Upgrade cost


Er, that sounds a bit UK-ish, I think our minimum wage is actually higher (not that all employers stick to it of course). I see I may have to retract my earlier statement about your average wage being higher than in the UK :slight_smile:


Every other company are making it cheaper to upgrade their products, or buy the full programme. Maxon decide to put a hundred percent increase on the upgrade to C4D R9 compared to the upgrade to 8.5. The logic to this makes me want to puke. I really like C4D but I cant stand a company that just takes the piss out of it’s customers.
I’m going back to saving up for Maya, or XSI is looking tempting.


Alias and Soft also have far higher costs; for a long time the Maya development team consisted of over 200 people, while Maxon’s core development team has been under 10 (I think it was around 4 for the core development effort).


There’s been a lot of people talking about switching to Maya but I switched from Maya to C4D. The main reason I switched was for the ease of use but another big consideration was/is Alias’ pricing structure vs Maxon’s. When I bought a new Mac I found out Alias wanted $150.00 U.S. to transfer the license. When I bought C4D I wanted to sell Maya but I found out I can’t, Alias won’t let me. In contrast, to move C4D to my new computer, I copied the files over and entered the serial number.

C4d’s pricing structure is wonderful compared to Alias’ hideous gouging. I wanted to buy Motion Builder but now that Alias owns it, I won’t touch it due to their pricing policies. You don’t own Maya, you rent it.

Just trying to add some perspective… :stuck_out_tongue:


:applause: Not really, but I like Abba more than Maxon right now!!


I dislike paying money needlessly just like the next man but…
The R8->R8.5 didn’t give you that much, SSS, texture layering, and some tidbits.
R8.5->R9 seem like a whole new ballgame (as any full number upgrades should be)
I don’t have the Swedish prices yet but if the upgrade is about twice the R8->R8.5 I’d be happy (except going 8.5->9 should be cheaper than 8.0->9 as a general principle).

I pay for C4D with taxed money, Swedish evil 25% VAT and all for the sheer pleasure of doodling around on my free time. MotionBuilder and Maya at work but who needs 'em?

(I feel my skin harden as my flame proof asbestos-nanites kick in)


My issue isn’t so much with the “price” as the “policy.”

I see the US price for the studio bundle as $595 for the upgrade and $300 more for S&T - for a total of $895.

If Maxon said that the Studio bundle was always going to cost $895 to upgrade from full version to full version (ie. 8-9 or 9-10) and that price stayed the same regardless of how many modules were added…then I would be ok.

If I didn’t purchase the new modules I would not have keys for them and would still have to pay for them if I needed or wanted them.

The problem is it’s an unknown at this point…if they add 2 new modules this year that I don’t need - will I be paying $1295 to upgrade next year? what if they add 3? 4?

If I have no use for them I should not have to pay for them. Period. Maxon chose the module approach…

That said - Srek stated he did not believe the S&T purchase was required to upgrade. That’s not the impression I’ve gotten so far…but I have an inquiry out to Rafi to confirm.


What is the US price for R8 to R9 XL Bundle?

My previous post was all wrong as I just got the prices from Maxon:
About 4 times the cost to go R8 to R9 (instead of the more reasonable twice the cost)
NO rebate of any kind for upgrading to R8.5, I upgraded at the end of June with no mention of me being ahem “colonally stimulated” for the R9. Had I known about the R9 pricing I shure as hell wouldn’t have uppgraded.
All serial plugs needing upgrades seem utterly uncool too.
Bye Maxon, hello Alias for me (just need to dig up thos Maya manuals I’ve neglected)


I just recieved a pdf with price info from Programpaketet.To upgrade from
XL Bundle 8.x to XL Bundle 9 will be SEK 4.895
XL Bundle 8.x to Studio Bundle 9 will be SEK 14.595
Studio Bundle 8.x to Studio Bundle 9 will be SEK 7.350
AR 1 to AR 2 is SEK 1.695
Mocca 1 to Mocca 2 is SEK 2.895

The modules Pyrocluster, Think Particles, BodyPaint 2, Dynamics, Sketch & Toon and Net Render only needs new license numbers which will be free if ordered at the same time as the upgrade and at the latest on nov 30 2004.



OK, I was expecting it to be more expensive than that actually. Good stuff.


I forgot to mention that the prices are without VAT/MwSt.



Plus moms, nota bene…

As a swedish company I will pay circa €50 more than a UK or German company for a Studio+S&T upgrade. That is w/o deductable tax.
A swedish -private- buyer will most likely be the one in the world who pays the most
for R9. We have 25% VAT here…



Hi Lennart! I see that you’re in Uppsala as well as I.



Yeah… the swedish VAT… one of a kind :scream:


Well we in the UK paid £100 for it, (8.0 to 8.5).
I think it was a good upgrade myself- more functional UI.
Currently I pay the same to get to Vs9 as any Vs8.0 user.


If the $150 was for PC to MAC then $150 is fine! Maxon UK charged me £75 (inc taxes) for my PC to MAC.

Once again, if you are talking about PC to Mac (or vice versa) I recommend you do not buy Mesh Surgery. I recently went from PC to MAC and was told I had to buy Mesh Surgery again. Now I have Mesh Surgery on PC and MAC, and dont need either as R9 has all the tools I use built in! I only bought the Mac version about three weeks ago. :twisted:

Whats more I cant sell the damn thing as they are serial locked!

C’est la vie!



i still use MS if you own it…a lot of its functionality just isn’t available in 8.5 or 9…so get the thing installed and start using it bud…its worth its weight in gold…and when MS2 is released…you’ll want to upgrade.
as for serials locked…unfortunately its a hazard of all plugin developers…its the only way they secure their income really.:shrug:


Hey Flingster,

I would never knock Paul and Co. who have spent months on Mesh Surgery, Storm Tracer, etc.

Thats the reason why I didnt complain about the serial locked thing and just purchased MS again on the Mac, they deserve the money they get because they plugged a massive whole in C4D! No pun intended!!

I guess it did sound a little sour didnt it!

I guess I really should get back into Mesh Surgery…



sure i know bud.

its the only way independant dev can ensure that stuff isn’t copied all over the place if its locked into c4d serial number. unfortunately you found yourself in the one thing thats not covered by this method…the fact you may have to change your serial no…because you changed os…Its good and bad about MS…good we get some of the functionality of MS in c4d…bad as maxon may have killed the goose that laid the golden egg so to speak. Its pretty tough being a plugin dev for c4d if you wanna make money as the userbase is nothing like something like max. So they all need encouraging onto bigger and better stuff for us c4d users so by buying the plugin twice…just think of it as helping the development of MS2 cause…heh heh…every cloud has a silver lining.

if you get in on the machine you now use though and just mess around with it…because there is quite a bit under the cover thats still going to be of use to you day to day.:thumbsup:


This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.