What is the "Fanboy" mentality? And is it bad for filmmaking and CG in general?

In another thread I saw someone complain that there has been a recent flood of fanboys.

So based on this comment thought this would be a good topic to discuss.

What is a fanboy?
And why is their influence considered by some to be a negative one?

And for those who have doubts of what a fan boy sounds like, I present to you Harry Knowles and one of his most recent rants about Star Wars >>link<<

Looking forward to your comments,

-R

Excellent thread! I love it!

w0000t!!!1111oneoneoneone

(…etc.)

sorry…

Its simple fanboys/fangirls are people who have taken being a fan of something to far, usually they are asosciated to have a low iq and the creative ability of a hamster.

There are different types of fanboys I think…

A console fanboy is often those who only own one system and must convince everybody that he made the right choice in buying that particular console. (This could also apply to cars, computers etc)

Another fanboy, the ones we are used to, often expresses himself exagurated and sees other persons/artists like gods because they can create good art.

It’s very unprofessional to only make comments like “You rock” or “Awesome”. In a way, fanboys are making more harm than good. Because they’re praising the artist, the artist thinks that he can do better than he really can.
Fanboys never or rarely give any constructive critiques, and therefore making a disservice.

:shrug:

A “fan boy” is someone who lives vicariously through the achievements of another, or someone who endulges in a world of fantasy portrayed by an entertainment medium.

The most notorious fanboys of all are sports fans. Other types are rockstar groupies, science fiction, video game, anime, and comic book nuts, and devoted fans of tv and movie actors.

There are two types of “fanboys” that I have observed:

The first and most common type is the “pop fanboy”. This is the person who gravitates toward whatever is most popular, and idolizes it. Often as pop culture changes they too will change, moving from one icon to another. Whoever is on top at the time, that is who they worship. This fanboy thrives on a mob mentality, a feeling of community with his fellow fanboys who share a common interest.

The second type of “fanboy” is what I refer to as the “eccentric fanboy”. This is a person who will pick someone or something out of obscurity to align themselves with. Often they will choose the least popular or least talented act to idolize. This fanboy thrives on the concept that they know something or see something in their idol that other people are missing.

Fanboy influence may be considered a negative one because they are both passionate and indiscriminate, a volatile combination. There is no room for logic in the mind of the fanboy. A fanboys appreciation is defined through either the status quo; in the case of the pop fanboy, or his own narrow and unchallengable perception; in the case of the eccentric fanboy.

Fanboy-ism I believe originated as a combination of average peoples desire, and innability to be a part of something great. Most people are average, that is why the term average was coined. Abraham Lincoln said “God must love the common man, because he sure made a lot of them”. But most average people are not content with their commonness, nor are they motivated enough to pursue true greatness. As an alternative they attach themselves to other peoples greatness, or to a certain entertainment medium, and attempt to absorb some of the positive energy that is generated by that entity.

Well said erik, you rock!!!:buttrock:

This thread brought up memories of my friends sister who use to watch a show on mtv, where the fan meets his idol in a manked up way. Those type of fanboys scare me.:argh:

Nice Post Erik.

Well Said

No not a fanboy comment. .

Originally posted by Erik Asorson
[B]A “fan boy” is someone who lives vicariously through the achievements of another, or someone who endulges in a world of fantasy portrayed by an entertainment medium.

The most notorious fanboys of all are sports fans. Other types are rockstar groupies, science fiction, video game, anime, and comic book nuts, and devoted fans of tv and movie actors.

There are two types of “fanboys” that I have observed:

The first and most common type is the “pop fanboy”. This is the person who gravitates toward whatever is most popular, and idolizes it. Often as pop culture changes they too will change, moving from one icon to another. Whoever is on top at the time, that is who they worship. This fanboy thrives on a mob mentality, a feeling of community with his fellow fanboys who share a common interest.

The second type of “fanboy” is what I refer to as the “eccentric fanboy”. This is a person who will pick someone or something out of obscurity to align themselves with. Often they will choose the least popular or least talented act to idolize. This fanboy thrives on the concept that they know something or see something in their idol that other people are missing.

Fanboy influence may be considered a negative one because they are both passionate and indiscriminate, a volatile combination. There is no room for logic in the mind of the fanboy. A fanboys appreciation is defined through either the status quo; in the case of the pop fanboy, or his own narrow and unchallengable perception; in the case of the eccentric fanboy.

