UPGRADES : Something I did not know......


OK, just heard back from Maxon UK. They messed up…BP1 would be upgraded to 2 for
no extra charge.

Admins, please delete this post, lock it, or whatever you guys do!



Hope I can clarify, but forgive me if it doesn’t. I just spoke to Maxon UK. Like Fretshredder I have R8.5 Studio with BP1 and no Sketch & Toon. They confirmed that if I upgrade to R9 Studio for £599, I automatically get BP 2 and S&T. Nice bonus but still quite a steep upgrade cost. Have to think about this one - I’ve also got MB 6 upgrade and XSI Foundation to think about (not as replacements, purely additional tools).


Really? Hmm if MaxonUS agrees with this pricing then I have no problem paying that to update EVERYTHING from 8.5 studio to 9 studio! Then I can stop bitching :slight_smile: Thanks for the update…time to call Rafi methinks


If you have the R8 Studio Bundle without S&T and with BP 1 or 2 you will have to pay $895
If you have the R8 Studio Bundle with S&T and with BP 1 or 2 you will have to pay $595
Which BP release you have makes no difference.

Hope this helps


Yes this helps. However, still no break for those of us that purchased R8.5? And if so why?


Sorry, i don’t know. I’m just a tech guy and not intimate to marketing and sales.


hi srek,

now that is a very fair upgrade price in my opinion. now if only this was on the website so people could find this out!

i’ll get my credit card ready… oh, but can i still keep my BP standalone? (good for maya an other app use - as the standalone was intended) do i need to upgrade that separate or will the BP2 serial that activated the module in the Studio Bundle activate it as a standalone too? (it should from my perspective)



Hehehe we know, but as the lone Maxon rep online we gotta slam you with all the questions :)…I intend to talk to Rafi asap

Cheers though


They’re all online. Srek’s the only one talking though. It’s like the monster with 20 heads and only one mouth :wink:


BP Stand Alone will need a different serial, but you don’t need BP Standalone. CINEMA with BP installed works just like BP regarding max, Maya and LW. Switch to the BP layout and there is no difference (beside the differently named executable).


Ok, this is just a bit irritating. From what I’m reading, it looks like I don’t get any break for having ALREADY updated to 8.5 and BP2 (and S&T). I will pay the same price as someone that has 8.2 and BP1?

Oh - And what about Shave? Does the latest and greatest work with R9?




sorry to go totally off topic - but i wanted to email you and could not find your email anywhere.

please email me at

joe(insert at sign)sketchbookdesign.com



OK! Here´s a question. I purshased XL R8 and upgraded to 8.5. Purshased Dynamics and BodyPaint R1. Upgraded BodyPaint R1 to R2 and later Sketch and Toon. Do I qualify as a Studio owner or just as and XL owner with some extra modules reagarding the upgrade to R9?



yeah i do know that part - but if i in the future go maya only i will want my standalone BP2 to go with it. can’t keep paying the large studio upgrade cost just for the BP part. although with the strides c4d is taking (besides in the information dept ; ) i may be going c4d only…

i guess i may just upgrade both separately then…



Srek posted somewhere that Shave was tested and worked–
as for registration,
when I ordered the Maxon lady told me to call them next monday, until then they should have information on how the procedure will be, since the serials would come from Joe Alter inc. via UK----



Hey Casper,

As far as my converstaions with Maxon UK tell me, you have to own ALL the Studio modules to be classed as a Studio owner. That means you are going to have to buy Net Render Module, and yes you are just an XL owner with some extra modules. Mention this to the guys at Maxon and they may help you out with a Net Render + Studio Upgrade!

The way I see it, the XL and STUDIO bundles are great for first time buyers. It is pointless upgrading later as the current R8.x XL to R9 Studio upgrade is £1199 and would not update any of your extra modules!

Its the staggered modular updates that do it! If R9 Studio revised all modules at the same time nobody would be complaining. In fact, it is almost worth Maxon sticking Clothilde into Dynamics and calling it Dynamics V2. Psycologically, this would probably play better in peoples minds - and hey presto, XL to Studio upgraders by the hundreds.

Then again what do I know…:shrug:



Er, is it just me or does anyone else feel a migraine coming on after reading this thread. Behold the ‘convenience’ of a module system in all its glory :smiley:
Still, I hope to be up there with you R9 owners one day, I seriously am already too used to the hotbox, I don’t like not having it, insane (is it customizable - say for eg I don’t need the spline editors on there?).
Oh, just on a minor sidenote, I couldn’t configure my graphire 2 side buttons to v, don’t suppose anyone else has been using the demo with a graphire 2?


Thanks for the answer mecha.

I’ll drop Maxon an email.



When I was originally shocked by the upgrade cost, this was why. I was planning on purchasing MOCCA and AR to go with my core; I have little interest in many of the others, and I realized that with this upgrade, if I had bought those 2 modules, I would have to pay more than XL or STUDIO users would!

However, when I thought about it a bit more, I decided I didn’t mind at all. Sure the price is a bit shocking, but in the next round of module updates, when everyone else is upset at the cost of updating TP, Net Render, PyroCluster and Dynamics, I won’t have to spend a penny (unless it’s a major upgrade, and I have to pay the “handling fee” or something).

Similarly, someone with the Core, TP, NetRender, PyroCluster, S&T, and Dynamics right now will only have to pay $295 to upgrade! (…taxes and handling fees not included…)

So, as Mecha said, I think a pricing problem with the modules is very present, but only psychologically. (Well… I’m still waiting to see the official US module upgrade prices.)



This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.