Urgent Help Needed: My AMD died on me

Hi I’m in the middle of an important project, and my PC just died on me when I need it most. I deeply appreciate your assistance in moving me out of this situation. I’ve used Greg’s “I need help” template :stuck_out_tongue: to make it easy for everyone.

Many Thanks,

- Full description of problem:

System doesn’t post on power up. No beep sounds form mobo. Screen remains in standby mode. CD-ROM lights flash, USB seems to work (lights flash on my Nostromo n50). I also hear the HDDs tick briefly. All fans operational, case LEDs operational, as is the PSU. Power button shuts down computer if held for a period (as usual). A green LED on mobo is on.

- THINGS I’VE TRIED SO FAR and to what effect

Just some basics so far: Rebooted, turned everything off unplugged all cables (Power+USB+Monitor…ect…).

- When did this problem start?

I had a power outage that over-stressed the UPS. The system shut off before the UPS software kicked in. Happened before but, never with this disturbing outcome.

Is this a new system or new installation?

No

If not, provide:

• list of recent software installations

Will provide as requested, no major additions before the issue.

• list of recent software upgrades

Will provide as requested, no major additions before the issue.

- list of recent hardware changes

None of late…in fact none inside the unit since initial assembly.

2) Ram configuration and Ram Speed:

2x 512MB Corsair XMS Extreme 32MX8 PC-3500C2 w/ Platinum Spreader

3) Motherboard, chipset information, processor speed, board: revision

-AMD Athlon XP 2800+ w/ 333FSB (OEM)
-Asus A7V8X / LAN-UAY w/ (10/100NIC,SPDIF Sound).**++

**Not sure about Mobo Rev.
++ Now an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe (nForce2).

4a) Processor cooling, case cooling:

-Case: -Chieftec AX-01SLD Silver Aluminum Case
-Thermalright SLK-800A with Enermax 80mm fan (Sucks air from SLK-800)
-Chip installed with AS-3
-5x Enermax 80mm Fans for the case

-Average CPU Temp 37-45C

5) Video card, drivers being used with the videocard, modifications done:

-Gainward PowerPack Ultra750 XP Golden Sample w/ Twin DVI out
-Running nVidia ForceWare v53.03 (WHQL - Dec 9/03)

6) Bios settings, AGP4x, AGP driving value:

-Didn’t need to check those in a while, can’t provide accurate values.

7) Type of periphals in the computer:

-Creative Soundblaster Audigy2 Platinum Retail Edition
-TOSHIBA 16X DVD-ROM Model SD-M1612 Drive
-2x WD WESTERN DIGITAL “SPECIAL EDITION” 80GB 7200RPM EIDE (# WD800JB)
-US Robotics 2216 22/11Mbps 802.11b Wireless PCI Adapter**
-Several USB devices: NostromoN50,IntelWebCam,SaitekX45…

**Likes to go on and off from time to time.

8) Wattage of power supply:

-ENERMAX EG465AX-VE (W)FMA. 433W Power supply
-APC Back-UPS CS 500, (Never sent for CS recall) (220v)

I opened the case, unseated the graphics card. Disconnected the PSU from the mobo. A drive slider was sitting under the mobo, and may have caused a short. I hoped that would solve it. But sadly the problem remained after I powered up again…:cry:

it might be a power suply case problem… i had the same one… replace it with a good one… buy a 400wat or more… for the future.
Q

he allready has a enermax…thats a good one.

do you have any old components which you can put in? For example a old graphics card?

Also try to boot with only the nesseccary parts, no cdrom, no pci cards etc.

Does it boot the OS and you just don’t see it? Cause you said the HD makes some noise…

System doesn’t post on power up. No beep sounds form mobo. Screen remains in standby mode. CD-ROM lights flash, USB seems to work (lights flash on my Nostromo n50). I also hear the HDDs tick briefly. All fans operational, case LEDs operational, as is the PSU. Power button shuts down computer if held for a period (as usual). A green LED on mobo is on.

