Where is everybody

Im 17 years old and I’m considered a millennial. I understand what your saying I want to be a concept artist or a freelance artist. I think people are getting away from art. at least the school I go to is. My High school does mostly sports and have no regard for art. It’s sad. But I will say im motivated and I never had a singular person teaching me art. My aunt taught me to draw then I went and took 2d art at school then. I took photography then I too film I love learning all forms of art. I can draw a bad drawing and I have class mates that think I’m a pro. And I will say that a lot of younger people don’t do life drawing. they don’t draw from real objects. they do a lot of fan art. and its sad. but there can still be hope for art in my generation.

To that end, I will give a quick shout out to Roberto. He’s always been respectful, helpful, friendly, and otherwise professional.

Having said that, however, let’s be clear about one thing. Without calling out anybody, not all of these “beating hearts” were as much of a gem as Roberto. A few of them were downright rotten. Angry. Confrontational. Dismissive. Power hungry. Abusive. It is only in the rarest of cases where their behavior was justified. Most of the time, unfortunately, it was little more than a demonstration of lackluster social skills. These individuals weren’t keeping the peace. They were driving good members away, not just the trolls.

I agree. The people behind the scenes are the heart of any such community. However, a few of these so-called “professionals” were anything but. Ultimately, it left CG Talk feeling like a very uninviting place to be. You didn’t always want to be here, but it was the only place to connect with a few otherwise hard to contact mates. You just kinda had to navigate around these volunteers, at least if you wanted to preserve your sanity.

I wish that it were all sunshine and roses, but that beating heart was sometimes rotten. Again, I won’t name names, but you “old timers” here probably already know who I’m talking about.

For starters, at age 17, I think that you’re a few years too young to be a Millennial. You’re the newer and (hopefully) better model, Generation Z. Take comfort in knowing that the Millennial’s reputation isn’t yours. :slight_smile:

ANYWAY… To the point, that’s the sad state of most high schools, unfortunately. Budgets get slashed. Priorities change. Classes like gym and art get deemed “frivolous” instead of “necessary.”

If the passion is there inside of you, follow it. There are tons of resources everywhere. There are those, such as myself, who will take time out of their day to help you and point you in the right direction when you get lost. Even if these communities are not quite what they used to be, you’re not alone. You sometimes just have to look harder.

TBH, as an artist, I wish that I were in high school today. My old alma mater’s campus now has a huge center for the arts. They also have labs with dedicated CG workstations, instructors who (iirc) teach Maya at all levels, and allow students time for independent projects and showings. I wish that stuff were around when I was a student. Guess I was born too early. :stuck_out_tongue:

I just applied to a university.

http://catalog.vinu.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=31&poid=19133&hl="2100"&returnto=search

I think this is the perfect degree to do.

Any thoughts since your an artist yourself?

I’m not exactly the best person to ask this question. Like a lot of people here, I’m self-taught. Everything that I learned, I figured out on my own. That’s largely because when I started:

a. I was still 15 and college still was a lil’ bit off.
b. It was 1989. The tech was still in its infancy. The software was crude and expensive. Today’s common knowledge was yesterday’s trade secret. The idea that any major university would teach this stuff wasn’t on anybody’s mind.
c. There were no training materials and certainly no internet. Anything CG related (ie. books) almost always had to do with coding ray-tracers or simulations.

That said, looking at the syllabus, if you want to do CG then this is not the major for you. The 3D portion is VERY basic. It probably won’t teach you anything that you couldn’t learn on your own by watching a few Youtube videos.

The major itself is far more focused on the more essential elements of design as well as some traditional art basics. If 3D is really what you want to learn then I would think VERY hard about how you spend your time and money. A major such as this would likely prepare you for a life of designing magazine ads, concert posters, or promotional material for corporations instead of working on games, movies, and so on.

The way I see it, you have a few options - none of which are to skip school, btw.

OPTION #1:

You can take this major, learn as much as you can about design, art theory, and so on. Either concurrently or right after, you could then supplement what you just learned in school with some independent study. Learn from some Youtube videos. Buy some topic specific training material from Gumroad. Subscribe to a service such as Pluralsight or Udemy where you can stream various courses.

