where do you get your info?

just thought i’d start a thread on this (cause i,m lookin for info & it might help others)

sites you recommend for good reviews, trends and products coming in the near future

i’ll start with

http://www.tomshardware.com

and for mac users

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/

I don’t really read alot of review sites unless I’m in the market for a new piece of hardware. Alot of the times, I’ll browse through forums to see what people who have purchased it are saying.

The forums/sites I frequent the most are :

www.rage3d.com - ATI products
www.nvnews.net - nVidia products
www.2cpu.com - dual systems
www.hardocp.com - general hardware articles
www.hardcoreware.net - gen hardware/some case modding
www.dpreview.com - digital camera reviews

oh yah, there’s

www.anandtech.com - gen hardware articles.

I’ve been reading anand/tomshardware less and less as of late. Their reviews just aren’t as well written as before, and sometimes they sound a little biased.

oh and,

www.beyond3d.com

Google

Some Russian enthusiasts:

http://www.digit-life.com

[edit] Greg Hess is up to date on his techbits.

Come to think of it i don’t have a favorite tech site. Good question.

I don’t visit tomshardware since they were sued for criminal slander. That and all the editors leaving, and a whole lotta of articles with made up numbers and arguments which were proven wrong by other sites, have left a sour taste in my mouth anytime that site is mentioned.

My primary sites.

www.aceshardware.com
www.tech-report.com
www.2cpu.com

www.ars-technica.com
www.maximum3d.com

www.frostytech.com (heatsinks)

and…one of the most original…

http://www.3dgameman.com/

Video reviews of products + snapshots of his wife.

Nothing better when you need to buy a case, figure out how a heatsink mounts, or how to modify a video card.

Visiting those sites gives you around 100 subsites to visit, but those aren’t my main ones.

much thanks to all…this will keep me busy for a while

hope it helps others as well

Originally posted by GregHess
I don’t visit tomshardware since they were sued for criminal slander. That and all the editors leaving, and a whole lotta of articles with made up numbers and arguments which were proven wrong by other sites, have left a sour taste in my mouth anytime that site is mentioned.

I never heard about this at all before, Greg. Do you have a link to the article or know the details of what happened? Looks like my suspicions about the crappy articles was right, and I’ll probably never visit the site again also.

I’d have to go and dig them up again. They would be present in the archives of the discreet 3dsmax forum if you wanted to just search there.

I’ll try and dig up some quick pointers, here’s some I found just by searching on goolge.com

http://www.vanshardware.com/articles/2002/03/020317_THG_Slander/020317_THG_Slander.htm

This is one of the first articles around the time when a large group of senior editors left the website.

If you know anything about computer hardware in general, the article will sicken you due to tons of gaping holes of knowledge, misrepresentation of products, and benchmarks with absolutely no meaningful results.

The one that always gets me is the 7% increase from a second cpu in max rendering. What a load of #!@)$(&!@(% crap. Sure if you render everything at 100x60 pixels and its a sphere.

Here’s another gem…

Blizzard and lightwave in the same sentence…oh what? Whats that? Blizzard only uses lightwave in production? Hmm…guess someone should tell the whole 3dsmax community that.

http://www.blizzard.com/jobopp/tech-cin-artist.shtml

(Just in case you didn’t know, blizzard is a 3dsmax house.)

Thats all i can find right now, but I’ll pull out some more current articles and point out a few inaccuracies here and there.

The one thing that upsets me most of all, is even though they recieve countless emails to fix some of the issues with their articles, they refuse to change them.

Hope that answers your question for now.

Thanks for the links Greg, I’ve been able to find out some more off Google, but that vanshardware one really opened my eyes.

I remember reading that article about dual systems around the time it was posted, and I do remember thinking that one sounded … well just … off. I ended up skimming through it afterwards. Now that you mentioned all that, I’m beginning to see it in there.

I’m pretty adamant against the site, as well as any other sites that post misinformation. The only thing worse then a computer user who doesn’t know jack, is one that knows something thats completely wrong and thinks their right.

Next thing you know your getting flooded with people angrily yelling about their dual processor performance and why nobody told them it was so crappy for 3d, when the exact opposite is of course is much more factual.

I’d rather those type of people just not bother writing articles at all. If you can’t post factual knowledge, then go mow the lawn or find a new trade.

Well, this is certainly a bit of a surprise. The server was too busy for me to reply when I first glanced over this thread but I just had to come back in and throw in my 2 pennies worth.

Everyone who pulled up THG, good call. I’ve been ‘affectionately’ refering to them as ‘corporate whores’ for some time now. No offense to anyone here, but I largely consider CGTalk as a community of digital artists, rather than hardware gurus (that’s not to say a good percentage of us don’t know our stuff :wink: ) and it pleases me that most of us can spot the misinformation they’re spreading.

But speaking from the inside out, as it were, it really does sicken me to see THG continue trading on their (rapidly diminishing, thank God) good name and pull in a decent amount of revenue by doing it.

As for all the other sites listed, I pretty much see the sites I frequent on a regular basis and some I visit less often than I’d like.

As for me, well I’m not sure about the rules on pimping as I don’t often feel the need on here, so I’ll look em up and maybe I’ll hook you up on my next post.