Fanboy-ism I believe originated as a combination of average peoples desire, and innability to be a part of something great. Most people are average, that is why the term average was coined. Abraham Lincoln said “God must love the common man, because he sure made a lot of them”. But most average people are not content with their commonness, nor are they motivated enough to pursue true greatness. As an alternative they attach themselves to other peoples greatness, or to a certain entertainment medium, and attempt to absorb some of the positive energy that is generated by that entity. [/B]

… or more simply, you can just say that here on CG Talk, fanboys are the people that simply post one or two word comments on Gallery threads with loads of headbanging and drooling smileys, and generally offer absolutely nothing of value to any threads.

They blindly worship. I don’t have a problem with praising people’s work at all (when it’s something really amazing, or praising a persons great effort to improve their skill), but I do feel that it’s more meaningful to tell a person why you like something, what it is in an image that particularly moves them.

I’d personally like to see less fanboyish and more constructive comments on the Gallery. Sure there are times when your jaw hits the floor and you absolutely love something, and everything about it, but the rest of the time I think that people should go to more effort when responding to more threads, especially when a person has specifically asked for suggestions and critiques.

I think a lot of people have an opinion on the ‘fan boys’ of cgtalk, in fact - almost 1000

This thread rocks! :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

your so awesome:buttrock: :wink:

you guys ROCK!!! :slight_smile:

Basically the fanboys just cause mindless forum polution instead of being constructive or thoughtful, something which might actually help the artist.

These people also tend to have signed up in the past 2 to 3 months, and already have 1,000 single-line posts. :rolleyes: Bottom line, it clogs up the forums, it’s unprofessional, and most of all, it’s not helpful.

A “fanboy” is someone who expresses a liking for other peoples’ work, but not yours.

Originally posted by Crapstick
A “fanboy” is someone who expresses a liking for other peoples’ work, but not yours.

LOL! That’s what I think too. I want some fanboys!

Seriously, I’ve never been offended when someone says they like what I’ve done, even if it’s only one word, any feedback is better than none.

I think the gallery should not allow users to post with less than a certian character, and a char to smily ratio.

Fanboy = Somebody who doesn’t agree with you when you go off on a rant about something you don’t like. :thumbsup:

I think it goes without saying that CGTalk could blossom as a fully professional environment if the fanboy posts were abolished. I’ve spoken to a few seasoned professionals who will not become involved in the community because it is inconvenient to wade through all the manure.

Seems to me that CG Talk is pre-dominantly CG fanboys/girls. This thread is a good example:

SB

Originally posted by RobertoOrtiz
[B]In another thread I saw someone complain that there has been a recent flood of fanboys.

So based on this comment thought this would be a good topic to discuss.

What is a fanboy?
And why is their influence considered by some to be a negative one?

And for those who have doubts of what a fan boy sounds like, I present to you Harry Knowles and one of his most recent rants about Star Wars >>link<<

Looking forward to your comments,

-R [/B]

Ever since that beached whale turned AICN into one big flame fest by posting a letter by a Senator about war in Iraq, I have not returned to that site.

However, I just read the link; and darn if I can’t find myself agreeing with his rant.

Star Wars was made in '77, and it was ground breaking- an important milestone in cinema.

The Special Edition, with all its CG enhancement, didn’t come along until 20 years later. THAT wasn’t the film that made history in '77. THAT wasn’t the film that used a 3 ft. plastic model and made it look 3 miles long. THAT wasn’t the film that re-engineered the blue screen traveling matte process. THAT wasn’t the film that showed spaceships in mindblowing combat in a magnitude never before seen.

The Special Edition didn’t set the stage for the evolution of visual effects that would lead us all to CGI. The Special Edition may have been the film that Uncle George wanted to make, but it wasn’t.

This isn’t about rabid mindless fanboy mentality; it looks more to me like a blind fanboy allegiance to the ivory towers of all things CG (well gee- what would one expect in a forum called CG TAlk ).

And no, I’m no SW fanboy- any more. Episodes 1 and 2 broke me of that. Nor am I a CG hater either. I simply believe in the right tools for the right job. Models, CG, paintings, VFX is supposed to enhance a film; actors, actresses and plots don’t exist to enhance CG.

SB