All of what you do on your own time will require you to be self-disciplined and dedicated. Nobody will be grading you. You’ll have to create art on your own time and get feedback from online communities. It’ll all be an additional expense and bit of risk; Not all videos are made equal. Some are better and more informative than the others. It depends on the artist making the video.

On the plus side, however, you’ll learn some real world techniques covering topics that DO interest you. With enough practice, eventually, you’ll be producing beautiful work like the stuff that you see online. Also, because it’s independent study, you’ll be the one pacing yourself. If you feel that character modeling is still far too advanced or esoteric of a topic for you to approach properly, you can choose to start with something simpler and work your way up. You’re setting the tone and, effectively, designing your own personal major.

The reason for still taking this “official” major boils down to two very basic things. First, a diploma is never a bad thing to have. It gives you a little cred. Second, while it may not have anything to do with 3D specifically, a good artist also knows a thing or two about more traditional topics.

I’ll be honest with you. I can’t draw for crap. Never could. No matter how hard I try, I still suck. HARD. :stuck_out_tongue: However, I’ve been aided by the fact that I’ve taken a handful of art history and theory classes along the way. I understand what separates good composition from bad. I know the importance that light and shadow play in a piece. I know the difference between hot colors and cold, what complements something and what contradicts, and so on. Using real clay, I’ve also taught myself the fundamentals of human and animal anatomy. I’m not great at all forms of traditional art, but I do shine (enough) in others that it has helped my CG work over the years.

Having a traditional art background can really make you a better CG artist. Unlike Super Smash Bros, CG isn’t about button mashing until you get the win. There’s a time and a place for technical artists, but knowing more traditional art and design can help further your creativity if that’s your thing.

OPTION #2:

All of that 3D self-study stuff that I suggested above. However, instead of going for a 2 year visual design degree, maybe opt for a more pedestrian liberal arts 4 year degree with a minor in art.

The liberal arts major can be something “normal” like English, finance, or whatever. A minor in art, however, can let you explore all of that stuff about art history, theory, and design in a way that gives you an overview, but in a way that sets you up for success moving into your 3D self-study.

Going for a regular, boring liberal arts degree isn’t a waste of time though. For one thing, you want to be a well rounded person, not just a well rounded artist. There’s something to be said for reading the works of Plato, discussing the cultural impact of Wuthering Heights, or just taking a French class.

People say that you’ll never use that stuff in real life or that you’ll soon forget it. However, there’s stuff that I learned in the 7 years that I took Latin (grades 6-12), that I still find ways to slip into conversations today. If all you can talk about is work stuff then you’ll be damn boring at social functions. :stuck_out_tongue: Granted, talking about how ancient doctors in Athens or Rome diagnosed diabetes is just as boring, but it beats talking about how one co-worker hates your or is sleeping with the boss. :smiley:

The other advantage of a liberal arts degree is that it’s a little less demanding than if you had been focused on, say, physics or computer science. You read some books, write some papers, and take some tests. Not a whole lot of big projects or lab work to take your time. Most college students would use that extra time party (f— yeah), but YOU - being the industrious type that you are - can put your nose to the grindstone and learn how to create badass art.

OPTION #3:
Find a school that offers a more CG oriented major. Maybe find one that only offers CG and is taught by industry vets.

The plus side is that you’ll get training for people who do this stuff for a living, the stuff that you learn won’t just come from text books, and you’ll be learning modern topics instead of stuff that’s 5 or 10 years out of step.

One downside might be that you’d probably have to leave Indiana. If going that far from home and spending money on housing expenses is out of your budget then that could pose a problem. More over, such programs tend to have fairly competitive entry requirements. I can’t speak from personal experience though. You’ll have to find some graduates of said programs.

WHATEVER OPTION YOU CHOOSE…

Never stop learning. Always use that free time that you have to learn something new. The moment that you stop learning, you’re dead in the water. You can be in the business for 20 years and you’ll always have to find time to stay on top of the latest technology and techniques. CG is forever evolving and so should you as an artist.

Also, take that “Ten Thousand Hours Rule” to heart. If you don’t know what I’m saying then let me quickly explain. The idea is that, to master any skill, you need about 10k hours worth of practice to go from zero to hero. If 10k hours sounds like a lot to you… it isn’t. In practice, it’s really just about the same amount of time you’ll spend getting a college degree - 4 to 5 years.

Honestly? Nobody really becomes a master. You can be at it for 5 years or 50 and, as I said, there’s always something new to learn. However, after 10k hours, you won’t suck like you definitely will during your first 100.
Make no mistake about it. You WILL suck for the first few weeks (or more). The critiques you get, even if they’re super helpful, won’t be all that glowing. Hearing that your works sucks will hurt. As long as you take it in stride and internalize the helpful suggestions, you’ll be fine. Every new work that you create will eventually suck a bit less than the last. Eventually, the only one that’ll think that you suck will be you and, if you’re lucky, people will pay you. :slight_smile:

ANYWAY… Unless money’s a big problem, which I can identify with, never skip school. Do you want to break your poor mother’s heart? :wink:

(As long as you’ve got the talent to back it up, you can still be employable without a degree. Having one never hurt though. In certain fields, having a degree is also a must if you want to get to more management type level. Even then, I know a bunch of people who never went to college and make $200k per year. Higher education - if you can afford it - is still a very good idea, imo.)

This forum will die like all the rest because it needs to CONSOLIDATE.
splitting a dwindling community into a hundred different sections is so wrong.

Just condense all the different sections into like 4-5 main sections and leave it at that.

Sadly, Tad, they’ve done that a few times over in the 17 (?) years I’ve been on this site. Consolidation and simplification sound nice, but it rarely works out.

Expansion and specialization invariably occur to meet the demands of the members. “Why can’t this app have its own group? Shouldn’t we have a dedicated group for that topic? Can we have a pro/newbie only section? Can we separate news from general discussion?” Whether it’s CG Talk or some other site, it always happens.

Also, four or five groups might sound great in theory, but it can also lead to section side traffic that might cause good/important threads to get lost in the chatter.

@Dakotah Culver

Looking at what you have in your gallery, allow me too make a few recommendations about how you should learn 3D. Just personal opinion, but here are my suggestions.

1. Put the sculpting part aside for a little bit. You can get back to that other stuff soon. Just put it aside for the moment.
  2. Learn your basic poly modeling tools. Master how to extrude, bevel, bridge, boolean, and so on. Learn how to spin edges, flip normals, create poly/edge loops, etc etc etc. Being able to poly model at any level, be it poly-by-poly or working from the default cube - is essential. You’ll need it to create props, base meshes for characters, or just creating a lower poly version of your sculpt.
  3. Practice you UV Mapping, which is the process of assigning 2D texture space coordinates to a 3D model. This is necessary whether you’re painting textures on the model or baking high resolution details to a lower poly game spec model. Learn what material channel does what and why it’s important.
  4. Learn about your lighting setups, particularly 3-point. A poorly lit scene doesn’t just look ugly at render time. It can also make modeling time a nightmare.

Along the way, you’re going to create bunch of basic, but necessary models. Make some chairs, coffee cups, video game controllers, and other more normal objects. Models like this are super boring for some people, but they’re excellent exercises. If you can’t model a handgun or a sword, expect a character model or corvette to be SO much harder to create.

If characters are your end game, go back and learn about anatomy. You don’t need to learn EVERY single muscle, but understanding the difference between a bicep and deltoid is a must if you want something to be believable. Having an oddly proportioned character is fine, but not knowing what the proper proportions are is bad. Even if you’re just interested in doing cartoon characters, it’s still important to know this stuff. Style is what comes later. IOW, to break the rules, you must first know them.

At some point, when you feel more comfortable, go back to your sculpting mode or app. Practice what you’ve learned.

No single post can do this topic justice, tbh.

