Vector-Based Texturing in Video Games?

I was recently talking to someone and they were telling me that the textures in Need For Speed: Most Wanted were vector-based. I don’t know if this is true, but I was curious if anyone had some information on vector-based texturing in video-games (on 3D models, not just HUD overlays).

I think they were just high-res bitmaps of vector-art, but I’m no expert on texturing. :hmm:

• Jon

I’ve never heard of actual vector textures in games, actually… I doubt that’s possible, actually, but I could be wrong.

I havnt either.

Surely vectors would be too process intensive?

Thanks, Phantom.
To be exact, it’s more along the lines of the “decal” textures, such as DC Sports, Sparco, etc. Not the other textures or vinyls themselves. It’s been bugging me for quite some time, which is why I’m trying to find out exactly what EA did and how they did it.

They were surely vector images, that much is for certain. But I’m just trying to find out how they did it for our own project on the horizon now.

Yes, exactly… the whole process of the graphical card is just copying texture parts shaped like a triangle from one place to another. Vector graphics don’t quite mesh there, really.

the only use I could think of for using vector art in a game engine would be for getting the best image quality for the different LOD models. Even then, you’d have a rasterization step every time you needed to scale your texture for a LOD swap.

Maybe they meant that vector graphics were used to create the textures? Or maybe that’s what they heard and they simply misunderstood?

= truth

I mentioned that the source for the textures was probably vector based, but the textures themselves would be bitmaps… It seems that no one has heard of it, so I think it’s safe to say it doesn’t exist (or at least is far from popular).

It would be really cool if video-cards supported true NURBs and vector-based textures - especially for car video games & NURBS modeling.

• Jon

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.