voronoi facade

hey guys,

i desperately need to build a voronoi facade on a surface built out of lofted splines.

i have attached a picture that shows the kind of result i am talking about, except my surface is curbed.

what would be the best approach to build something similar in C4D? i assume that Xpresso would be the best way to do it but i’m not familiar with it at all… :frowning:

also scripting would seem another good way to get something like this but i know even less about scripting than i know about Xpresso… :((

help? :blush: anyone?

I can picture a few different approaches to that, they are…

• Draw the pattern in Illustrator, import into C4D, extrude to thickness and bend the resulting mesh into shape, boolean away parts you don’t need.
  • Add boxes and build up the pattern with these boxes manually then boolean them together and bend it into shape and boolean off any parts that should not be there.
  • If you have access to Rhino3D then you could procedurally generate such a pattern and shape in Grasshopper, a powerful plugin which is free.

/ Magnus

Use 1 of the 3 voronoi noise maps in C4D and make a displacement material ?

thank you magnus for your quick response. actually i am trying to get the real thing out of c4d not a workaround drawn by hand, because it would be impossible to modify it once it’s extruded (well impossible is not the word but it would be an unnecessary hassle and i don’t have the time for this now) what i need is a quick solution for obtaining a parametric voronoi tessellation just like rhino + grasshopper would do. if i had more time i would have started to learn how to work in RH+GH but i can’t afford it right now.

i have found some old thread about this issue in c4d -> http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=182&t=309530

unfortunately i need it totally 3d because i need to make some sections and plans of the house, not just renders…

i was wondering if there were a simple Xpresso way to achieve this, in this order. i make my lofted surface and define some points on it, and with the help of xpresso to generate the voronoi tessellation based on the points i define on my surface.

here’s another example of what i’m talking about

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_zm0ouHUOfRU/SfCvGRO6UgI/AAAAAAAAAJ8/qWMpPejQUjU/s1600-h/competition_TRIPOD.jpg

watch this tutorial, while it is focused on cloth it shows you how to easily convert geometry into a voronoi pattern

http://www.cineversity.com/tutorials/lesson.asp?tid=734

Interesting things are possible using the DiTools plugin. DiTessa specifically.

I realize that this isn’t the look you are after exactly, but its something I made before, I think what you want would be possible with ditools. One really nice plus: it remains completely parametric, so you can change the noise pattern (its driven by a shader), the subdivision, the extrusion - in real-time.

In my opinion ( personal use ) .

-Do the paths in Illustrator and export.
-Merge, and subdivide the spline, using intermediate points, change to uniform and increase number.
-Add an extrude/loft Nurb.
-Use deformers to give it shape.

:slight_smile:
hope that had help.

cumps
Xcut0r

Here’s an approach based on placing clones on a mesh in Edge mode. The voronoi pattern was made using the Create Polygon tool against a background image. Of course, it can be changed by moving points on the mesh.

If fillets are needed on the corners as shown in the second example, this approach would not be suitable.

Hmmm, I created this in R11.5 and just opened it in R11 to find that the clones had shrunk. In order to work in R11, the cube needs to be resized along the Y axis to around 105 mm.

hi,
i am interested in that too.
would it be possible to implement something like “k-means and voronoi tessalation” ?
it is based in Open proccessing.
the source code is available also.
then i think that having a mesh divided this way it would be easy to use “Edge Sweep” and extrude the edges using a profile of your choice.

edit: i don’t know what Open Proccessing can do but these examples are cool

Maybe this has some merit … though i like darters option.

Using atom array with a cut up cube ?

That could have a better result if you use advanced atom array by defcom-x, since you can use Cube edges instead of Cylinders.

I think this is the solution you want

http://www.paraclouding.com/GEM/

if it would be neat if one coud put any shader (voroni3 in that case) into the vectorice-object.
-> Should we suggest that to the friendly people at MAXON?

Hi Jonah,

Would you mind sharing your DiTessa setup? I’ve had DiTools for years and I had no idea it could do that. I recently had to model a screen very similar to your model and it too forever to model by hand. I knew there had to be a better way.

Jack

why not render a black and white image from top view of the voronoi shader on a plane and put the rendered image into the vectorizer object?
cheers

hello darter, your method is the most decent workaround in c4d i have seen until now. the only downside would be that you have to draw by hand the voronoi tessellation, and it’s not computer generated, but it’s still very close to what i need.

the cuts have to be done in a certain way. wikipedia explains the algorythm here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voronoi_diagram

that’s why i assumed it would be possible to make an xpresso setup or maybe even better a script that would make things much easier when you need a surface cut respecting the voronoi algorythm, according to a set of points that belong to that surface and set by the user…

as seen in the wiki link i have inserted above, the c4d voronoi noise shaders have little in common with the real thing (no pun intended but this is the reality). actually voronoi3 is the one that is the closest to the actual voronoi diagram, but is only approximative.

also putting it into a vectorizer object would make it very hard to edit, except making the whole shader method again and again… even more, the result(as i have already tried this method :wink: is not so accurate, due to the approximative nature of the c4d shader, ant the result is a bit messy and memory intensive(lots of unwanted points, jagged lines, and so on…)

also searching on the internet i have found this pdf, but i have not a single notion about scripting and it’s very hard for me to apply this knowledge into a script for c4d -> http://webdocs.cs.ualberta.ca/~kenw/papers/tess.pdf still i’m linking this file here, maybe someone with the knowledge and free time is willing to transform it into a c4d usable script… :smiley:

thank you for your patience…

P.S.: a “weird”(as in the post has been deleted) thing happened to my post where i was explaining why posting a link to a payed area of a certain web site is no help for me… i know that it so happens that some of our moderators have their own paid sites for teaching c4d, but it is an abuse to delete a post just for not looking good for your business… if you don’t want to help for free, it’s ok, it’s your right. but deleting other people’s posts because it’s not good for business, well then maybe you have to choose, have a legitimate business or be a moderator. moderating for your wallet looks like selling a vaccine for a pandemic that doesn’t exist. i don’t need an answer for my opinion so don’t bother.

Hi,
Interesting problem you have, could Topmodhelp?

Happy to Jack!

You’ll want michael welter’s smooth deformer plugin if you want to see my exact setup.

This is the best I’ve managed to get using a displacement map. Note that some of the Voronoi cells are filled in. I don’t think there’s anything you can do about that.