Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory 2005

One of the greatest cult classics of all time, “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory” was on T.V. the other night, and I decided to look up the actors and stuff on imdb. After clicking through some links, I found this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0367594/

Has anyone heard about this before? Check out who’s directing it, and who’ll be playing the starring role of Willy Wonka. It’ll be awesome to see this remake/readaptation.

Are we going to be seeing CG Oompa-Loompas in the near future? That’s a disturbing thought.

This film totally freaked me out as a child and I certainly wouldn’t be in any hurry to see a remake.

:argh:

Tim Burton is supposed to be directing it. With johnny Depp as Willy Wanka

Johnny Depp has been spectacular in every role he’s been in as of late. If you ask me, he’s perfect for the role. The story is admittedly dark, which is why I think Tim Burton is the perfect director for it. It would be interesting to see how this turns it in a non-musical environment.

Don’t confuse this movie with the old “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory”. For the old movie they changed a lot from the book… the book was a lot darker, and Raul Dahl(is that how you spell his name?) didn’t really like the movie 'cause it changed too much.

This is “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory”, named after the book itself. The writer hasn’t even seen the original, and Tim Burton is trying to keep it as close to the book as possible.

I, for one, am definitely looking forward to this. I rather enjoyed the original movie and would love to see Tim Burton’s take on the original story.

This is going to rock.

Originally posted by Spankspeople
Don’t confuse this movie with the old “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory”. For the old movie they changed a lot from the book… the book was a lot darker, and Raul Dahl(is that how you spell his name?) didn’t really like the movie 'cause it changed too much.

Huh? I never reead the book but I think there is a sinister side to the Willy Wonka version not to mention that trippy bad acid psychadelic aspect of it.

As usual there will allways be those who complain about the movie not following the book clos eenough but I don’t agree that this is allwasy a good thing although it is often bad. Specifically I would say it kind sucks to see a murder mystery movie that has the same ending as the book… if you read the book you would know exactly what is going to happen. I’d see this remake simply for the art direction and Depp as Wonka. Personally I’d rather not see CG Ompa Lompas… little people need jobs too y’know :wink:

Depp is a good actor and brings alot of character to his roles, but some movies should be left alone as classics not remakes. I have a hard time believing anyone better for Wonka than Gene Wilder. He had the crazy hair and everything. He even pulled off the anger and mean streak.
Tim Burton is great for dark artistic movies, but Hollywood needs some original thought, not re-makes. It’s like the sit-com/tv episodes where they go down memory lane. There is no creative story telling, just a rehash.

I hope they remake Star Wars, Ben Affleck will make a better Han Solo and Toby Maguire as Luke:rolleyes:

>>>Tim Burton is great for dark artistic movies, but Hollywood needs some original thought, not re-makes. It’s like the sit-com/tv episodes where they go down memory lane. There is no creative story telling, just a rehash.

Well hopefully it won’t be like that… and unless they really try to tell the story different than the original movie then it is just a remake and it will take more than art direction and Depp to pull that off.

>>>I hope they remake Star Wars, Ben Affleck will make a better Han Solo and Toby Maguire as Luke:rolleyes:

Sound of vomiting

Best film news I have heard for along time.

Could Johnny Depp replicate the bulging explosive performance of Gene Wilder?. My two favourite actors are to have the same role playing the post war sweet manufacturing Swiss/German/Belgic giant.

This film is a supreme testement to the seven sins of human kind , Gluttony, Pride, Envy, Greed, Anger, lust and Sloth. And a lot of others thrown in for good measure.

“Give it to us raaaw”

PM

Originally posted by Leigh
[B]This film totally freaked me out as a child and I certainly wouldn’t be in any hurry to see a remake.

:argh: [/B]

I like Your new avatar!

The original was soo drugged out:eek: Everything was edible yummy!!! This story is timeless!

I think Johnny Depp would make a perfect Wonka, just not a perfect Prince of Persia.:thumbsup:

I still open chocolate bars thinking I would find something special. Not maggots!

Dang, all those kids in teh movie were on a sugar HIGH:cool:

i love johnny depp. i think he is the best character actor of his time, but didnt tim burton learn his lesson the last time he remade an old movie? i still want to see it because it seems cool, but im not getting my hopes up on it being a great film.

Originally posted by XLNT 3d
Depp is a good actor and brings alot of character to his roles, but some movies should be left alone as classics not remakes.

This not a remake. It’s an entirely new movie straight from the book. They certainly aren’t setting out to re-do the old movie, which took more than a few liberties with the source material.

It’s like the new Troy movie. Sure, there have been other movies using the same material before it, but it’s not a remake of any of them.

Originally posted by Kijop
I like Your new avatar!

I like your style, sir.

Maybe “re-make” is the wrong word. A “new movie straight from the book” will still be compared to other movies produced from the same book.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

i wonder what rating their aiming for? Tim Burton can make a great movie PG or R. if its rater R [which i kinda don’t see] it would be a very, very scary movie. and after seeing Depp in Pirates, he would make a great Wonka.

mp3 playing right now to get me in the Wonka state of mind… “Prelude (The Family Trip)”

Originally posted by kole
“Prelude (The Family Trip)”

Thats too funny:D

Hey I want the soundtrack! Someone get me a Hershey’s Bar!

Roald Dahl, the author of the book Charlie and the Chocolate Factory wrote the screenplay for “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.” He took liberties of his own in adapting the book to a more general audience. If I’m not mistaken, the Oompa-Loompas, aren’t orange-skinned green-haired little people in the book, but dark-skinned pygmies. But obviously, certain things had to be changed to appeal to a more general audience, and to make it more interesting when the Oompa-Loompas would sing and dance.

I thought the remake of “Planet of the Apes” was quite well done, and I think this readaptation of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory will go the same way. The way I see it, Movie remakes are meant to complement the original, not necessarily replace them. You’re not contaminating the original if you do a remake…instead, you’re paying tribute to it. I still thoroughly enjoy watching the original “Planet of the Apes” movies, but I also enjoy the 2001 remake.

speaking of remakes, wouldn’t it be cool to reinsert the golden ticket contest!!! have 5 winners go see the opening with all the stars! i would get a kick out of going to the store and buying one, hoping the golden ticket was in there…

…then again, they wouldn’t put the ticket in the packaging, they would give you a number to type in at www.wonka.com and make you sign up for newsletters and junk…

…ah, just forget it.