Turbulence.4D Fluid Simulation Public Beta

Having just gotten into C4D and having messed around with ParticleFlow and a bit of FumeFX in my 3DS Max days, I just wanted to say thanks for all of the tests people have posted in this thread. With some downtime coming up next month, I’m diving headlong into Turbulence and this thread has been a huge source of inspiration.

few more weeks ? :wink:

hey there…

I just downloaded the latest version. and I was looking for the manual that came with an older release
but there is none for the latest version ?? :surprised

I checked the Homepage but i can’t find anything :cry:

Hey there Tyler,

Some late-stage changes/improvements to TFD are pushing back the release of the recipes, but they are being worked on…

Booler,

The manual should be located under “Plugins/TurbulenceFD/TurbulenceFD Help”.

yes it should be there…but its not :banghead:

great, looking forward to the release :wink:

Hey guys,

Let me just say that TFD is awesome, and I’m very glad I don’t have to jump to Max/FumeFX just for this stuff. I’ve been working with TFD for a couple weeks now, and I have a couple quick (hopefully) questions.

Is there some way to get it to reuse a sim on one frame for another frame? or just hold the results of the last simmed frame? (I have a scene of clouds that I would be fine with the results of say frame 10 used on the rest of the animation, but I don’t know how to have it not sim the entire animation)

The other question I have is about larger scale sims (like a volcano etc)…how do you get finer detail within groups that are already swirling/etc?
It’s like I need another step beyond the sub-grid detail. Like in these photos. The values I’ve played with just seem to shred the cloud groups instead of adding swirling details. Is this where the volume texture can help? (I’ve tried playing with that, but I haven’t noticed any real change)

“Is there some way to get it to reuse a sim on one frame for another frame? or just hold the results of the last simmed frame? (I have a scene of clouds that I would be fine with the results of say frame 10 used on the rest of the animation, but I don’t know how to have it not sim the entire animation)”

Check the render tab. This is what frame offset and frame step is for. I did this very same thing for a cloud fly through using one sim. Also you will need to use the render transform to move your sims. You can put them under a null then move the null. Then put that null in the render transform tab.

For your second question play with turbulence settings smalles size/largest size and also looking into using up-res’ing in addition to sub-grid detail.

Edit: Yes, the volume texture can play an important role too for establishing the looks of the fluid.

CHeers,
Josh

Just downloaded the newest version of TFD for Cinema after seeing that GPU-enabled sims have been added and my jaw has dropped.

I have no idea what I’m doing as it’s the first time I’ve played with the plug-in, so I fired up the first example file I could find. Tried out the CPU based sim on simple_explosion.c4d and it took about 13 minutes to finish on my 3 year old desktop. After switching to GPU-based sim to take advantage of my new GTX 580 the sim time was down to an astounding 1 minute and 2 seconds!

This not only obviously helps out those of you are already wizard with T4D, but for novices like me, the amount of iterations I can crank through while learning settings and workflow has increased 10 fold.

Huge congratulations go out to Jawset for this awesome new release.

still no helpfile within the demo zip ?
i’d realy like to read about the new options…what they exactly do :scream:

http://help.jawset.com/en/c4d

Do we take it that last years Apple issue Radeon cards in the Mac Pro are not GPU supported?

thank you I just found it myself a minute ago :beer:

oh man i can’t use my gtx460 for simulation ? :argh:

i hope its because i still have 275.33 drivers installed :lightbulb

I think the 460 should be supported, it’s CUDA compatible.

Loving the speed boost, just want more RAM on the card to enable larger sims :slight_smile:

It’s CUDA based so nvidia only at the moment.

cheers
brasc

gtx460 on 285.62 is fine

yeah already playing around with it :thumbsup:

Will we see a OpenCL version?

Really incredible being able to harness GPU power. I hope more developers implement this as well!

I would flip my lid if Trapcode Particular could have similar functionality.

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.