What would you like to have?

What do you think C4D lacks basically (main features)? Which feature would you like to see inbuilt? :shrug:

don’t know if this qualifies…but i would like a different nav system. i’m not hot on the 1,2,3 for moving around in the viewport…alt, ctrl, shift is a lot more intuitive (to me…) at least the option to change it…

along the same lines, a speedier interface…at home i’m cinema, at work i’m maya…speed is nice, really nice; even with the ogl additions, cinema is still a little sluggish…

keep in mind, i’m nitpicking b/c r8 rocks! :smiley:

These may be not basic feature, but I’d like to see them inbuilt.

Modeler:
-N-gon support
-spinsquad
-bandsaw

Render:
-faster GI
-GI bake

Xpresso:
-group node
-modelling tools node for procedure modelling and animation
-nodebased render tree
-everything noded
-customized layout(often used nodes can be add on toolbar as icons)

:bounce:

ok here comes my list: :bounce:

MODELING:

• ngons support
  • a freeform knife and an edge detecting knife
  • nurbs decent import
  • non-modal matrix extrude (the same as now but with interactive sliders)
  • a dissolve (melt) tool for points, edges, faces
  • a functioning edgeloop selector
  • different detail levels for Hypernurbs (hierarchical subds)

MATERIALS, RENDERING and XPRESSO:

• faster and more precise GI to prevent flickering in animations
  • micropoly displacement
  • nodebased render tree
  • possibility to make your own actionscripts to customize your own layout with Xpresso
  • refraction channel with a variable index of refraction and controls over distance for reflections and refractions; include-exclude objectlist for reflections and refractions
  • a decent volumetric material for glass
  • faster area shadows

INTERFACE:

• possibility to customize camera mode
  • mouse passage sensible viewports (now you have to click on each viewport to make it active)
  • possibility to see edges even if point-edge-face mode aren’t selected
  • construction history

BODYPAINT3D:

• blur, burn, dodge tools
  • projection paint to prevent poles

NEW DYNAMICS AND PYROCLUSTER

only 3 things -

1. render region to file
  2. faster stochastic mode rendering
  3. stable (non flickering) gi animation methods. i know there are methods of doing this but it involves whacking up the settings real high.

A hair plugin that comes with the program. Shave’s price is a little attrocious.

Originally posted by STRAT
[B]only 3 things -

1. render region to file
  2. faster stochastic mode rendering
  3. stable (non flickering) gi animation methods. i know there are methods of doing this but it involves whacking up the settings real high. [/B]
  1. why does everyone want this?
    2)yeah I definitely agree
    3)uhm thats what stochastic is for, but well see number 2 :wink:

Originally posted by Crime101
A hair plugin that comes with the program. Shave’s price is a little attrocious.

not really, thats the going rate :frowning: I mean its the same price for all different version, sasquatch is in the same range, except for sasquatch lite which is indeed built in. I wouldn’t put your hopes up for that.

I uess mine would be be Ngons, NPR, and .RIB support. oh and a shading tree system. With ngons, better and more unified implimentations of modeling tools. One cut, one extrude, one bevel, one bridge, and able to work on all three modes.

Kai - rendering region to file is actually essential on my wish list, because:

i do architectural rendering stills in work at a resolution at usually 2000x1500 pixels using a high GI settings. each render can take several hours to render.

When the design gets changed and tweeked, which it always does, it means i have to re-render the entire image again. this is frustrating to me when i may only want to re-render a small portion or just the actual changed bit and not the entire image again.

