TUTORIAL - Traditional Pencil Shading Technique - by Icey (NUDITY)

frumos bre, misto cum ai rotit/mixat imaginile alea :wink:

Iridyse - [font=Verdana]:slight_smile: Thank you! I’m glad you are still checking on my work! Your opinion always counts! Best wishes![/font]

Glen - Cheers, my friend!

Rebecca - [font=Verdana]I own you a lot for allowing me to show this! Thanks a million for the sticky and the major backup! I’ll show here some of my work and any further tutorials. [/font]

CyborgJA - hehehe Thank you!

Djampa - you should! Once you’ll get a certain level you’ll love it more than life itself! :slight_smile:

Ravmaster - There will be something new everytime! - at least i hope so :smiley:

botched - Me like it too! Thanks a lot!

edenceleste - I’m glad i did! I hope i have the same effect on others too. More to come…
deco-3d - Glad to be of any help! Cheers!

2100 - [color=white]I know what you’re talking about. I try to fallow that every time… I’ve used that around the eye sockets to show the bumping in volume as it grows towards the edge of the sockets, but I only use that in extreme situations because it takes more time. Otherwise a very soft, uniform hatching will do
You are absolutely right about pulling the drawing as a whole. Regarding this, I really think details are unimportant compared to the whole image. They are just that little extra you need :slight_smile: Thank you for this great remark! It is exactly the kind of reply I needed to hear! Cheers![/color]

Frejasphere - Thank you! I’ll show my portofolio work here too… just in case… Sorry if you have to see them twice…

Jadetiger - :smiley: Thanks! Bizarre is the kind of stuff i like!

OKMER - Doesn’t hurt to hear it again! :smiley: hehehe Thanks a lot!

Some other traditional stuff i have around here - Sorry for those who’ve seen them before.

Dominus - Mersi frumos! Ma bucur sa te vad pe aici :slight_smile: you’ve posted the same time i did. Glad you’ve dropped a word! Cheers!

The first one is the real drawing, the second one is the drawing inverted in photoshop - just a little expeiment i’ve tried

bravo machule, felicitari pentru plug, ce surpriza placuta sa vezi oameni de varsta ta in frontpage pe cgtalk. tine-o tot asa ca mergi bine!

Damn Icey! HUGE improvement since I last saw some of your stuff, you just keep improving unbelievable. I’m going to have to work much harder to catch up - you’re miles and miles ahead. Sweet stuff man, and congrats on becoming a mod over at SoFA!

Kudos mate, hope to see more tuts - this one was great!
ciao!

• d.

hey!!! i cant see any images in between lines of ur tutorial! something should be wrong with me,i see no one has the same problem!
can u post the addresses?
Regards,
aLI

aliasali,

This may be due to nudity filters / controls in your country - I can see the images fine, but if anyone else also has a problem seeing the images, please let me know. :slight_smile:

Icey, your work is astounding. Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge and for pleasing our eyes with those wonderful drawings!

I would love to see more!! :bounce:

All my respect

Bless :slight_smile:

I love the last one in the second post!!! do you use a *B pencil? or a HB?

That is awesome. Thanks again for sharing!

[color=white]infamae - Thanks a lot! Glad to see romanians browsing this forum. Aa… o kestie mica - mi-ai zis machu crezand ca sunt Machu de pe VA?.. Sau chiar stii ce varsta am? :slight_smile: Cheers!

demented - Thanks d! You’re on a great road yourself! I’m happy to be a moderator on SOFA… It is such a great place to learn a lot of things. Best wishes, bro!

aliasali - I’m sorry about this problem… I hope you’ve managed to see them. If not, just PM me and i’ll send you the links to the images.

Blessing - Thank you! I will post more - just have to take the time to start a new tutorial… Glad to be of any help!

Ravmaster - I’ve used mechanical pencils - a 0.7 HB (or B
not quite sure) and a 0.5 2B - for blacker areas

neeko - Thanks a lot! I’m flattered to see you have your first post in my thread!

[/color]
Hope i’ll be back soon with another tutorial. Thank you all for taking the time to check my thread! Feel free to ask any questions!

Icey

Man that was an awesome insight on your process & workflow; Short and sweet yet chock full of information. :slight_smile:
I will most definately show this to show my students next lecture!

Great addition to the community

Beautiful pencil work! Thank you for sharing your techniques! Looking at your work makes me want to dig up dust off my pencils. I look forward to your next tutorial! :slight_smile:

Wow. This is the kind of level I hope to get to someday. Thanks for putting up the walkthrough. I’ll study it some more and see if I can apply it to my own stuff.

Icey

that’s a really great tut!

I have one remark though and I think it’s really important:

when drawing we are creating the illusion of placing a 3D subject on a 2D platform (paper, canvas, etc)…

Everything that is white (as in not shaded) can be concidered flat.
A really good drawing will have almost no or even no parts that are not shaded at all…

But maybe the lightest shades in your drawings you show here got lost in the scans (I know that is a problem I’m having myself), so forgive me for mentioning but I think everyone who reads the tutorial should realize this. It’s something that is often not mentioned because it seems so obvious…

Blacklion - i’m honoured to hear that. I’ll be back with something solid soon.

Aviva - thank you. You should do that! You should dust off your pencils because it’s a wonderful feeling using them

Asatira - hope you’ll find this stuff useful. If you work hard you’ll get even better, trust me!

NR43 - first of all thank you for dropping by! :slight_smile: You are giving me a hard time answering that! hmm… Well, you are quite right about that. But the human mind works pretty well with imagination. As you’ve said, everything is 2D, even the 3D models, even a photo. A white spot is as flat as a black spot, but artists have used this method of getting rid un unnecessary details and gaining impact by shading a lot of their shapes, just letting the brain figure the rest of it. And the truth is that the human mind does this thing pretty good!

Of course, everybody is free to do as they please. They don’t need to know that they have to shad everything so that the drawing won’t look flat. If they fallow this rule they’ll risk flatting the whole image, as I’ve done in the past. What they need is to find something that works for them. And I mean aesthetically first of all, so that they enjoy the result, understand the result and achieve what they had in mind.

I’ll be back soon with a new step/by/step -tutorial stuff…
thank you all!
Icey

Man great tutorial! i’ll have to practice this my self later!

Ok my first post and my first sketch on cgforum.
Reference image http://www.boneclones.com/BC-008.htm

[IMG]http://i22.tinypic.com/k18b9[/IMG]

click for particular

I don’t manipulate in psd because this pc is old, but i must clean up because all my sketch are dirty :stuck_out_tongue: i apologise for the scan and for my english.

scan in 600dpi.
All critics or comments are welcomes!

theblackmage - hello! Glad to heve inspired you. Drawing is a lot of fun! Use the advices, don’t copy the drawing :wink:

EKOes - Hello!
Welcome to this forum :slight_smile: I’m glad your first post is on this thread.
Your image is pretty good! Depth and sense of 3D space works just fine. More will come with practice.
What i can add to help is that the linework - the early sketch before shading - tells you a lot about the final drawing. You can try to vary the thickness of the line according to your light and shadow – thicker on the shaded areas – for example around eye sockets – and thinner on the lighted ones. Leaving this type of marks really helps you a lot in understanding the next step of the drawing better. You can try several line-drawings with no shading, see how it goes :slight_smile: All that matters is that you’re having fun – and trust me
it gets better and better the further you advance with your skills :wink:
One more thing
Just let your hand slide on the paper
let the hand do what the brain wants, and do not interfere in your thoughts
. With your thoughts. Don’t rush out for erasers if you done something wrong, but double and triple the line
The human brain chooses the shapes he finds best suitable with his taste, and that’s a huge advantage! So if you’re trying to draw a circle for example, don’t just use a single line, because you won’t get something round on a first try, but draw several ones and let the brain choose the right pass.

Cheers! Hope this helps you a little!

Icey

okay thanks for the help, my first problem is the material, unfortunately in italia i discover only low-medium material, finder prismacolor ecc is very very hard or impossible.
In this picture i made an error, i use a charcoal, task instead that the just road is to use matite various 6b 4b 2b H 2h 4h 6h, or not?
An other thing that I ask myself, in before or the second phase when I must set up the shadows I do not know if to outline them or to vanish them.
Ok thanks for the answer!