Using and object to mask another (not boolean)

Hi, a tricky one. I would like to know about compositing inside C4D. Is there a way to use an object or a layer and use it as mask to reveal what is inside another layer or Group?

I know I can do that in post but it will delay the visual feedback quite a lot.

I’m checking now and so far I dont see how I could manage that.

thanks!

I just today used the Compositing tag to use an object as a matte to hide a portion of a visible model. As far as using it to reveal something, the black matte color square is animatable, so since it acts as a cut out when it’s set to black, I would think you can animate the black color square to white and it should reveal something. I haven’t tried, but maybe it will work?

Ryan

I should note that this is a render solution, not a real-time solution. If you are looking for realtime feedback, I’m not sure of a solution to that.

Ryan

Hey gdogfunk, thanks for answering! Actually, it’s the exact opposite I was thinking about… Only the inside of the object would be revealed, while the outside is full black.

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.