Torsos - Post Your Torso Studies - 2D / 3D TRADITIONAL AND DIGITAL

I agree with Ray. It´s really nice sketch Memling. Is this from life or photo?

thks

Raymi :
ball point pen is a very interesting tool with original effects
(we can obtain some photographic effects)
but its utilisation needs practice :

(1) the ball point of the pen should be used (corrupted) a little bit before drawing
for a slighter ink contact with paper
(for more details)
(2) the pen sould be maintained in +/- 45° (not vertically)
between 20° and 45° for better effects
and nuances
(3) the lines should have the same direction/orientation (diagonally) for a better contrast

Raptor3d:
yes, it’s a (old) study from life

I will post other drawings later

about ballpoint pen,
see my new post :

Though its not dynamic in form, i tried to create a new kind of anatomy for the body and tried to distinct it trough shading

This is drawn using an office pen during lunchbreak today, in a half hour or so:

just a study
from Michel-Angelo 's work (torso)

toshop trip :slight_smile:

Memling,

Beautiful work!!! It’s fabulous to see this work posted here! :slight_smile: Can’t wait to see more of your lovely drawings! :slight_smile:

Max4d,

Great work as well!!! It’s so cool to see the variety of work that people do! Keep on posting! :slight_smile:

augustus,

Wow, only 1/2 hour? Great stuff!!! Thanks for posting this! You’ll be excited to know that soon there will be a new “Open Figure Drawing Workshop” thread in which we will have photographs of models from which to draw. Many thanks to my friend Hong Ly for providing us with these excellent photographs which he has taken of professional models! :slight_smile:

Memling,

Another gorgeous drawing! :slight_smile:

el-vio,

Cool drawing! I would say to exaggerate MORE if you are really going to exaggerate things. Thanks for posting this, I hope to see more work from you! :slight_smile:

~Rebeccak

Thanks for the kind words, Rebecca. :slight_smile:

Hi Rebecca.
Thanks for comments.

Nobody else seems to be posting 3D torsos, so I hope I’m not misunderstanding the point of this thread.

Anyways, this is my Ultimate Fighter character from the WIP:3D Stills section, I just wanted to post some close-ups of his torso for c&c.

He’s modelled in Maya 6.0 from basic polygon shapes. The torso is made from two cylinders and two spheres (for his chest muscles). This is about two months of modeling work just pushing and pulling points and using the MJPolyTools plug-in for Maya (which is absolutely indispensible IMO for poly modeling).

Here’s the low-res cage, this is the mode that I work in:

The wireframe with one level of poly smooth:

And the render with raytraced shadows:

Back views:

Low-res cage:

1 level of poly smooth:

The render:

He’s intended to be about 5 feet 5 inches tall and about 300 pounds of muscle, so please keep that in mind when critiquing his proportions. :slight_smile:

Barada73,

Schweeet! Thanks for posting this! :thumbsup:

You’re also free to post here: 3D DIGITAL ARTISTS ~ either place works for me :slight_smile:

Good to see your work! :slight_smile:

~Rebeccak

Thanks! I had originally planned to post these images in the 3D Digital Artists thread; but since the opening post called for “Amazing 3D Artists” I thought that would be a little presumptuous of me considering that this is my first attempt at a 3D human body.

I’ll come up with some new renders to post over there. Thanks.
:slight_smile:

Here are some Torso studies from yesterday … I am just started to study all
these Anatomy Stuff in Deep, try to draw 3h a Day min. … works well for now :smiley:

Its a long way … here is something from the start :slight_smile:

Hi,
here is my older work (summer 2004 I guess) … everyone knows who he is, huh :slight_smile:
Nothing special. I want to do more drawings of gollum in future, because I think he´s really good character to capture, especially the face and face expressions … I look forward to moment when I will have skills to sculpt him from clay :slight_smile: but this won´t be soon …

pencil B
time: I don´t remember, many hours -> too slowly
this image is larger in real and looks better, I have a cheap scanner :slight_smile:

thanks for looking

raptor|3D,

I rather like this drawing of Gollum, as I think you’ve really captured a bit of his ‘life’ and certainly his emotional state very well! It has almost the quality of a print ~ do you like / are you interested in printmaking at all? I can imagine that you might do very well with inks and the like, or a simulation of such digitally. It may be something worth looking into. :slight_smile:

I particularly like the linework around his inner right arm ~ this is quite a beautiful, confident line and quite economically descriptive. This is something of the holy grail in Drawing ~ how to describe something with economy, grace, and power…I think this line is evidence of that kind of drawing ability.

I’d love to see more of your work ~ please post some when you get the chance! :slight_smile:

Cheers! :slight_smile:

~Rebeccak

Thank you, Rebecca!
I really appreciate your comments … it´s great for me to have such feedback from such amazing artist as you are.
wow - I didn´t know that about the linework around his inner right arm … thanks … your comment was also very informative, now I know how to try to draw linework

I have never done any printmaking yet, but I am interested now - sounds interesting, I don´t know about this technique at all. I will have to ask my teacher at drawing course and I could try it after I finish my first oil painting (landscape).
I would also be extremely thankful if you would give me some description of what exactly is this technique about, where to start, what to use … only small description - not tutorial … but only in case you have time for it. I think it would be helpful for others too. Thank you in advance.

>> I’d love to see more of your work ~ please post some when you get the chance! :slight_smile: <<
Thanks, you bet :). These forums are great, I´m really glad to have you here :slight_smile: When I´ll do any print and it will be good, I will post it …

have a nice day

-excuse my english -

raptor|3D,

Thanks so much, your comments are really kind! :slight_smile: I’m happy to be of any help that I can. :slight_smile:

With respect to printmaking, it is a rather old, involved craft which involves specialized training and equipment ~ I have taken a few classes, but I no longer have access to the rather large, messy, industrial equipment which it requires. But I will be happy to later try to find some really good examples of printmaking work which can inspire.

One artist who is a great printmaker is the artist Kathe Kollwitz. You can just google her name to find some really great images. Her art falls under the categorization of German Expressionist.

Thanks for your interest in my work! :slight_smile: You can see my portfolio on my website: www.rebeccakimmel.com. Hope you will enjoy it! :slight_smile:

Great to see your work! And your English is perfect. :wink:

Cheers, :slight_smile:

~Rebeccak

Study in Photoshop CS + Intuos3 Tablet, 30-40 Min.