Want to pop-up the specific particles with texture map

Hi,
I am new to 3ds max pflow. Recently, I was trying to recreate the following effect with pflow without using thinking particle but with no luck.
https://vimeo.com/29224154

Situation:
I have a wall with hundreds of bricks, So I add them into an birth group and have some spin on that wall. But now I want it to pop up using a black and white map. These are my set-up, Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

Hi,

You are on the right track and it is basically the same thing as this: (there is a sample scene linked in the description)
https://vimeo.com/112837652

Just by looking at the screencap of the flow, it appears to be correct. That Stop op may be causing some issues, disable or replace with a Stop Gradually and retry. Grab the sample file in the link above an crosscheck the scene.

Hi,
Thank you for the reply, now I can move the particles with the black and white texture map, but they can only move them in one direction.

What I want is to move the particles forward/backward according to the value of color.

Use a Pipe and use 128 Grey as center then two conditions in the Pipe.

<128 (to black) = negative value & >128 (to white) = positive value

:wink:

Currently I am using the settings below, but it doesn’t give me the in between value, It can only go -128 or 0 :curious:

Hmm close, this is the way I would do it. Convert your normalized X (U of UVW, XYZ are all the same just use X(U) for posterity) greyscale value to 0-255 value then read switch with pipe.

see attached example.

That means if I want more in between position as to get a wave form, I need to add more conditions in the pipe?

no you don’t. All you need to do is subtract your color by 0.5

grey 128 = 0.5

so if you subtract the color by .5

grey = 0
white = .5
black = - .5

Also you might want to think of recording the original position and offsetting the position from there unless all your particles rest at 0.

Sorry to hijack thread. :twisted:
http://tinypic.com/r/24ymhpd/8

Haha, really inspiring. Now I know why it goes wrong.
Thank you all of you :smiley: :cool:

You know you are welcome to hijack at anytime …jerk :p:D…joking

That’s a much more elegant solution! Saved…preset :slight_smile: Crappy bad/old habit, I always find myself converting interface values, Sometimes my brain has a hard time collating values of different types if I don’t have the interface value to check against to see if they are correct.

haha Johnny! I figured you had a brain fart! :stuck_out_tongue: I do the same thing all the time :banghead:

LOL too kind more like an aneurism :smiley: I messed aound for a minute and plugged in the point normal that works pretty cool, just using the length instead of an axis so you aren’t limited to a 2d movement. I like your naming convention, smart for saving existing channel_ :slight_smile:

Dude why doesnt the Switch sub have Add Outputs?

Good call using point normal and length, definitely better for a preset! Thanks johnny! Happy new year to all. :bounce: