Hi! I am planning to apply to a university/college in Canada next year, and currently interested in becoming a 3d modeller or a 3d animator. I asked my friends and read some threads about this topic, but a lot of people said that it’s not a good career. So I would really appreciate to know the opinions of you guys who had experience in this career.
- How about your working hours? Some people said that it is normal for this career to have 12-16 working hours. I understand that sometimes when the deadline is coming close, we have to work extra hours to complete the project, but it can’t be frequent, right? Do you still have time to hang around with friends and time for your family?
- What’s your salary? Is it possible to earn 40 000$ a year? According to Payscale, 3d modeler can earn from 45 000$ to 72 000$, but some people said it’s unrealistic. If we are good enough, can we get higher salary?
- People said that it’s hard to get long term contract. Is it true?
- How about the job market in Canada (or in other countries)? Is it really competitive to get a job? People said that even a modeler with amazing portfolio could have hard time getting a job. But I think there should be high demand considering the wide application of 3d (furniture, game, advertisement, film, 3d printing…)?
- I read that it’s hard for international student to be hired due to the tax (or something like that). So has any international student here gotten a job in this field after grad in Canada? How do you get your first job? If possible, can I see your reel?
And finally, do you feel happy with this career? Do you think this is a good job? Do you regret choosing it and why?
Thank you so much