Excellent! You’ve already gone through alot of troubleshooting steps.

You checked for shorts (which is usually the cause of such things)…now here’s some more stuff to try…

Disconnect everything but…

1 dimm
1 video card
1 processors/hsf and fan.

Have no power to anything but the board and the hsf fan.

Try that.

If that doesn’t work? Try reseting the cmos using your onboard jumper.

Try again.

No dice?

The next thing I’d try is finding another psu to try. It is possible if the UPS failed to protect the machine, that the internal fuse for the psu blew.

Basically the system is turning on and shutting right back off right?

If another psu fails to boot the system…

I’d try another dimm (just 1) and try again.

If that fails, I’d consider taking the whole board out, checking for pcb damage (burnt marks), and reseating the HSF and cpu.

Check the bottom of the cpu for possible damage. (Its pretty obvious if its occured).

goodluck.

Thanks guys, I’ll dig deeper into this within the next hour or two.

Greg it’s great to hear from you as ever.

“Basically the system is turning on and shutting right back off right?”

No, I should’ve mentioned that the system stays on for as long as I leave it…but it doesn’t post. And I can still hold the power button for a while to turn it off…(ATX power functions still work)

Another thing I want to mention, is that the UPS had the red “Overload” light on with a constant beep when the issue happened. It stayed like that even after the system shut down by itself. It (UPS) came back on to normal, after I shut/turned it on again.

So Greg I will run through your checklist and hope for the best.

IC4- I have some components I can try with, I’ll get em over here soon. I don’t think the system boots at all, there should be a posting beep if that’s to be the case. as for the HDDs I did say "I also hear the HDDs tick briefly."

Milkyman, my post title has nothing to do with narrow minded platform politics. I just happen to call it “my AMD” 'cause I like it. Short of giving it a proper name the way I call my dog (a Rottweiler), that’s the best thing I can come up with. BTW I want to thank Greg and Madmax who did a great job helping me put it together.

Ah well that eliminates a short. The symptom for that is the machine instantly turning off the second you turn it on…with a smell of ozone usually.

No, I should’ve mentioned that the system stays on for as long as I leave it…but it doesn’t post. And I can still hold the power button for a while to turn it off…(ATX power functions still work)

So no beeps? Does the system shut right off when you hit the power button, or do you have to hold it in? (Try both).

If you have to hold the power button in…it could be the video card. If the bios doesn’t post, a single click of the power button will shut the system immediately off, as ACPI can’t exist without some sort of command interface.

What happens if you remove the video card completely? Any beeps?

If you remove all the ram do you get any beeps?

(Make sure the pc speaker is connected heh)

Just some additional stuff to try, while your trying suggestions from my other post.

Power surges suck :(. On a side note, if it was a surge, depending on the UPS company, they should replace all your hardware.

-Removed GPU and booted…no beeps
-Removed all cards, HDDs, CD-ROM and booted…no beeps
-Removed the above all RAM, booted…no beeps

Dont’t really know where this is heading. Greg do you think we have a dead mobo?

I think if your mobo was alive it should give off those beep warnings, did you check asus websites for any info? they might just tell you what happens if you get al the lights on but no beep. you usually get a weird beep if your CPU is dead, sounds more like ur mobo though.

might want to try www.extremeoverclocking.com and post this problem, they have a specific forum for asus mobos and should be glad to help out. just a thought.

you must be damn frustrated, seems like you had quite a machine there!

good luck

SMH,

Did you try…

1. Another psu?

2. Setting the CMOS reset jumper?

3. Removing the motherboard and checking for damage?

4. Reseating the CPU/Heatsink and checking for damage?

I managed to test the HDDs on another PC…and thank God they are working! My data is safely backed up now.

I took the whole thing apart, then inspected the mobo for possible flaws, and I found none. I have to say the system was really dusty. All in all it looks like the mobo gave in to the surge.

I’m wondering, can I install my HDDs, as they are with a new mobo (Asus A7N8X Deluxe). Will I really need to format them and reinstall a fresh system. I was running a dual boot XP/2K setup. And it’s quite a pain to build it all up from scratch. Not to mention all the massive service packs that I need to download.

Originally posted by GregHess
[B]SMH,

Did you try…

1. Another psu?

2. Setting the CMOS reset jumper?

3. Removing the motherboard and checking for damage?

4. Reseating the CPU/Heatsink and checking for damage? [/B]

Hi Greg,

I tried number 3, and I scanned below the CPU socket (under the mobo) for signs of damage but found none. Do you think I should put it back in and try 1 and 2?

Originally posted by bumskee
[B]you must be damn frustrated, seems like you had quite a machine there!

good luck [/B]

Yeah man, thanks.

Yup…the think with troubleshooting (and you’ve got the worst kind) is just going through the list a few times.

Now put the whole shebang back together and see if it works.

Do try another PSU if you have one available. Borrow one from another machine, snag one from a friend, etc.

You could also try opening the PSU and checking the fuse…although this voids the warranty on the PSU, and can be pretty dangerous. (Those capicators have enough charge to knock you out pretty good).

It does sound like the system might be hosed…do you have an APC UPS? Their pretty good about replacing damaged hardware.

As for the “new board transfer…” sometimes it works without too much fuss…sometimes its just a horrid mess.

I’m sorry for not showing up earlier, I had to buy myself some time. I got a new mobo (Asus A7N8X Deluxe) and another Enermax just like the one I already have. This is what I did so far:

-Tested the mobo with the new PSU (no HDD,RAM,GPU, ect…)…still no beeps.

-Tried to reset CMOS, but it won’t power up when the is jumper set to reset mode.

Greg I think I lost the mobo, what do you think?

“do you have an APC UPS? Their pretty good about replacing damaged hardware.”

Yes I do actually, but do you think they’ll do something about it here? Take a look at my location, I’m not in the U.S. But I think they do have a dealership here, a very lame one BTW.

Anyway, I just want to make sure nothing else is fried. So I’ll wait a bit for your reply if it comes soon enough. Then I’ll install the new mobo.

And as usual you’ve been terrific, so many thanks to you and all the kind folks who offered their advice.:thumbsup:

SMH,

I’d contact them just the same. They might be very helpful, and get you some $$$ for replacement parts.

I guess the only thing to do now is use the new board and psu to test components…to see what you lost.

Hi,

I’m following up on this for the record. I want to make sure other members can benefit too.

Well it was the motherboard after all, I installed a new Asus A7N8X Deluxe, and the system posted right away even without the HDDs. Greg your checklist was very effective. I didn’t need to worry about other components being faulty, after running trough it.

I’m still thinking through the cause of this problem though. The APC should’ve protected my system, like it used to.

Now that it all worked, I got another issue to worry about…setting up my BIOS. From what I read in the some hw forums, BIOS setup for the A7N8X Deluxe is a bit like dancing in a minefield. Greg I really need your pro advice on this one. I hope to end up with a stable machine, than runs a bit faster than my previous setup. I think I have good components for the task.

For starters the BIOS (v1002g) didn’t seem to detect the CPU properly. Do you think I need a BIOS upgrade?

Many thanks,

SMH,

Since you just got the board, I’d go ahead and just update the bios to the latest version.

Do note that the system will set the FSB to the lowest setting by default, and you’ll have to manually set it to the correct FSB.

(Aka it probably detected your cpu correctly, it just ran it at a 200, or 266 FSB)

APC’s do protect computers up to a point…generally if they go, the computer can and will take a hit as well. If its showing an overloaded sign, it could require replacement now. (Thats why I’d call APC and talk to them).

What particular aspect of the A7N8X bios do you need help with?

Greg …respect to you for your EXCELLENT attitude.

SMH I hope you sort it all out.

PixelVampire,

I’m just here to help :). This is my main resting place since the general dismemberfest of the old support.discreet.forum, (which still exists, just not in its original light).