What State-Of-The-Art Realtime Rendering Features Do The Major Game Engines Have?

I was watching this promo video for the FREE open-source Godot engine. I really like the emission based lighting and voxelized reflections part:

//youtu.be/XptlVErsL-o

That got me thinking. What are the state-of-the-art rendering features engines like UE4, CryEngine and Unity have?

CryEngine seems to do big environments best, and UE4 seems to be the champion of indoor/archviz renders.

But what about the latest rendering features? What can they do?

It’s pretty easy to look up the features of each engine, what exactly are you looking for? https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/features

I think for me it’s less about features and more about which engine will provide a marketable skillset leading to employment in exchange for your time investment to learn it.

…wouldn’t logic dictate that the “engine which will provide a marketable skillset leading to employment in exchange for your time investment to learn it” would be the one with more and/or better features?? :slight_smile:

No. The industry is still built heavily on legacy systems and proven track records. Right now, (IMHO) UnReal is one of (if not the) top dog. It has an enormous amount of features but it can be a little clunky. If, tomorrow, an engine was released with better features, a faster workflow, and a better learning curve, UnReal would still be the engine to learn for the near future.

I’d say theres no reason to learn anything except for unreal or unity.
with unreal being the #1 engine worth learning.

As someone hinted at before, you want to be prepared for the job market.
and unity/unreal are the most widely used engines (not counting proprietary stuff that you can only use once hired anyways).

Unreal is slightly more advanced in terms of accessible features than unity.
But if you’re trying to prepare for a future career in games, I’d say definitely learn both.

Compared to normal 3d animation software like Maya/3dsmax game engines are pretty easy to learn in my opinion.

…Since we’re on the topic, are there any engines which will produce games ready for streaming? (I’m talking about things like GeForce now etc.) I don’t really understand this entire thing, does the engine even have to do anything, or, if it’s just being run on a computer which has a graphics card capable of streaming, will it do it automatically?

The way streaming generally works now is that the engine doesn’t really do anything. You’re just uploading your interactions and streaming the video of the gameplay generated on the other end. On the other hand, there have been various attempts at hybrid games in which most of what you see is computed on your end, but much of what is happening in the game is computed elsewhere. I suppose MMOs do this by default, as you are seeing characters rendered by your GPU but whose actions were determined by other players elsewhere. But I’m specifically thinking of something like Crackdown3 where if you took down a large building the physics were to be calculated in the cloud and streamed to your XBOX which would render it as if it were any other part of the game being computed locally.
Not exactly what I’d consider a “rendering feature” though.
(Also, despite the huge promises made about Crackdown3’s cloud component, it seems like it has been scaled back a bit, if not removed altogether. I think Microsoft wanted to tout cloud connectivity as an XBOX “feature” allowing for larger, more spectacular, in game events than the similarly powered Playstation4. Either they found this difficult to implement, or the increased demand on their cloud for other things made them re-think having potentially 100,000s of players offloading one title’s computations to it simultaneously.)

The Open Source Godot Engine can publish - with one click - to Windows, Max, Linux, iOS, Android, HTML5 and Web Assembly.

Can Unity and UE4 do that at this point?

If I make a game with Godot, I can publish the game to basically all known OSs and platforms at the same time, without making changes to the game.

If you want to work in a Game company, yeah, its probably Unity or Unreal.

But if you are making your own indy stuff, I wouldn’t discount Godot.

I’m interested in seeing how Armory3D turns out.
https://armory3d.org/

Looks great technically and is open source like Godot, but Blender needs a serious user-interface overhaul before I would consider developing a game in it.

For people who can live with the Blender UI, this is probably a very nice option.

For me, the thought of using Blender as my app for 3D asset creation gives me the shivers… 2 years spent making a game in the Blender UI… sorry, I couldn’t cope with that.

Ha ha… Yeah, I’m in total agreement. It’s always sent me running away as well. Originally a UI overhaul was to be a big part of the 2.8 release, then I heard that it was being pushed back yet again. In the meantime however they’ve shown new icons and widgets, and published a revised key map. Those are huge to me, as I hated that blender was always so keyboard reliant, even down to the tutorials that presume you already know a majority of which keys are being used throughout. So I suppose now the existing blender community has to relearn many of the key commands while also being presented with actual icons? To me, this could be the best time to finally get on board. The community will likely start creating new tutorials and updating the various guides etc., and it will be easier to just focus on post 2.8 guides and help videos. I plan to try to learn blender while the long time users are also re-learning so many aspects of it. Everyone will be asking questions and pointing out new things.
I’m not certain who is working on the Armory engine, but I recently read that the original blender game engine developer was to began work on its replacement. I know one thing they want to do is have blender become more immersive, and having a game engine plus Eevee would make blender a competitor to programs like Source Filmmaker and iClone.

Blender users are impossible to talk to about UI shortcomings in Blender.

I’ve tried going on Blender forums suggesting UI improvements multiple times over the years. Each time I was shredded to pieces by angry Blenderheads.

All I can say is - fuck Blender users and their cult-like obsession with a really awful UI design that I would give a D or E grade in a professional review.

Blenderheads must be the dumbest, least educated CG software users on the planet…