Travis Bourbeau _ My project for Jason Martins Class.

Working through Jason Martins Class this month with 5 weeks to go. I rarely get more than 20 to 3o minutes a day to work on this but it’s important to get feedback for the things he has an expert Eye at helping me with. I will share some before and afters here and if you are interested in his class I think it breaks down to 60$ a week and is definitely worth it.

Feel free to jump in and give your 2 cents when things start looking weirder on this guy in the coming weeks.

https://3d.cgmasteracademy.com/programs/demo-reel-workshops/ link to some of the classes if you are interested.

Nice thread Travis, I just posted up my project for Jason Martin’s class too :slight_smile:

I really like the way you are able to differentiate textures and materials just by looking at your sculpt.
I also love the variety in your teeth, reminds me I should look over that paper on mammalian teeth again before I add teeth to my creature.

I think the interesting creature head is a great start and nice caption. Only 30 minutes for working out the sculpt sounds pretty tough. Hope your schedule allows for more time to give to this project.

Ha! Looks awesome! And mean. Really digging shapes on this one.

Great work Travis, I like the way it’s going … love the design in the face, the teeth looking forward to see the final result :smiley:

Are you going to render this model in an engine like vray, arnold or something?

Been way to busy and chaotic but like everyone else ill submit my monstrosities later next week haha thanks for the feedback

Got to busy to finish my creature from Jason Martins Class but starting again with Hannah Kang

Here is 3 days in to my Centaur Characters< Hannah is fast as hell so its been cool to get further than I usually do.

My goal is to create 2 to 3 characters that fit in a world that’s somewhere between never ending story and Harry Potter. One skinny and fun. One athletic and serious. And the last a leader and wise. I’m usually pretty sloppy with brush strokes as you can see from the color sketched skinny one. Hannah’s method is clean all the way and always concentrating on keeping the forms which is helping a lot. I’ll post up a pick at the end of the week when im done with blocking in, cleaning up, and finishing the base to move on to the next set of forms.

Using a DEER a Kudu and Horse for the 3 character types, Just throwing a 5 minute color, or pattern rather, on the skinny one to decide on proportions and see how it effects the break up before cleaning up the model and starting on anatomy. Building out the face to get character for the ram and a thicker athletic body

If you would like to jump in to her class with me there are 4 seats availible for August 5th you can find the class here. https://www.cgmasteracademy.com/courses/109-stylized-character-creation-from-cartoon-to-comic-realism The class covers finding a focus and sticking with it from realistic to feature animation and includes heavy feedback with a class cap at 12 students for model overs. I will be posting my progress here as well

Real nice work dude

Thanks Connor you need a sketchbook to share what you are up to. If i finished these lets do a shot together;)

You’re on! I’ll hold you to that :smiley: I’ve got a sketchbook on to go too, I’m trying to update it more regularly.

Day 4’s work with Hannah.

Working on proportions, blocking in the torso and arms and changing up the horn design.

Need to add in the hands then work on cleaning up the first forms.

Day 4 WIP 2

Hey mate!

Cool to see the progress! :slight_smile: looking really good!

I would love to see the centaur with the update that Gareth suggested and if you could take a try on bending the characters spine backwards that would help the overall profile. I know you might do this later at a t-pose state, but it would help to see the silhouette and the overall design, I think.

The creature: If you pulled the eyes a bit further up and gave it some more volume and structural support around them that would make them more believable and more of a focus point.
In the front of the mouth/face area, try to pull it up with the move tool like a salmon. Check out some refs of the front of the head of them : )

Hope all is well!
Talk soon!

Einar

very nice Travis, are you going to render this guy with textures in the end or will be just a clay? keep it up man :smiley:

I would love to see the centaur with the update that Gareth suggested and if you could take a try on bending the characters spine backwards that would help the overall profile. I know you might do this later at a t-pose state, but it would help to see the silhouette and the overall design, I think.

Great Feedback Thanks Einar!

I like Gareths feedback. I.m trying to decide on a pose and will break symmetry at that point to make those changes. Theres a few diffrent bovine spine positions I want to try as you mention as well so I may end up with 3 to 4 body types a backward bend always has a nice shape to it.

The creature: If you pulled the eyes a bit further up and gave it some more volume and structural support around them that would make them more believable and more of a focus point.
In the front of the mouth/face area, try to pull it up with the move tool like a salmon. Check out some refs of the front of the head of them : )

Jasons Creature sketch would definitely benefit from a salmon jaw it ended up way more fish like due to wanting to get a feeling of a super wide sluggish head somewhere between salamander and frog almost. May make this guys a big dumpy cow or abandon him. was a fun experiment in mixing up teeth mostly :slight_smile:

Michael yeah I’m using these guys to help myself learn substance and try out megascans fur to see what I can do. Ive always just mostly sculpted and avoided rendering and textures but, I love vray and want to push something so Ill probably keep these designs pretty simple as that’s my focus.

Ii will revisit the hands though the idea there is a a little to simple LOL

just realized I might be responding to the wrong comment on spine.

I will most likely have the skinny figure leaning forward to hand something to a smaller character so that might be why it looks akward now. The larger female will have a chest up and out pose. I was refering more to spine postion of the deer body and will post some variations sketches on that later along with the male centuar.

Anyone have links to interesting createre eyes they want to share. I want to create an element of a bit wilder less domestic or intelligence as these will be less human more animal ie no white in the eyes