There’s also no right way to learn CG. Everybody’s different. There IS one really bad way to learn it though. Rushing yourself is a recipe for disaster. Those advanced topics are mighty tasty, but they’re advanced for a reason.

A lot of newbies think that these apps are so advanced that you can push a few buttons and BAM… awesome model. If only. :slight_smile: LOL :slight_smile: No.

Experience is additive. Every good model builds on the failures of the ones before it. Material that you learn today can only be understood by mastering the lessons from yesterday. Crawl->Walk->Run->Fly

You’re going to make a LOT of bad models along the way. That’s fine. We’ve all been there. Just don’t rush yourself. Suffer through the basics. Work your way up the difficulty ladder.

Starting with the hard stuff before having any foundation is kinda like jumping to the end of a novel. Ms Mango killed Mr Gonzo with the famed Marlow Stick. AWESOME! MYSTERY SOLVED! Wait. Who are these people? Why did she kill him? What’s the hell is the Marlow Stick?

By jumping to the end, you deprive yourself of the journey and all that’s gained as a result. You’re worse off instead of better. Experience is often more powerful than knowledge alone.

I suspect that you’re using Blender.

Blendernation often links to some great tutorials. Again, don’t be afraid to shell out a few bucks for some downloadable courses from Gumroad or Blender Market; “Blender 2.8 Full Training From Beginner To Pro” will set you back by about $70, but it covers a LOT of material. It’ll take you from how to use the interface all the way through modeling, texturing, sculpting, animation, rendering, simulation, and compositing.

It’s a 34 hour beast of a video training course, but you’ll feel SO much more confident moving forward after having followed along with it. Worth every dime.

You can also find some good videos by Yansculpts. ZBrush related videos by Shane Olsen can show you how to construct a base mesh from simple primitives. These artists are bit more advanced and assume that you know certain things. That’s why I directed you to that 34 hour course first.

As far as anatomy books go… “Cyclopedia Anatomicae” and “Anatomy for 3D Artists” Trust me. You won’t regret them.

General Blender books… “Blender for Dummies”, “Blender 3D By Example”, “Learning Blender”, & “Introducing Character Animation with Blender” That 34 hour course is a whopper and a must, but having printed material to fall back on never hurts. I never use my Blender books, but still like knowing that they’re there just in case I want to look something up.

Regardless, it’s not about the tools. As I’ve said before, a good artist can make the most of even a bad tool. However, there’s no tool in the world - no matter how amazing - that will make a bad artist good. Learn those basics. Color theory. Composition. Anatomy. Classic principles such as the rule of 3rds or the golden spiral. Go to a museum. Pick up an art history book. Study your favorite artists.

Becoming a great artist starts well before you even pick up a mouse or stylus.

(OT: Buy a tablet if you aren’t already using one. They’re a must for texturing and sculpting. You’ll go bonkers without one. Wacom is the tablet that most vets use, but a cheaper Huion will do just fine if your on a budget.)

I really hope you find your way, you deserve the best.
In my opinion, there are lots of chances you will finally get a CG related job, and it will be great.
BUT, there are lots of chances NOT to get a CG related job, so you should think about getting most common knowledge things like “how to sell yourself”. Regarding to that topic, I highly recommend you to go to Allan Mackay web and watch his videos about how to get a job in the industry, because he made LOTS of mistakes and talks about them in order for YOU to NOT repeating them.
Cheers.

Thank you for all the info guys.
But I was mainly referring to forums as a source where you can ask experts about specific app tools and methods (ex: generating LODs in Maya) not for exposure, If one decide to migrate from CG talk, Art station is not an option because it does not have forums . I guess the way to go know would be teh Apps forum (ex: autodesk maya) or Polycount which is a bit more broad.

the thing is, customers often ask for what they think they want, then once you give it to them, they’ll stop using your services.
This happens in many businesses.

You can’t just give customers whatever they ask for and ignore what keeps your business going.

Forum consolidation is really really simple.
All you need to do is look at all the tiny subforums with posts that go unanswered.
Every single one of those is a user who tried to use your forum and found it to be useless.

That’s death for a forum.

