Using takes tutorial

It’s Friday, you want to go home, but you need to wrangle 20 variations of a project for a client that can’t make up their mind. Time to start using takes! It only takes a couple of minutes to get your head around it but it will save you hours.

//youtu.be/EQPN2pBnuJo

Yet another helpful vid, Matthew. Super!

I do have a few quibbles.

-You minimized an option for over-ride that I think is exceptionally useful: The display/visibility of objects. I think it is common in such a workflow to want to turn specific objects off entirely for various takes and that is easily accomplished with overrides. Visibility:Editor and Visibility:Render are easily toggled per take. Or the object can be disabled entirely for a given taken.

-Animation wasn’t mentioned. You can assign unique keyframes for each object on any take

The take system can be used not merely for multi-render output to clients but also as a way to explore and audition.

I suspect in a longer or multi-part video you might have covered these, but just so take-newbies are aware of the features… :slight_smile:

I need to remember to use takes more often and so I’ve made a casual list here of things one can do w/takes:

-Use one text object but have different takes for unique verbiage or typographical settings
-Different light settings–intensity, color, position per take
-Use one camera but w/different focal length, focus object, DOF settings, etc.
-Mograph settings. For example takes w/different modifiers enabled or different settings
-Have a character w/multiple hair styles
-Displacement values turned up, down or off for takes to speed rendering
-One landscape with a different seed or entirely different settings

***Plugins like X-Particles can utilize takes. For example I might want to audition a variety of particle styles, colors. These can be stored as takes.

At some point I am going to have to actually sell something to earn a living, can’t be giving it all away :wink: