What should we do now?

I think it’s an interesting idea, one worth pursuing. There was a discussion over in the general forum on something along the same lines: http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=161898&page=1&pp=20. Depending on what they come up with maybe what we do here could be applied to this as well. How would break up the challenges to do this? Concept, Modeling, Lighting, Animating?

Ah well, i’ve tried most of not all of the mini-challenges and found them very very productive, even when it got to only Obnomauk and myself completing the last one.

I’m afraid I won’t be up for too much over the coming year but I wish everyone well in getting something started. It’s too easy sitting and lurking, posting your work for critique is hard but very worth while and for those wishing to make the most of this software I’d highly recommend it as you learn so much from feedback - even those who give outrageous feedback just so it seems they know what they’re talking about.

I’ve been in private communication with ModernHorse and sent him various models to try out and that’s been a great experience. itsjustme has recently also had a look at one of my models to improve what I was trying to do with toon eyes and though I haven’t had a chance to have a look - that also has been useful.

What to do? Do something rather than do nothing, I like the team idea and maybe this should go into the contests - teams of people working on a mini-project with something like a 2 month deadline where a 10 - 20 second piece of animation is the end result. I did some paid work at a college recently and there was this “joint collabaration” project with people from various CG disciplines producing projects. It was amazingly well done for 2nd yr students. It worked also because people couldn’t slope off and not put the work in or they lost their degree. We don’t have any form of penalty when people dissappear on public forums.

My suggestion would have been something like “Master-classes” where people who had that bit extra knowledge would run some form of master-class and people would have to join and post some form of WIP thread. For example - Someone doing Advanced Lighting, Texture Mapping or Dynamics etc etc. That would draw the new users and lurkers in and get them posting.

My suggestion would have been something like “Master-classes” where people who had that bit extra knowledge would run some form of master-class

Now that is a great idea ! And perhaps promising students would then wish to jump on some of the collab projects. Good one Hooch !

thanks Horse-Dude, I read about something similar on Spiraloid and they only
really do the Digital Sculpting but it seems to work. (Reminds me to renew my membership)

here’s the masterclasses forum -
http://cube.phlatt.net/forums/spiraloid/viewboard.php?BoardID=4

I definitely like the master class idea. Perhaps it’d be better to open sub forums for each subforum here for each project instead of running them on a deadline or monthly basis. Being a beginner, I would personally find it less intimidating if I were to stumble onto a topic late.

Then again that would just make it a WIP/critique thread like most of the other threads here. Perhaps a timed topic with a possible outline/timeline would be neat, and participants would show their work each step of the way and newbies like myself would get a better idea as to how long a particular part of a project should take, and see how other people approached the same situation.

…yay, my two cents.

Always nice to see a new face, I sorta hoped that newbies would actually join the masterclasses too? Like if Yves was going to do a Lighting Masterclass or Obnomauk was to do a relationships masterclass, or Pequod doing an Animation Masterclass - the “Master” could set out a sample project or similar model for everyone to begin from and then he or she would give feedback on only those who joined.

Heck, I’m sure all of us at one point or another would appreciate some help in some are of AM use. If there’s anyone out there was a “Master” equally at modelling/rigging/lighting/relationships/fur etc etc then they don’t need to participate… :bounce:

cool…

just noticed the smilies actually work on my PC, for some reason I’ve only ever seen them animate when I log in on a Mac.?

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.