Upgrade cost

I think with c4d there are a lot of ‘amateur/enthusiast and student’ users. This may have something to do with the availability of lesser versions and price. I was a pro when I purchased XL5 and price never came into it. £405 for a .5 upgrade is getting to be more than most might expect, but I think one forgets what you get for the money what with all those extra modules. You could argue that these features should be part of the core app- if you purchased them seperately they’d add upto at least £1500. I never included dynamics, SH or the toon thingy.

If you look at XSI and Maya, both apps have been largely developed ages ago, whereas c4d being a new app relatively speaking is in need of cash influx to pay for development which has only just occurred in the past year. Maxon has probably never had the cash influx that both Maya and Softimage must have had in their ulta expensive era.

For a freelance or pro c4d certainly isn’t expensive, but its obvious that Maxon are riding the crest of a wave now that the app is perceived more as a professional tool, (with BP in mind) rather than a mid range app.

c4d still doesn’t have nurbs modelling and so there’s still the added expense of using a third party app like Rhino. I think this does make c4d a bit on the pricy side compared to other apps in the current climate of ‘desperation’

That was a complete illusion :twisted:

Err… Maxon is a German company…

Wrong!
Where did you see that the “standard” would be 2560.- ?
There is no standard, but there is minimum, and minimum is below your standard.

minimum, according to most swiss syndicate, is around 3000.- swiss franks. But i agree this is more official numbers than reality (more around 2000.- IMO)

That was a complete illusion

pour une fois qu’on nous passe de la pommade… :smiley:

yeah i know that…if your point is that germans shouldn’t have to pay more for a language pack then i’d agree with you…but it still doesn’t get around my comment there is only one english version the US version…no queens english UK… so surely my costs associated with programming for the UK or US should be inline with each other was my point.:stuck_out_tongue:
and it would seem some of its programmed in the uk also.

Big ABBA fan then, mecha?

the legal minimum is 1210 .- chfrs a month … witch is quite ridiculous

Er, that sounds a bit UK-ish, I think our minimum wage is actually higher (not that all employers stick to it of course). I see I may have to retract my earlier statement about your average wage being higher than in the UK :slight_smile:
Boxy

Every other company are making it cheaper to upgrade their products, or buy the full programme. Maxon decide to put a hundred percent increase on the upgrade to C4D R9 compared to the upgrade to 8.5. The logic to this makes me want to puke. I really like C4D but I cant stand a company that just takes the piss out of it’s customers.
I’m going back to saving up for Maya, or XSI is looking tempting.

Alias and Soft also have far higher costs; for a long time the Maya development team consisted of over 200 people, while Maxon’s core development team has been under 10 (I think it was around 4 for the core development effort).

There’s been a lot of people talking about switching to Maya but I switched from Maya to C4D. The main reason I switched was for the ease of use but another big consideration was/is Alias’ pricing structure vs Maxon’s. When I bought a new Mac I found out Alias wanted $150.00 U.S. to transfer the license. When I bought C4D I wanted to sell Maya but I found out I can’t, Alias won’t let me. In contrast, to move C4D to my new computer, I copied the files over and entered the serial number.

C4d’s pricing structure is wonderful compared to Alias’ hideous gouging. I wanted to buy Motion Builder but now that Alias owns it, I won’t touch it due to their pricing policies. You don’t own Maya, you rent it.

Just trying to add some perspective… :stuck_out_tongue:

:applause: Not really, but I like Abba more than Maxon right now!!

I dislike paying money needlessly just like the next man but…
The R8->R8.5 didn’t give you that much, SSS, texture layering, and some tidbits.
R8.5->R9 seem like a whole new ballgame (as any full number upgrades should be)
I don’t have the Swedish prices yet but if the upgrade is about twice the R8->R8.5 I’d be happy (except going 8.5->9 should be cheaper than 8.0->9 as a general principle).

I pay for C4D with taxed money, Swedish evil 25% VAT and all for the sheer pleasure of doodling around on my free time. MotionBuilder and Maya at work but who needs 'em?

(I feel my skin harden as my flame proof asbestos-nanites kick in)

My issue isn’t so much with the “price” as the “policy.”

I see the US price for the studio bundle as $595 for the upgrade and $300 more for S&T - for a total of $895.

If Maxon said that the Studio bundle was always going to cost $895 to upgrade from full version to full version (ie. 8-9 or 9-10) and that price stayed the same regardless of how many modules were added…then I would be ok.

If I didn’t purchase the new modules I would not have keys for them and would still have to pay for them if I needed or wanted them.

The problem is it’s an unknown at this point…if they add 2 new modules this year that I don’t need - will I be paying $1295 to upgrade next year? what if they add 3? 4?

If I have no use for them I should not have to pay for them. Period. Maxon chose the module approach…

That said - Srek stated he did not believe the S&T purchase was required to upgrade. That’s not the impression I’ve gotten so far…but I have an inquiry out to Rafi to confirm.

What is the US price for R8 to R9 XL Bundle?

My previous post was all wrong as I just got the prices from Maxon:
About 4 times the cost to go R8 to R9 (instead of the more reasonable twice the cost)
NO rebate of any kind for upgrading to R8.5, I upgraded at the end of June with no mention of me being ahem “colonally stimulated” for the R9. Had I known about the R9 pricing I shure as hell wouldn’t have uppgraded.
All serial plugs needing upgrades seem utterly uncool too.
Bye Maxon, hello Alias for me (just need to dig up thos Maya manuals I’ve neglected)

I just recieved a pdf with price info from Programpaketet.To upgrade from
XL Bundle 8.x to XL Bundle 9 will be SEK 4.895
XL Bundle 8.x to Studio Bundle 9 will be SEK 14.595
Studio Bundle 8.x to Studio Bundle 9 will be SEK 7.350
AR 1 to AR 2 is SEK 1.695
Mocca 1 to Mocca 2 is SEK 2.895

The modules Pyrocluster, Think Particles, BodyPaint 2, Dynamics, Sketch & Toon and Net Render only needs new license numbers which will be free if ordered at the same time as the upgrade and at the latest on nov 30 2004.

/Casper

OK, I was expecting it to be more expensive than that actually. Good stuff.

I forgot to mention that the prices are without VAT/MwSt.

/Casper

Plus moms, nota bene…

As a swedish company I will pay circa €50 more than a UK or German company for a Studio+S&T upgrade. That is w/o deductable tax.
A swedish -private- buyer will most likely be the one in the world who pays the most
for R9. We have 25% VAT here…

Cheers
Lennart