User Interface Vote!

After reading this thread I’d like to put it to a vote to see where everyone stands on their personal UI design preference for 8.0. I’ve left out Matt’s very cool LWx design since that was never meant for, and not feasible, for 8.0. Here’s some links to help you review the different styles:

Lightwave Interface history from 1.0 to 7.5

Early Lightwave 8 preview screenshots (digital fusion style)

Lightwave 8.0 preview screenshots

New December Lightwave 8.0 screenshots, same as above but with different colored buttons

EDIT: I’m a realist. This is about what you would like to see from what has been previously developed. “None of the above” and “Magical super futuristic redesign” is not an option. If you don’t like the choices then please feel free to voice your opinion below, or if you want, I’ll spare you. :shrug:

Spare me:rolleyes:

You are spared, my good man, now go! Go, I say! You are free!

(I like your new avatar!)

I love the fusion style interface, yes it’s somewhat flashy, but I really like it, in fact I think it’s better then even XSI or Houdini. My second choose would be the newest LW screen shots.

Hmm, interesting. I didn’t expect that so many people liked the fusion style. It’s a bit too flashy for me.

what?
no choice to make it look like maya?
no marking menus,attribute editor,hypergarph,outliner,component editor,attribute spead sheet,connection editor,visor,channel box,blind data editor,channel control,script editor,command shell,paint affects editor,hardware render buffer,shading group attribute editor,multilister,trax editor,dope sheet,blend shape editor,expression editor,device editor,set editor,deformer set editor,character sets,partitions,display layers,render layers,render flag editor,dynamic relationship editors,light centric editor,object centric editor,texture centric editor,uv-centric editor,fur-uv centic editor,custom shelves,custom panels,tear-off panels,custom colors for everything except the marking menus,camera book marking,render view/ipr with a custom sizable render area for both that you draw with your mouse,right click on everything so in fact you dont even need an interface to get to just about anything or any options with and without useing hotkeys?

well i guess i cant vote then…

greenlee, I left out anything that wouldn’t be feasible for the soon to be released LW 8 (actually, now that I think about it, I should have left out the old school and the 5.x UI since those aren’t feasible either)

Granted you didn’t include other varieties, but how about a NONE OF THE ABOVE vote.

cgman, a none of the above isn’t very specific. I just assumed that people who didn’t like the choices above would just post their ideas as greenlee has, like a write-in box on a ballot. Made sense to me, sorry, I don’t make many polls. :shrug:

Originally posted by wgreenlee1
[B]what?
no choice to make it look like maya?
no marking menus,attribute editor,hypergarph,outliner,component editor,attribute spead sheet,connection editor,visor,channel box,blind data editor,channel control,script editor,command shell,paint affects editor,hardware render buffer,shading group attribute editor,multilister,trax editor,dope sheet,blend shape editor,expression editor,device editor,set editor,deformer set editor,character sets,partitions,display layers,render layers,render flag editor,dynamic relationship editors,light centric editor,object centric editor,texture centric editor,uv-centric editor,fur-uv centic editor,custom shelves,custom panels,tear-off panels,custom colors for everything except the marking menus,camera book marking,render view/ipr with a custom sizable render area for both that you draw with your mouse,right click on everything so in fact you dont even need an interface to get to just about anything or any options with and without useing hotkeys?

well i guess i cant vote then… [/B]

all i can say is thank god - the maya UI is absoluly horrendous

jsut from that list it has far to many bloody ediotrs - spend 90% time moving from one to the next

and lightwave 7.5 has many of those thigns on your list jsut better intergrated so you dont need to open up and editor to use the functionalty in other cases it jsut plain has them and afew lightwave 8 is going to have

Originally posted by KillMe
[B]all i can say is thank god - the maya UI is absoluly horrendous

jsut from that list it has far to many bloody ediotrs - spend 90% time moving from one to the next

and lightwave 7.5 has many of those thigns on your list jsut better intergrated so you dont need to open up and editor to use the functionalty in other cases it jsut plain has them and afew lightwave 8 is going to have [/B]

yeah really…all those editors…whatta pain
just like the render engine…whatta pain all those options and panels…man what a pain it is…just too many things to do…whatta pain it is…to have to go through all that stuff…im worn out from all the options and editors…

[B]all i can say is thank god - the maya UI is absoluly horrendous

and lightwave 7.5 has many of those thigns on your list jsut better intergrated so you dont need to open up and editor to use the functionalty in other cases it jsut plain has them and afew lightwave 8 is going to have [/B]

Not another person talking about a program they don’t have a clue about. :rolleyes: It doesn’t sound like you know much about LightWave either – it’s nothing but a bunch of panels, plugins, or scripts scattered around.

All programs use many panels, so what’s your point? Maya just has alot because it has alot (more) of features.

might not wear you out but it sure as hell slows you down

and the options are there in lightwave you jsut dont have to spend 3 hours searching for them

i’m talking about simple stuff like wanting to bevel a face - tell em tahts is not done far mroe elegantly in lightwave than it is in maya

using that as an example but the prinple holds for alot of things - and frankly you must think so too since you yourself model in lightwave

while its maybe abit better for animation technically its not an artists program its a programers program

please guys, no maya vs. lightwave mudslinging. :cry: I want everyone to get a chance to vote without a mod locking it.

i apoligise - but :wink: wgreenlee1 started it :wise:

[B]might not wear you out but it sure as hell slows you down

and the options are there in lightwave you jsut dont have to spend 3 hours searching for them [/B]

no,it slows you down
how can it slow you down when everything is right there,the whole application is a spacebar click away?get whatcha need let go of the space bar and yer off and running again…i dont see how menus that come from nowhere can slow you down
the whole marking menu is set just like the interface except it hides when you dont need it
you hit it,bring out your editor,do your business,minimize it go and then when you need it again get it off the task bar or spacebar it and its up there so you can use it and then its gone again…
no,it slows you down

plus you make your own toolsets with out messing with the defaults
so you can have your modeling tools there in one bunch right where you need them,without messing with the defaults

It would be nice if Newtek improved the ctrl-shift menu and made it more customizable, at least so that you could assign a different keyboard shortcut.

ok i could quit now but i feel obliged to continue

1. yeah you can do teh space bar doohickey, but thats not all teh functionality a key press away thats a keypress to bring up editors to bring up yet more ediots which in turn open more editors

maya requires an ediotr for everything and damn it jsut feels liek your doing too much work for small simple things

and if you like it so much you can do teh same thing basically in lightwave i dont use them casue the default arrangement makes no sence and unlike someone whos set up i saw online i dont knwo hwo to alter them

1. i have my own tool sets simple create a tab and put all the tools you want there leaving the defaults alone

2. take your modeling tools want to do a load of multiple bevels etc etc etc - in lightwave bevel draginng the mouse out and up or what ever you want right click more of the same - maya the same thing was clumbsy and jsut took about 3 times aslong

i dont think you can change the keys but i saw one guy who had it arrangeed like the the main interface - create modify etc etc etc was cool would love to know how he did it