That too is, I think, an oversimplification. Without feature requests and end user input, the open source community would be nothing. More over, to suggest that they’ll stop using your service or product implies that you can fulfill every request. It’s a fallacious statement simply because we’re looking at a moving target. The end user can present you with a wish list of 100 features today and there will still be 100 more waiting in the wings. It never really ends. The more you give, the more they demand.

There’s definitely something to be said regarding what the end user wants versus what they actually need. In practice, the customer doesn’t always know best. Still, the real magic trick is in finding and maintaining that delicate balance.

You’re right in suggesting that sustainability depends on meeting the demands of the greatest number of users. To ignore that bottom 1% would be a mistake though. Fulfillment of all requests has to be prioritized. You first meet the demands of the product itself (eg. fixing bugs or maintaining compatibility). You then meet the demands and needs of the core users (ie. those keeping you afloat). From there, time and resources permitting, you at least look into meeting the demands or requests of that 1%. Even if they’re a tertiary or quaternary concern, you should at least make it seem as if every end user matters.

I firmly subscribe to the notion that you can satisfy all of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time, but never all of the people all of the time. Still, even if you can’t please everybody, it’d still be a shame to not reach out to the most users that you can.

Finding that balance is tricky. I agree. I just don’t think that any company can decide to appeal to one group and tell the other group to screw themselves. That’s how you end up becoming Autodesk. They listen to the studios and cater to them. They cater to the students who will eventually work at them. Everybody in-between (eg. indies)… Go f— yourselves.

In doing it that way, the consequences aren’t immediate, but may be potentially felt later on - once the tides turn and the market (or sentiment) shifts. In this particular case, just because ADSK is the de facto standard doesn’t always mean that’ll be the case. Nothing lasts forever… By ignoring a group of consumers they deem insignificant to their master plan, they’re showing poor foresight. What happens if and when that anti-ADSK sentiment bleeds over to the studio users?

Catering to one cash cow group doesn’t always work out, especially when they decide to change direction without notifying you. That can also happen if you let hubris rule your decision making process and say, “Only WE know what’s best. We’ll give it to them and they’ll like it.” That doesn’t always work out so well; It just makes it look as if you don’t listen to anybody because you think that you’re the only game in town.

ANYWAY… This is not about ADSK. However, you get my point. It’s a tightrope walk.

Probably hanging out either on the developer’s forums where you’re 100% sure to find like minded users OR on smaller dedicated FB groups. On issues of technique and methodology, unless you’re using an app specific feature to accomplish the task, the vast majority of techniques are app agnostic. You may have to make a few tweaks here and there to get it to work with your app, but CG is pretty much still CG no matter the program. I DO get what you’re driving at though. I’m just saying that, unless the app is the problem, the app can usually be removed from the equation.

@cookepuss

Well hadn’t been my experience, perhapes due mostly too spending my time when I was an active contributor here in the Art Techniques section.

I’ve been around the block more than a couple of times so I’m not naive to suggest there wasn’t on occassion some robust, very frank discourse between staff and membership however be that as it may in terms of self progression I’ve nothing but gratitude for those years spent treading these boards honing my craft.

So special shoutout goes to Robert Chang, huge thumbs up man! you really opened my jaded eyes, thought I knew it all…doh my bad not in the slightest : P

I still have to disagree. I think you’re overthinking this a bit.
A lot of what you say is correct. But there is so many different bits of information going on that I think you’re missing the main picture.
Just look at how the forums are going currently.
Look at how many posts there are that go unanswered.
The most popular sections are 2/3 full of posts with no responses or only a couple.

No one wants to use a forum where there’s no discourse going on, and if the most popular sections are that bad. Just imagine how useless and pointless the tiny subsections are?

If you just got rid of the tiny subsections, then all the people that go to those (because they’re following the architecture of the forum) would naturally go to the larger main sections that remain.

Well @cookepuss you’ve covered just about everything. It would be great to return to the heyday but everything that’s been tried by this site has whittled it down to ‘the other ArtStation’. I’ve never Facebooked so I was unaware of the exodus until everyone was gone.

