What new R21 feature do you most look forward to using?

For me the the best new feature is the highres screen support for Windows .
And the UV transform tool. Finally.

“high res screen support for win”
That’s hardly a feature though. that’s like selling a word processor and selling ‘readable’ text as a feature. it goes without saying that this should have worked hassle free, long time. Just because Adobe sucks at the basics, doesn’t mean that Maxon should get away with it without some finger wagging. This “feature” should not even get a mention. it should be silently shuffled in and we pretend it always worked. Move along,nothing to see here.

i know. still a relief.

I will probably just keep using the same old features I am already well versed in and inadvertently stumble upon the new ones throughout the year, wishing I had paid better attention. :slight_smile:

Having denoising built ito c4d is a welcmoe one though. Some of us here use the ones available in redshift (and I know Arnold has a few built in as well that I havent touched), but I have used neat video for some time. Will be interesting to see how they compare.

TBH I really like what I’ve read about the new licensing management features which will be useful for us–keeping track of which artist has what license. Its been very confusiing up to this point. One of those little organizational things you take for granted until you need it. Also being able to download on demand from your acccount on a portal site like most modern software apps will be a much better system–as opposed to locating your d-load emails.

the main interesting feature for me is buried in the complete feature list under Exchange:

• New, Improved support for Solidworks, STEP, Catia, IGES, JT formats.

Direct STEP importing was the killer feature for me for R20. If (as it sounds) they are adding Solidworks importing, this is really big for me, as i can often save clients the time to create STEP files.

With the landmark release of R21 there are so many new features to choose from I wouldn’t know where to start.

I can’t wait to try the new viewport which can handle many thousands of animated clones, or there’s the new multi-threaded XPresso and thinking particles replacement along with the procedural modelling tools or the new integrated dynamics system. I almost forgot about the new scene caching where once cached huge scenes will playback in RT. I can’t wait for that!

Oh no, my mistake my real favourite new feature of R21 has to be the new Enhanced Splash Screen! Yeah someone at Maxon thought the R21 update was a bit thin on the ground and could do with a bit of filler. Only that isn’t the only filler the new features list has so much filler it could be a TV news anchor’s face!

Solidworks was part of R20 as well, though we’ve improved support specifically with regards to the import of assembly files.

Glad the CAD import stuff is coming in handy!

Ha, Rick, that’s right, I forgot. R20 does import SLDPRT files, just does not seem to work with the assembly files.

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned the option to disable the “Do you want to copy this texture to the project folder” dialog. That’s bound to save a hundred clicks a day.

Yay! Only just found out this has been ‘fixed’. That’s good.

Rick - has there been any improvement in the handling of duplicate Redshift materials?
Rs materials were duplicated when merging other scenes with the same materials. The ‘Remove duplicate materials’ menu option doesn’t currently work with rs materials either.

I don’t know to be honest. I’ve only had about 15 minutes in the Redshift booth at Siggraph to play with the R21 implementation. It was really cool to see all the RS nodes in C4D’s Node Editor! Your best bet at this point for an answer and to get it addressed would be to bring it up in the Redshift forums.

I don’t know if this can be attributed to Maxon but we’re most excited about being able to open Cinema files directly in Unity again. Interesting to see how animation information is handled. Better Mixamo support will be very welcomed as well. Like was mentioned above, STEP conversion was the killer feature for us in R20. They did a fantastic job with that.

Finally got my PC rig rolling. 30 years with Apple is a hard change but loving the GPU speed boosts.

it would be much more exciting if they packed up the Redshift as well guys

For me, its such a shame that Redshift is rental-only. I would happily have paid for a version with annual upgrades, but instead of some money, Maxon now gets none at all. Ho hum. Good job Octane is coming for Metal.

Doesn’t Redshift still offer a perpetual license with all add-ons (C4D, Maya, Houdini, etc.) and a year of maintenance for $500, and $250 annually after that for maintenance renewal? I think the rental is only when it is part of the Cinema 4D subscription bundle.

FWIW, Redshift is not rental only.
You can purchase it directly from Redshift3D.com. $500 for a node locked perpetual license with plugins to work on Maya, 3ds Max, Softimage, C4D, Houdini and Katana all included.

Redshift is not rental only. Rental (subscription) is just a new option that Maxon is offering for new users who don’t want to pay the $500 fee up front. You can still purchase Redshift directly from the Redshift team and get it for $500 first year then $250 for annual maintenance. With that, you get all the plugins for all available DCCs it is developed for.

Ah, well that’s good then. I may consider it in the future when it goes Metal and I have some decent GPUs to run it on.

I think one feature that will really prove to be useful is the Intel denoiser.

Look at this gallery of examples:
https://openimagedenoise.github.io/gallery.html

Field Forces looks like the one I’m looking forward to trying

I’m also looking forward to a snappier timeline, I’ve been complaining for ages about the laggy timeline. Hopefully that will also translate into the node editor, though I don’t remember the Xpresso window being mentioned. I’m pleased to see Maxon making improvements to the core and UI. All in all it looks like there will be a handful of new features that I’m looking forward to checking out.