wip creature head test


#1

a few minutes here and there, playing with the renderer.

no displace and using procedural textures (AON) and radiosity:

displace started, no radiosity, SSS with the basic shader:

I have a hard time with the basic shader along with radiosity and shadows…
CC welcome.


#2

Looks like you need to crank it up more. Freaky models though. Thanks for sharing.


#3

looks good so far. remindes me of the money man in the short Bingo.
keep em coming :slight_smile:


#4

reminds me of the creature from dogma…


#5

Which was done in messiah.

Fred


#6

crazy!
the things you learn, i tell ya :wink:


#7

tks for the feedback I will continue to add detail and tweak some parts.
Another render with the custom shader along with procedurals. No radiosity yet. no painted texture.
I have color corrected the image in Photoshop .
PMG any chance for some sort of surface backer in the next update ?


#8

no way!! are you serious?


#9

Dogma was one of the films that we developed messiah during. And specifically, that’s where messiah’s Melt effect came from. Taron did those Golgoth shots. I used messiah for the flying Bartleby shots I did.

Fred


#10

never saw this film.Have you a few screenshots ( and some with the rig in messiah) Fred?


#11

Well I’ll be dipped in buttermilk!


#12

and called susan?


#13

LOL

touche


#14

props for the dogma effect btw. Had no idea, do you guys have a list of where messiah was used?


#15

SSS(basic shader) and radio test.No displace.


#16

basic shader + radio. very long render time ( 1 bounce , 5 sample gi, AA lvl3 0.015 ).
a little bit of post => “layered hdr” for contrast.


#17

what are you considering a long render time to be?


#18

I have render the image over night on my 2.6 p4. the render time was around 3 hours but messiah is not reliable at all regarding this information (in my experience). pregenerated polys lvl 2, I have used the ZB model (subdiv lvl 1 -> 17000 quads) as a base.
Another thing, I have used only 1 displacement map ( face part. 4096x4096. you can see the seam). I am not sure if there’s some displacement on this image ( bump only I think ).


#19

3 hours is a tad long. I’ve achieved much better times(less than 1 hour) using displacement mapping with Lightwave’s renderer using a similar machine.


#20

Well considering Taron’s amazing Z-brush work renders in around 2 minutes a frame. . . 3 hours is. . . Something is wrong.