The funny thing is, I actually came here today because I have a question and I literally don’t know any other place to ask it. I’m going to give the General thread a whirl but I’m not too optimistic. ZBrushCentral would be the best place but it has never been geared to questions as much as a gallery and now after it’s latest site refresh its become ‘the 3rd ArtStation’. I really hate that new layout. :face_vomiting: :grin:

As far as the younger folks, I keep finding myself in situations where I know I could help someone but I feel like I should first ask if they REALLY want honest criticism before letting them have it. And then I move along because I really don’t care that much. My kids would be GenZ’ers but I’m raising them like I was so I’ve dubbed them GenX2 (Squared). Hasn’t caught on yet.

@RobertoOrtiz is the best. I still see him on App specific websites building up the community as he always does. Sigh, the best thing about this place to me was being a highly experienced hobbyist isolated in south Louisiana, it was one of the few places I could have direct discourse with pros doing the work I wanted to do. I got to chat directly with Rick Baker during the Ray Harryhausen modeling contest. How cool is that! (He won, legitimately I might add.)

You’d think that was the case but this came up years ago. I noticed an odd trend when participation started to wane. Posts with 1 or 2 responses but hundreds of views. Well, check it out now. It’s the same situation. I just checked the news section and I see the same thing. Plenty of posts with 1 or 2 responses and dozens of views. The site is still getting traffic but nobodies talking. I couldn’t explain it then and I still can’t.

FYI, I found that old thread from 2016. Basically the same discussion.

Mmmm, was the forum more consolidated back then?
Maybe it was the same problem needing the same solution.

I’ve been a member here for about 17 years. Because of that, I had to use the “Wayback Machine” to jog my memory. :wink: Looking back? No. “Consolidated” isn’t the word that I’d use; “More Diverse” and “Smaller” maybe.

I sample some cached snapshots from every year since I joined (~2002) and noticed that, by and large, the number of sub-forums only increased over time. The count would fluctuate occasionally adding a few and archiving others, but the sweet spot was around 58-64 during CG Talk’s heyday.

Barring a few cosmetic redesigns, the general organization itself has mostly stayed the same throughout. A little shifting here and there, usually to add/delete supported apps, but the greater organization and focus didn’t change drastically from 2002-2017. It was really only within the past 12 months that CG Talk decided to reorganize in a tangible way.

Greater emphasis has been put on ADSK apps. Where CG Talk’s top level used to have only 3 or 4 ADSK related groups, it now has 13 with a half dozen more nested within. Consequently, popular apps like Photoshop & Painter have been dumped into a nested ghetto of “other apps” along with Blender & LightWave. I can see why LightWave might get that treatment, but Photoshop is an industry staple and Blender’s popularity keeps on rising.

I’m not saying that ADSK isn’t important and should be given little regard. I’m just saying that, in its history, CG Talk was more diverse community. The site still lists other non-ADSK apps, but you can clearly tell where CG Talk’s mind is at. It has effectively become an unofficial arm of ADSK, imo. That’s neither here, nor there though.

Size-wise, CG Talk has never really gotten smaller. Fluctuations and all, it has only trended bigger. When it started, the sub-forum count stood at around 25 or so. Today, it’s hovering around 80. That’s not the biggest change, however.

Looking back, there is one big staple that has pretty much disappeared. >> COMPETITIONS << Again, pick some dates on the Wayback Machine. You’re going to fund a bunch of them, sponsored and non-sponsored. Dominance War. FXWARS. Challenges for hardcore modeling, rigging, lighting, & texturing. NVIDIA sponsored competitions. Themed challenges. ETC and so on. There used to be whole sections devoted to large challenges and mini ones.

As I said, those things were huge draws. Today? Not even close. There is literally only one challenge listed and it ended 6 months ago.

Has the de-emphasis on challenges led to less traffic or has less traffic led to the de-emphasis on challenges? Chicken, meet Egg. You might not be able to show causation, but correlation does seem to follow.

