Week 2: WIP/Homework Submissions

Agreed. I might also use some ideas from #1, #5 and #7 to come up with some more comps that could help me convey the desired look and feel of my environment. Thanks!

Yeah, I agree! These comps have a certain rhythm and flow that I was looking for in my story. The “tired traveller” idea also bodes well with them. I might do more comps just to experiment further with these elements. Thanks for the feedback :smile:

Week2 Richard Greenaway
great job everyone, some real effort goin into these… keep pushing your boundaries, I wish I could give a little feedback but just to busy atm hopefully in the next few days

still going with my God/Godess statue temple theme

tried a different approach mor sketchy
)

Keith Stanley | Week 2 Compositions
Still getting used to doing linework in corel painter and i dont really color in greyscale but i like the process of it and trying to learn new things. I chose the composition for the final concept to give a sense of scale and depth, and how the trees are above the clouds. The tree house i tried to make it look like the rooms were stacked or built ontop of each other and tried to give it a haunted mansion kind of look.
Any feedback i would appreciate, Thanks!

For some reason, I get good ideas when I’m not actively doing art. In order to make the composition a bit better, I made the scenery a trench, rather than a empty ocean floor. I also wanted to add some sea life to sell the idea of an underwater scene a bit more.

@Dvici
Thanks for the input! I really appreciate how much time and effort you put in to provide feedback! I honestly don’t see you get thanked enough. Although, as for photo-bashing, I feel as though whenever I use a 3D model or compile a scene using references, the final product actually ends up worse than if I hadn’t. Maybe I’m just bad at it, but I feel that the scene becomes too stiff and lacks a lot of dynamism that I would’ve had if I did a loose sketch.

@stotka
Thanks, this helped me out immensely! Even though I’ve seen and even been on aircraft carriers, it’s really hard to wrap my head around how big they actually are. I really dig the slums look and I like the idea of there being some cranes for construction and transporting resources. Although, with these new concepts, I want the slums or more residential area to be aboard the ship, while there be a camp or working area at the base.

Looks great! Nice concept, looking forward to the finished version!

Pawel Hordyniak / Week 2

So here my thumbnail compositions, and one I chose to do full painting of. I appreciate your feedback :wink:

I kinda like to start with values those times :wink:

Why are you taking this course? :sweat_smile: I couldn’t do this in a million years, spot on.

@tonberry #9 and #6 was really great

Agreed , thank you for the feedback.

Thanks :D. Well actually I take any environment design course I can with the intent to focus on design part. This is because 99% of time i am hired as an illustrator and I would love to do concept art work. I’m trying, not only to up my design and concept skills, but also find a way to communicate my designs quicker, because no art director is going to accept week long time for one picture.

Fantastic improvement by the way!!

I think the direction your going in is fantastic. For fun you should place a few bubbles in there near the front ;).

You are most correct that 3d really us helpful it solves alot of perspective and initial constructive lines issues.

The one thing you get from photbadhing is a combobulation of textures and details. Somethung that is harder to achieve in raw 3d.

I’m glad my advice us helping… i truly can’t wait to see where you take this.

Happy creating!

Svetlana Bulycheva, week 2.
Hello, everyone :slight_smile:
so here are my sketches and line. C&C are welcome.

These are looking really nice. I really like the value control you have.
Considering your point of interest, it may work really well to try 1-2 vertical compositions as well, for those tall buildings :slight_smile:

Also which brush are you using?

Guys, anyone have any brush recommendations? I’ve had a hard time finding a nice brush to sketch with, which kind of made it hard to concentrate.

I personally like the real 2B pencil in the pens and pencils section for sketching. For basic blocking in values I use the flat color 2 brush in the simple section. The sargent brushes are quite interesting as well. I think you may be able to find some custom brushes online as well. Hope that helps :smile:

Great work… I love seeing it ! As it is an inspiration to set a goal towards…

Keep up the good work…:wink:

Here are my thumbnail designs for this week. Redid some of the story elements from week 1.

weatherly tan, Week 2

I think this might be the final version, or at the very least, I’m not sure what I can change or add at this stage. I feel like a lot of the detailing work I wanna do has to do with colors (moss, rust, paint textures).
I’m sure when I look at it later, I’m gonna find a whole bunch a stuff I wanna add/change.

This looks great! The huge shark in the foreground and tiny buildings in the back really emphasizes the scale and makes it interesting. I want to know more about this place and what’s going on down there!