Week 3: WIP/Homework Submissions

Hi everyone,

I am so late, but here it is. I was trying to add more elements to the composition this time. The principal idea is a Prision of Gods, so it has to be a massive place with powerfull elements to contain powerfull prisioners. I putted some obelisks around the volcano, conected with electrical energy to the head of the entrance. The volcano is floating inside a massive hole, and it get closer to the border when is necesary. I am still want to incorporate more elements. I apreciate the critics.
You are doing awesome guys!

NOEL BREIJO - WEEK 3

Thank you! I hope I can accomplish the same thing with color!

Thanks for the encouragement! Your idea seems good. I’ll definitely give colouring a try. Although I believe it still won’t come out as I expected, it may actually help a lot.

Btw my work came out very cartoonish because I decided to experiment with my techniques on par with the new software. Experimenting is quite useful on itself, even with botched results, it is still woth the experience. It may be a bit wierd, but I usually draw on a very dark background with 6 layers (one for each purpose like cravices, accents, highlights etc) which I never merge. I do most of the colouring on the lowest layer right in the process (Week 1 assignment was made like that). Although it is mostly useful for sketching, it gives the final picture an entirely different aesthetic.

How about you guys? Does anyone have some wierd techniques or methods of organizing your drawing process? After all, we have this rare opportunity to share different approaches and try/compare different techniques of each other.

Does anyone know where will be posted the webinar from week 3? Thanks

Hi there. Here https://forums.cgsociety.org/t/lecture-3-value-lighting-and-rendering-video/2047461 but they seem to have some tehnical dificulties uploading it so i guess we should be patient :smiley: Have a good one :kiss:

Thanks you for your help :slight_smile: you 2 :brain:

Alexander Kämpe, Week 3

Really had a hard time to find my creative motivation last week, so I finished today instead. Some parts feel a bit stressed (the vines on the ruins for example, thankfully made on a separate layer). Changed perspective on the stairs based on David’s feedback which made the overall impression more accurate. Not sure about the steps to the “gateway” though, might just remove it.

Hmm, interesting… Gone Home seem to me closer to what I am thinking of. :slight_smile: Thank you.

You’re welcome! And… I need to learn techniques too! My process is super disorganized… I usually got too many layers due to lack of skill :frowning:

Yeah I am still getting the hang of this digital stuff. I did watch a few tutorials recently from some artists that actually recommend practicing using just 1 layer and using exclusively just the brush (don’t erase). If you want to clear a bit up, paint the color of the canvas over it instead. I’m probably going to try this technique more when I get some free time. My line-art has looked like crap this whole time and I’ve not been satisfied with how it was looking so I’m going to be starting all over and probably going to try to keep it all one layer. I think if I do use another layer I’ll end up merging it down as soon as I can. I’m definitely going to be taking a few extra weeks to work on this.

I do really like how David only really used the other layer for the glow-bit so he can be quick and then mask out what he needed to.

Whep, after repairing Painter 2019 twice, then re-installing it (after uninstalling it first), here’s my homework for week 3.

Hi everyone,
Trying to catch up!

Here is my week 03 Submission based on one of my thumbnails from week 2.

Just a recap. The concept is about an industrialised ant colony.

I tried to work on the story / composition and value.
Still looks a bit rough in terms of line quality but I am trying to get it better
Surely having a lot of fun though

Best!

Robespierre Araujo Week 3

Hi Guys, I’m very late, working hard to catch up. Here’s the final piece for the 3 week assignment. Tomorrow I will finish up the color phase.
Cheers!

Ilya Kriel week 3 re-do

Here is my week 3 homework, I am using Corel PaintShop Pro so I don’t have the nice glow brush but I am doing my best with the tools in there and using a mouse to draw… I am loving the instruction and all the drawings, everyone in here is super talented! I’m going for a very thrown together feel for this fort, like it was built in a big hurry so everything is mismatched and lots of jagged raw edges. Any suggestions welcome! :smile:

Thank you very much! I hope you’ll like the colors I end up with in the final :slight_smile:

Thank you very much!

Daniel Robson - Cyberpunk - Week 3

I ended up using colors to help me work.

however I used a feature to check the values

Hi!

Here’s my submission to Week 3!