Tone-mapping renders in Adobe's LightRoom

I want to be able to tone-map my 32-bit renders with LightRoom 2.

I find myself spending way to much time rendering and fiddling with preview functions to get exposure feedback from Mental Ray (specifically, I use mia_exposure).

Assuming the lighting is to scale, I’m curious if it would be effective to take a 32-bit render (without any tone-mapping treatment) into LightRoom2 and fine-tune the exposure in real-time.

The problem is, I don’t know how to open an .exr or .hdr file into LightRoom2. It only wants to read native camera formats. I searched around a bit for some sort of converter but have come up empty handed so far.

I figured you guys might be able to point me in the right direction. Any Ideas?

I wasn’t sure what forum to post this question in, but this looked most appropriate.

Thanks!

Ok, so after some experimenting it turns out all you have to do is save it as a .psd with a 16-bit depth. LightRoom will open that no problem with a high color depth intact.

16 bit isn’t HDR though. Could still be usefull to color correct in LightRoom, since it’s IMO way better than Photoshop. However AFAIK LightRoom doesn’t support HDR at all.

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.