Who are your LW heroes?

Show us LW artists you admire!

-R

I admire you all cause i suck :slight_smile:

ta

Jarrod Pudsey … A Sydney area LW’er.
He’s a pal and my guru. See some of his work here …

http://www.atomichouse.net

My lightwave hero is Strike!!! Not for his artistic ability, but for his boldness! :scream:

I admire everyone who is more skilled than I am.

unfortunatly that counts for me too, almost everyone here is more skilled than I am.

But like said before, Strike’s work is always great and inspiring.

And of course Leigh’s work, but that’s mostly because of her awsome texturing skills

The top ten I can think of (you can debate the order)

1. Ron Thorton -the Foundation of a lot of peoples’ carreers.
  2. John Gross- From Seaquest through Star Trek, a LW muse.
  3. Michael Sherak - Interplaying the game industry to LW
  4. Taron - The reigning King of Metanurbs
  5. Robert Baldwin - Nick D’s cel man and starship trooper
  6. Tim Wilcox - Previsionary for lots of movies
  7. Andrew Harlow - Dune’s townmaker and modeler
  8. Edwin Emile Smith - Zoic lead and foundation big shot maker
  9. John Davis - DNA Studios visionary deserved that Oscar nod
  10. Susan Ishida - Reigning Queen of Metanurbs.

YMMV, of course. I’m just a bit prejudiced about number 10, being my wife. Still, we needed some feminine representation in a male dominated industry.

:applause:

LW heroes…??? Well, I think the right LW heroes are guys who made LW as it is. :shame: Without them, you couldn’t see any LW subheroes here, or somewhere around.
:applause: :applause: :applause:

Taron, Tajino, Graham McKenna, Dan Maas.

In no particular order:

Terrence Walker - for giving me the inspiration to try to create anime on my own.

Larry “Splinegod” Shultz - for showing me a zillion things on the NewTek tour - but mostly for showing me a great modified box-modeling method for my organic modeling. My workflow went up 300% since I watched someone who knew what they were doing.

Lee Stranahan for being the down-to-earth guy he is about the features in LW. He also listens to us while conducting the LW tour and gives feedback to Newtek.

William “Proton” Vaughn - for his contributions and “evangelising” - it matters a lot to have Proton around. Let Newtek know that, somebody!

All the people using LW in a production environment.

Anyone who has ever created an on-line LW tutorial - I really thank you!

The past & present programmers at Newtek - from what I saw of the on-line Siggraph sessions, LW is only going to get much better.

My wife - for having the understanding to be a “Lightwave Widow” and allow me to pursue my passion, while I hold down a day job.

In no particular order: Strike (despite the Poser “scandal”, the guy still makes awesome stuff); Proton (what a cool guy), Taron (don’t know him personally, but his work is absolutely amazing); Steve Worley (ok, he’s not an artist as such, but his plugins totally and utterly kick ass); Emanuele Salvucci and then a bunch of other people from this very forum - Policarpo Wood, Tim Albee, Nick Boughen… actually, this list could go on and on…

there are no more heroes…this topic is out of date :slight_smile:

Perhaps “hero” is too strong a word for me, but here’s a list of some peeps that inspired, motivated and encouraged me in some form or another:

Remi, Kretin, Xtrm3d - incredible character work that makes me just want to keep on working

Proton - he’s da’ man, 'nuff said.

Splinegod- a veritable cornucopia of LW knowledge

The community- for being the coolest one out there!!!

Peace & Pixels.

My buddies Dave Jerrard and Jen Hachigian.

Andrew Harlow—Just saw his demo reel and I was speechless.

Dariusz Zwierzynsky and Dmitry Savinoff

Splinegod

Tim Pyle—Another buddy of mine who animated the creature in Children of Dune…

what?
nobody metioned Dan Ablan who has been so influential through his numerous Inside Lightwave tomes.

All of these guys are very good but i love Kursad Karatas most(www.plecxus.com). And number 2 Tajino, 3 is Taron.

Too much to list em all but first of all plugin programmers and scripters. The ‘silent’ heroes. They do a lot for the community but don`t get that much attention. David Ikeda,Worley,d-storm guys, the list is long…

Originally posted by nostromo_va
[B]In no particular order:

Terrence Walker - for giving me the inspiration to try to create anime on my own.[/B]

Ditto that. The thing I admire the most about his work is that he had the cojones to go for it in the indie market, on his own capital. Though anime is not my medium, his success would bea very good sign for the rest of us who harbor ideas of creating, marketing and distributing our own content.

I’d add Kevin “Q” Quattro and PJ Foley, former colleagues at Westwood. Both former Foundation guys. Q was nominated for an FX Emmy on the Buffy finale last month, and PJ was director on at least one of the “Roughnecks” episodes before he joined us at Westwood. Both are now at ZOIC.

Chuck Carter. Kickass concept artist and modeler, one of the four guys who did the first “Myst” game, and much of the level work on the cancelled “Renegade 2” game.

Todd Widup, last but not least; great reference source, moral support, and now kicking some a$$ down under at WETA.

Not to knock any of the others named, but I’ve worked with all of these guys here, and owe much to them in terms of experience and knowledge.

There are alot of the of course… but I must give another hand for
Kursad Karatas/Plecxus :applause:
Still haven´t seen anything quite like his monstrous art

Originally posted by CourtJester
[B]Originally posted by nostromo_va
In no particular order:

Terrence Walker - for giving me the inspiration to try to create anime on my own.

Ditto that. The thing I admire the most about his work is that he had the cojones to go for it in the indie market, [/B]

I whole heartedly agree. We followed in his footsteps making our little Wonderlens project come to life. I do hope the Indie market spreads a wealth of opportunity to those artists who seek to be their own production company. To help you along we have some behind the scenes stuff at:

http://www.wonderlens.com/behindthescenes.htm

and out Tech TV interview has a timeline to help you get started:
http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/howto/story/0,24330,3462112,00.html