vehicle: Honda s2000

Sorry for the dead links, but the server where I put my older pictures is almost always dying. See last pages for the newest pictures!

Wow, it looks very professional. But tell me, are the parts separated in the first 2 pics too, or do you cut them all for the 3rd pic?

No, the parst were separeted on the first 2 pictures too.

Oh, very clean word. What have you done to fit the edges in such a precise way? Are you working with MeshSmooth groups or do yoe chamfer it several times? And how do you proceed? What is your trick?

Please explain it a little bit more detailed, because these car edges are looking so real and I just have a problem with those edges.

• first U have to detach the different parts from each other
  • then use extrude in edge level, with 0 extrusion height
  • then comes the solidify modifier (also known as ‘shell’ in MAX 6)
  • then konvert back to poly, (or collapse the modifier) and put the whole object into smoothing group 1
  • finally comes the meshsmooth (or subdiv)

Hey Lion! Its pretty cool to see you among us here at CGTalk! :smiley:

First of all: Welcome!

Second: Car looks great, as usual. Not kiddin’ really. I’m looking forward seeing more pics as this baby gets closer to perfection.

Third: Please add roleplaying into your interest in the bio details. Come on! You couldn’t have forgotten about that!

nice beginning ! very clean edges here. would like to see a wireview. keep it up !

Here are some wires:

There are not perfect, but that’s what I can - by the time :slight_smile:

theyre really fine. I cant spot any major mistakes here. the only thing i am not quite sure about is the engine hood. is it so long in reality ? i guess it is :slight_smile:
lookin` forward to your next step.

Originally posted by LionTR
[B]- first U have to detach the different parts from each other

• then use extrude in edge level, with 0 extrusion height
  • then comes the solidify modifier (also known as ‘shell’ in MAX 6)
  • then konvert back to poly, (or collapse the modifier) and put the whole object into smoothing group 1
  • finally comes the meshsmooth (or subdiv) [/B]

Lion, thanks for reply. There are some points I don’t understand.

First if I select a few edges from my editable mesh and want to extrude them how can I do it with a 0 value for extrusion (I use Max 5.1)? I must at least fill in a value != 0, otherwise I cant extrude.

Next question: What is a solidify modifier? Max 5.1 doesn’t know it.

Thanks for your help. I hope I don’t bother you, I want to learn to make these nice edges…

Very nice indeed !

I also had problems with making “clean” edges, but you really helped me here. Thx

RealViper:
Solidify also known as Shell isn’t available in 5.1.
It make the polys "thick"and it’s a great modifier !

Sorry Lars, it IS available for 5, look here:
http://www.dreamsandmagic.com/p_max.htm

It is a great time saver, max 6’s shell is even better

Nice model BTW very tight work!

sexy sexy sexy :smiley:
how did you construct it? polys from the ground up?

visjes: no, I usually build cars fro a box.

RealViper: yeah, solidify is a very cool plugin (sorry for don’t mentioning it’s a plugin), it’s a bit like offset surface in NURBS.
Extrude: in edge level, U click on box ‘settings’ next to the Extrude box, there U find 2 things: extrusion height and extrusion base width. (I use MAX 5) There Height is set to 10.0 by default, and base width to 3.0. I used these settings: 0.0/0.2, but it depends on how big your modell in MAX space is.
I hope I was clear, if U cannot understand, tell me.

Sorry for no update, but school make me too busy to do what I wan’t. I have just this little thing:

You don’t need to be sorry Tbonz816.
That is great news for max 5 users ! :slight_smile:

I had a little spare time in the past few days, so I Could work on the car.

Here are some pictures:

Real Nice Rims! I’m the one from the BMW 3 Coupe a few threads under yours, please explain me how to make such nice rims :slight_smile: I need those too to make my car look great! Keep going!!!

looks spot on :slight_smile:

JDMedia: ok, I will make a little tutorial for U about rim modelling, but U have wait a little, cuz by the time I am not home :slight_smile: