What is your preferable app of choice for 3D environmental modelling with C4D as part of the pipeline?

I think for a long time VUE was the best choice because it can integrate as a plugin with C4D and its’ capabilities with Vegetation and Sky are superb. Plus it’s quite cheep if you compare it to C4D.
Now other apps have come forward like Teragen and Worldbuilder and I would like to know if the trend has changed.

I use:
Terrains: World Machine
Vegetation: Forester

Worldbuilder probably better than WM.

Creator of Forester was building terrain app, but it’s been delayed a lot. Don’t know if it will ever ship.
https://vimeo.com/3dquakers

I’ve been looking at world creator 2 (and soon 3). It seems very good and realtime for large landscapes. You should check it out.

For vegetation, you can find nice plant libraries and have good scattering/instancing options now in most render engines, you have forrester as a plugin too in C4D and then you have Clarisse which can go nuts with instanced polygons in the viewport if need be.

With scan libraries like quixel and others (RDT, Substance source…) you can get photoreal details right in your 3D app.

I do miss the nice atmospheres and easy oceans of Vue, but you have decent physical skies and fog in most 3D apps, and you can easily find Vdb clouds and good skymaps nowadays.

Terragen clouds look pretty good too, but I’m not so pumped on their interface.

So all in all, I don’t think there’s much unique value in Vue anymore (I still have a vue 7 licence on a hard drive somwhere).

dem earth is not too shabby, at version 4.022 now, for 21/22

for the next update, I have added a new background downloader for all height data. That means you don’t have to wait for stuff to download anymore. There is also a crazy new scattering tool on the way, which provides accurate tree location mapping, for the entire planet, in realtime, built right into the tool.
in the image below, ALL trees where automatically placed (just cubes in this case) and the result rendered in just a few seconds (5 seconds), using cinema4d’s standard renderer, on very moderate hardware. You can do this for the entire planet. The scattering is not geometry based, and it can extend beyond the dem earth visible surface, into infinity. It uses geographic referencing, so the clustering is always consistent and planet wide homogen. It pans/zooms/scales, and updates, in realtime, with the dem earth surface, even on basic hardware. You don’t need a super computer to use this, just a good internet connection:)

and yes, it works with redshift & co.

Here’s a new one called NDunes. It’s in Beta but already useable as a real-time and large scale world generator: https://www.ndunes.com/