IMO, the site today is ugly as sin, but that’s more an issue of cosmetics than size. CG Talk hasn’t been “small” since 2002 and has always been 55+ sub-forums large since about 2005. Size and lack of consolidation don’t seem to be the culprits. Talking a broad view of things, I still maintain that the reasons for the diminished traffic is a result of fewer/no challenges & a general shift to social media and portfolio sites instead of forums.

Getting all nostalgic or weepy over what was and what could’ve been is counterproductive. Nothing lasts forever and the only constant in life is change. I’d love for CG Talk to make a comeback. It’s generally been a good 17 years. I just don’t see it lasting for another 17. CG Talk might make it to its 20th anniversary, but I’d eat my hat if was still around 5 years from now.

LOL :smiley: I’d probably call my brother’s kids (11 & 7) “GenX+Tech”, but I was raised in a tech obsessed household with tons of games, computers, and gadgets. They just get the fancier & faster stuff. Lucky little jerks. :stuck_out_tongue: Nah. They’re pretty balanced. They probably see the sun more than I did when I was a kid. They get out and play. I was like a vampire.

Short answer? No. Long answer? No. lol

I’d like to say that I was just as thin skinned at their age, but that wasn’t the case. I would’ve killed for input and critiques. Sadly, there was nobody around. I feel like Cranky Kong, wanting to shake a cane and screaming at dem kids to get off my lawn. The sad truth is that lots of newbies either want instant results or tons of “likes” to show off. There has always been the sort of user looking for shortcuts, but it’s only worsened over years.

Lots of times, to them, you’re either a fan or a troll. Not much in-between. Not surprised though. We live in a culture where everybody’s told that they’re a winner even when they’re not. Everybody wants to be great and a winner, but the truth is that some people suck and are losers. That’s life. You can get better and win, but not a whole lot of people want to put in the work that entails.

I think that he used to haunt ZBrushcentral for a while. Haven’t been there in a bit though. And, yeah, I think that I remember his comp win. Wild. CG Talk used to be home to a bunch of renown vets from all walks. I remember watching newbies geek out whenever Stahlberg would post. It was like they had just met Van Gogh or the Beatles. You could almost hear the girlish squeals of delight. LOL

Honestly? It’s nice to remember the old days, but I think that I’m tired of bitching that we can’t go back. It’s not getting me (or us) anywhere. I wonder if we’re just spinning our wheels by not packing it in and leaving CG Talk behind. Blashphemy? Maybe. CG Talk might one day be “good” again, but “great” is in the rear view mirror. Not sure what’s left here for a lot of us, apart from the group bitchfests. Feels more like a support group some days.

Sorry, Dakotah, but a “Millenial” is someone who was a young adult in the year 2000. Not NOW.

That was the turn of the millenium., you see. That’s why they’re called millenials. Not because of their age NOW.

The Maya forum was at its height on the OLD site, from like 2005-2016 or so. This new site is what ruined that community. No archived searching? All that conversation, learning, helping, and troubleshooting - just GONE?

I also agree with CookePuss outright. I’m just saying that the Maya forums used to be FUNDAMENTAL here. If you wanted to learn Maya or solve problems, you came here. Then they trashed the site’s DATA (I don’t mind the new style) and nobody can find the answers anymore. So to me, that ruined the community since there was no more history.

Yeah I was confused. because in school we are still referred to as millennial. welp looks like I have to educate the teachers

Hehe, it’s become a catch all term for young whiners. Same as snowflakes. Those that melt under a little heat.

You know what, there were plenty of those guys when I was your age too. Work hard, listen to those with experience and you should do fine.

I agree with you on the contests. Those were the scheduled events that everyone looked forward to annually and came back for but they also had a two-edged effect.

The winners and runner ups would get such positive notoriety from them that it led to work which led to less time for activities such as posting long responses to websites. :wink: One specific example, the Master Servant challenge. Kris Costa won the 3D and Linda Bergkvist won the 2D. Both of them were active contributors that a lot of people enjoyed reading. After they won they got so busy, they just didn’t have time anymore. That kept happening year after year.

It’s not the only cause. Just one among many.