watchtowers

ya i know. but wanted to know if the fort mountain is better or not.

Forget about the texture, concentrate on the modeling first. ‘The humps’ on the mountain are unnatural. Mountain Rocks need to be hard & sharp.

I believe you can find some good tutorial on rock like structure in Zbrush.

Here’s some for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNgS1G7uf90

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tz7na7Y75o&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Auk3mKdKEwg&feature=related

thanks but now i m working with zbrush for the first time so will get used to in time. BTW thanks for the tutorials.

made mountains and every landscape in z brush

a more bigger update with ships, people, flags and colder atmosphere

Cool man, Things are really shaping up.

I think the blocks on the towers could be smaller, and the people could be larger.

The waves on the water seem to large and flat. Maybe you could increase the frequency on the waves.

I’m not keen on the keep design. It doesn’t really match the gate. It could look better with large towers on the corner.

The composition could use some work. It might look slightly better more pushed in with a wider angle shot. Try placing the camera closer to the water and aim it up.

-AJ

thanks for the reply. will try to do what you said. but do the mountains look alright?

The mountains can be more blunt/sharpen still, but is a vast improvement.

I personally think the 2 towers & the wall between are holding the overall quality of the image.

If you ask me, I will advice you to scrape them & start new.

well i re rendered the scene with a wider shot and larger fort.

and PKD do you mean to rebuild the front so that the fort should emphasis?

It might be a good idea to make some sketches to get the final composition worked out.

Things are being moved around, but I don’t think the image is really improving much.

Try making a rough sketch of your vision for this project. Even if its just boxes and lines, it would be easier to dial in the composition and content that way. :p.

-AJ

Think about the style of the architectural, Gothic, medieval, etc. Think about the functions; e.g, what is the purpose of this tower, for defence, or an observation post. Use the function to shape the design. When form fit function, normally, you get better results.

How do people get from the bottom to the top building, once you get the details thought out, the design will be more natural.

Like I mnetion before, & AJ1 have said, stop moving things around, & stretch out the design.

I think the Roman (or Greek) pediment isn’t quite appropriate to the medieval architecture, as it was quite against it ideologically. Basically, medieval fortress is a functional, heavy stuff against assaults. A roman pediment of that triangular shape is more about showing the luxury and now is associated with knowledge, humanity and other eternal values. So you can see them at many representative buildings, which associate themselves with the ancient culture of Greece and Rome.
I like the variant with ships. I think you could make the frontal wall not straight, but of those possible shapes:

@mister3d: oh ok. now that you mention it does give a feel of roman etc things you mentioned, i think i could change them

@PKD and AJ1: thanks for the idea. i will try to make it with what you said.

thanks all

redid the front wall and stairs and created mountains in zbrush

please i need to know

another update with new back mountains, new fort mountain and different angle.

The composition is now quite good.

Now you need to concentrate on modeling in my view. There is inconsistent in design between the 2 structures. Have a theme & stick with it.

I expect to have less snow at where the water touches land. Give some rocks formation.

thnx, but modeling of what? and what inconsistency of the front entrance? not matching the fortress?

and about the water/land, should i make more like a frozen beach or add big rocks? reference would help because i couldn’t find any. thnx

The 2 building looks like they are from different architectural style.

Not meaning to be negative, but I feel you have not reach a level in architectural design to design your own style, & I feel it is better to pick up of an existing style, say Gothic, even wholesale replication of existing buildings, then create from imagination.

Once you get better, then you can developed your own style. That’s my view.