Max does this and i desparately miss it in C4D.

now i’ve taken to putting in a big blacked out masking face to only show the bits i want, but this is a pain in the ass.

well seems to me that small area won’t be the proper resolution anyways.I thought this is what having different rener settings and cameras was for?

nope.

if i render out an image at say 4000x3000 pixels, then later on a small part of the scene gets changed, say in the top left hand corner somewhere. how do i now get my original render up-dated?

re-render the entire image right?

no, you make a new render settings equivalent to the reolutino of pixels needed, and use a new camera, if you render view and save its now going to be highrez enough forthat corner, no way your screen view 4000x3000, heck the highest I have seen is 2048 for a screen res. Still not seeing how it would benefit.

no, you make a new render settings equivalent to the reolutino of pixels needed - i may not know this value, anyway it’s not a set value it’ll always be determined by eye as i do it.

and use a new camera, if you render view and save its now going to be highrez enough forthat corner - sorry, but this is a total pain in the ass way of working around the problem, to fiddly and time consuming. i need to use the same camera in EXACTLY the same possition with same perspectives and settings.

no way your screen view 4000x3000, - absolutely true. my screen res is set at 1600x1200. which is why i need a render region to file.

i appreciate ur work-arounds Kai, but a simple render region function (like already exists) but a render region function to render out to file at a higher resolution really would solve all problems. as i say, max been doing this since the D.O.S. versions of 3dstudio.

as i say, i have a pretty effective work-around myself with a masking face i use, but the region function is on my wish list. :slight_smile:

we both know there are alternative methods to most problems, but the question was what do i wish for. a simple 1 function command i want, not a pain in the butt workaround :slight_smile:

when do you think the next upgrade will come out that might include ngons ? …or an upgrade in general ? … is it possible that someone can write a good ngons plugin ??

Next update (8.1 i think) will be available in few weeks, but i’m pretty sure that it won’t contain ngons. I think they will be added in R9, it will pass another year or less, who knows? Ngons as a plugin? Naaah, impossible, it’s really difficult to put ngons into C4D since you’d have to rewrite both editor and renderer, we can only wait for Maxon programmers to add 'em.

Originally posted by STRAT
[B]i appreciate ur work-arounds Kai, but a simple render region function (like already exists) but a render region function to render out to file at a higher resolution really would solve all problems. as i say, max been doing this since the D.O.S. versions of 3dstudio.

we both know there are alternative methods to most problems, but the question was what do i wish for. a simple 1 function command i want, not a pain in the butt workaround :slight_smile: [/B]

I’m sorry I’m must still be missing something hee, so the renderview renders out an image at a higher resolution then the editor, okay I’m following, but how is that setting set? Seems like your still going in and making new settings, hwere is the time saved? This is a feature manypeople want, and I"m not saying maxon shouldn’t get it, but I still don’t get the purpose of it, I mean C4D oculd do this type of thing where I could slect and area and it owuld render it, then save that. The fact you can set it to render at a larger resolution, okay, but you still have to go into the settings and set that, so your not doing any less work, I’m just trying to undersand what the advantge is.

@STRAT: Stefan Stoske has coded a program called Booster 2 that might solve your problem. Don´t know if it´s still available or if it works with R8 though, but it´s worth a try:

www.stoske-bertling.de

or try to e-mail him at info@stoske-bertling.de

Kai - i think we’re both missunderstanding each other m8. can anybody else see what i mean?

best not keep arguing else we’ll fall out over nothing. i can see wat ur saying, but i’m having difficulty in describing myself.

if you’ve used max before go look at the render region to file function again to remind urself what it does then you’ll see exactly what i want. why has max got this option? :stuck_out_tongue:

basically what i want - to render region to the render picture viewer, completely at a resolution of my choosing, which is higher than my screen res, then save that rendered region to disk. i can then load up that rendered region in photoshop and paste it over my old render thus updating it.
this cant be done at present and the work-arounds are a pain in the butt.

[edit]
cheers pit, i’ll check it out
[edit]

pit - got a translation to that site? i no understand it.

babelfish isn’t doing anything to it :frowning:

Maybe i am missing something but why don’t you simply press “stamp” after you rendered the region? Then you go into Ps, press ctrl+n and paste the region, it’s simple but maybe i am missing something :stuck_out_tongue:

@ STRAT:
Here´s what it does:

“Booster2 can calculate exclusion masks and allow adaptiv rendering with cinema4d and other 3d-programs.”

If you´re not able to find it I think I´ve got it on a CD somewhere - so send me a PM and I´ll try to find it.

It´s freeware and open source so I think it´ll be okay if I send it to you.

Cheers