Till then, :beer:

i originally posted this cause i’ll i knew pretty much was THG & i was finding contrary info elsewhere…

i am an artist that is right brained dominant and when it comes to left brain stuff ( hardware, tech info and stuff) none of it makes any sense…so, with that handicap to start and then finding contrary info, i was ( but now a little less) confused

my last pc has died and i have hooked up an old one to get me on the web to figure what i want to build for my next ( my first build)… this is for 3d, no games

the sites listed have helped alot and i am stayin away from THG thanks to those that posted

" No offense to anyone here, but I largely consider CGTalk as a community of digital artists, rather than hardware gurus"

I’d have to say that it was CG that taught me everything I know about hardware. When the digital 3d bug bit me back in 96 (Yes I’m a baby 3d user), i was appauled at how slow my p166 was. My 64 megs of ram just weren’t cutting it. So I upgraded and built my first pc…It sucked ass. Next thing you know I’m reading thousands of articles trying to figure how to build a dual cpu machine on a college students budget…

Next thing you know I’m the only guy on the floor with a dual system, 600 megahertz celerons at that. (Dual 300a’s overclocked), running 512 megs of ram, which back in 98 in a business driven university, was equivilant to half the dorm floor’s ram added together.

Needless to say, here i am today trying to figure the % performance gain clawhammer is going to give my ever growing lists of clients…the dual celerons completely fried in a case for memories. (Anyone who tells you overclocking can’t damage cpu’s is FULL OF #@!$).

I feel that knowing computer hardware just expands upon the palette of choices the artist has. Plus it really helps during crunch time when your machines are outproducing other people’s entire render farms.

:slight_smile:

i hope i didn’t offend any one with my “artist” statement,…and i agree that this is a site primarily consisting of artists and not techies

i was just trying to point out that my brain works very spacially…reading mass articles, numbers and the like is not my forte, and takes a little more effort on my part to correctly catorgorize everything to where it starts to make sense

this side of it is new to me, and its not something that anyone can learn in a week…i’m just tryin to get a better handle on things without sounding to stupid here

GregHess , i thoroughly respect your posts and replies thoughout these boards… you got a vast amount of info between your ears… and i’m better off now because of it, so for what its worth, thank you

Pw,

I took no offense whatsoever. I was just sharing a tidbit about how i got more into the techie side of things :).

Yep. We’re starting to see more official type ‘building and maintaining computers’ courses in colleges and universities, but no course can teach the kind of stuff you learn through a few years of doing. :wink:

Originally posted by eX-one
I never heard about this at all before, Greg. Do you have a link to the article or know the details of what happened? Looks like my suspicions about the crappy articles was right, and I’ll probably never visit the site again also.

Tom’s Hardwre had an article reently where they claimed to have a 3.06ghz. engineering sample of the P4 aong with a photo.

shortly after the story was posted, a couple of people noticed that some of the numbers on their picture of this “engineering sample” were codes from a 2ghz. P4. Many raised the question as to what was going on, one site confirmed with Intel that no such samples have been given to anyone.

A few days later, subtle changes were made to the article at Tom’s hardware, removing references to “having in his posession” about the 3.067 and said he had one with an open multiplier and he overclocked it to 3.06ghz. and that the results were indicitive of what an actual 3.06 wuld run at when released.

A week later, Tom’s disputed the charges of doctored photos and claimed he never said that he had one in his posession.

Tom’s denial was a complete lie though as I read the original article and saw the claims with my own eyes.

So for recommending reliable hardware sites for info, Tom’s hardware is the LAST site you want to recommend as their results are fraud, their articles are fraud and the sites owner is a fraud.

Just another pot shot at Tom’s Plagiarism Guide…

They had an article up here:

AMD Roadmap

In this instance, the roadmap listed at the bottom of the page seems to be a Tom’s Plagiarism Guide exclusive as no one has ever heard of it before.

The story stirred up a lot of angst in the AMD community.

An article that attacks Tom for falsifying graphics has a response here:

translated

The Inquirer also has links to Tom’s and alternate links to sites that have since begun to copy info from Tom’s in case their claims magically disappear.

Inquirer story

And finally a story on the Inquirer about the backlash of Tom’s suspect article, including some e-mails they received which question the accuracy of the technical specs in Tom’s article.

Inquirer: The Backlash

Bottom line, If you VALUE your reputation, don’t recommend Tom’s Plagiarism Guide. They are without a doubt the worst hardware site on the net.

Thanks for the links Max, I knew there was alot more :).

yes, thanks … wow all those links are eye openers … time to edit my original reply now lol

No problem.

Funny thing about this is that those links are just from the most recent shenanigans.

The 3.06 they supposedly had caused a major S%$t storm a few weeks ago.

Before that one was an article “AMD Releases new Speed Grade” the opening picture had a giant slug on top of a CPU, and he proceeded to say anyone who is an AMD supporter is a loser.

In all of the above cases, the articles were changed after Tom got caught red handed in a lie.

Then you have the AMD machines burning up article where he says the heatsinks are prone to just falling off and causing the system to get fried. Oddly out of hundreds of builds, I have NEVER seen a heatsink just “fall off”. This prompted people to be afraid to buy AMD based systems, because Tom had said something that was patently untrue.

Also, there was a big stink before that one where he took articles in his archives that were written by Van Smith and put HIS name on them, stealing someone elses work.