Todd Grimes DVD ( what I made )

Richardo,
Have you tried contacting the dealer or desktop images directly to ask about a swap. Try sales or comments@ desktopimages.com to see if they can’t help out. Your missing out on some great tutorials. A shareware copy of WinDVD or PowerDVD should do the trick for watching them on your PC. You might even try Nvidia’s new DVD player if you have an Nvidia card.

I know I can watch them on a computer’s DVD… the only problem it’s I don’t have one yet. I’ll buy one after summer (or a DVD-writer). My homeDVD is able to read NTSC too, the problem is my tv, which isn’t.

I think it’ll take me longer to get a PAL copy (if it exists) than buying the DVD.

Thanks to you all anyway.

Odrakir.

Thanks for the tip Triple G, I’ll check it out. The odd thing is that I’m saving the renders as tga files, and the alpha ch doesn’t contain the cape. ( only pieces of it. ) Weird.

Para and Odrakir, you’ll really like the DVDs. Todd does a great job of explaining what he’s doing and why. :slight_smile:

Peter

Originally posted by ptaverner
The odd thing is that I’m saving the renders as tga files, and the alpha ch doesn’t contain the cape. ( only pieces of it. ) Weird.

Yup, sounds like a single-sided surface isssue. You could also add a little modeled thickness to the cape so that it actually physically has two sides.

Very cool. Thanks again Triple G! :slight_smile:

Peter

No problem. Glad to help. :beer:

Here’s a question: What do you guys think about this training DVD teaching with such stylized characters? If someone were just learning both the software and about proper anatomy, I would think this DVD would be a detriment to proper learning, because the proportions are so far off and teach a lot of bad habits. Is this the only style that Todd Grimes can do?

I think you may be right that if someone wasn’t familiar with the correct physical proportions and features of a real human body, bad habits could be picked up.

But I don’t think it was Todd’s intention to give an anatomy lesson with these DVDs. It’s up to the viewers to take it upon themselves to learn about things like skeletal structure, muscle groups and how they interact with each other, etc. While this is important information to know when you’re designing characters, it is also beyond the scope of these DVDs. No one should ever blindly follow one source of information and use that as their sole source of information. Todd presents a character with his own personal style, and while it may not be anatomically correct when compared to a “real” human, it is a visually exciting character IMO, and makes you want to learn how to do something like that. I think for what Todd has set out to do with these tutorials, he has done a very good job.

I agree with Triple G on this one. Todd does make mention of proper anatomy during the DVDs, so he does know what’s correct, and what’s not.
Having an understanding of proper anatomy will help you when designing your own characters, no doubt about that.
I myself want to continue along the path of stylized characters, so for me, these DVDs are working out well. I don’t have a strong desire to create perfect humans, but with the knowlage I have of basic human anatomy, my stylized characters will turn out much better. :slight_smile:

Peter

Originally posted by Shade01
Here’s a question: What do you guys think about this training DVD teaching with such stylized characters? If someone were just learning both the software and about proper anatomy, I would think this DVD would be a detriment to proper learning, because the proportions are so far off and teach a lot of bad habits. Is this the only style that Todd Grimes can do?

I completely disagree, the funny thing is that while I was watching and learning with these DVDs, I didn’t make any kind of humaniod character. I was applying his techniques directly to my deinonychus dinosaur. And man did it help out a lot, I mean a lot.

The fact is he HAS to be modelling some thing to demonstrte the techniques, what you do is your choice. Basically it can be applied to any organic model.

Rogue

Todd Grimes…Extremely profession and dependable…unlike other unmentionables…his dvd’s are great and priceless for anyone trying to get into animaiton…i’d say they were even more intermediate to advanced…great though…:slight_smile:

YES YES!!

Hopefully l be getting these soon:)

I’ve got a complete set I am about to post on ebay if anyone is interested email me privately. rob@robpowers.com

Here’s where I left off. I haven’t worked on this guy for a while…

a little animation test…

http://www.petertaverner.com/posts/lw/ptaverner-test-scum.htm

same audio file with a little body movement. You can see the body movement isn’t all that good. I do have the body animation DVD, but I jumped the gun and went ahead on my own. :frowning: Looks like I’m going to be viewing the DVD pretty soon huh??? Here’s the link…

http://www.petertaverner.com/posts/lw/ptaverner-test-scum-body.htm

I found these DVDs very very good. Todd does a GREAT job of explaning what he’s doing and why. I’m a newbie LW user and these helped me create something cool in a short amount of time.

As far as the DVDs helping a newbie learn LW, I think there would be better learning tools/books out there. These DVDs are great, no doubt, but they’re not about teaching you LW from square one.

Peter

Originally posted by Shade01

I havent seen Grimes DVD´s, but im a FAN of he´s 3d work by a long time.

If someone is using the DVD´s to learn the software, yes i think someone will learn it very well, not only we learn what tools to use, but we also learn on how to use them.

Regardding the fact that this is a exagerated proportions of a cartoon super hero, so what? Yes we can learn anatomy just by modeling this, in fact sometimes when i want to achieve something real i skecth an exageration before, why? it helps me to undersatnd and feel the form better, maybe it´s only me, but it actually helps me. Of course that if anyone wants to learn “proper” anatomy, that same someone must not only be confined to what he see´s in those DVD´s, there are books out there, there are cameras to take pictures, and there are art classes.

About “this is the only style that he ca do” even if it is (wich i doubt) isn´t he entitled to make art on whatever style he wants? It´s not nice and good art because it´s not realistic?

Do you read comic books? How many “realistisc” artist´s are drawing them? Take a real close look to what Jim Lee and a LOT others do, if that is realist…well, not in my book it isn´t, it may appear realistic, but the proportions are completly off, super exagerated, all muscles and veins showing like they where naked and in tension all the time, even though they have cloths or spandex suits on them. But still, some of those drawing styles are extremly apelative and look really nice and cool. If u have a chance, go to a Comic Book convention, talk with some of those artist, 50-60% of them will tell u that they never had extensive Nude Figure classes in their lives, and most of them learned how to draw by copying others, and copying others “mistakes”.

Drawing/Modeling realistic should not be what makes a good artist, of course someone who can draw/model realistic stuff is an incredible gifted artist, but that should not be what only counts. No matter what style u choose to make your art, consistency and making things beliavable are required, just look at Simon Bisley artwork, it´s not realist at all, but it is beliavable. Alex Ross art is impressive, realist and beliavable, Jean “Moebius” Giroud has 2 distinct styles, a more realist one when he draws as Jean Giroud, and a more cartoony when he signs as Moebius, i love both of them. Does it really matters that much to be so “realistic”? I dont think so, but this is only my opinions :slight_smile:

oh my god, those examples are brillant, how long did it take you to learn that with those DVDs??. Can’t wait!!

I always wrack my brain when modeling heads, and this 1st DVD made my jaw drop. I have used everything from Spline modeling to box modeling and never was quite satisfied with the results.

I recieved my DVD’s yesterday and can definately say right now that his techniques have opened my eyes up to allot more possibilities. So far from what I have viewed the course, it is very well structured and open ended. I don’t know that I would suggest it for beginners, but for Lightwavers with moderate skills and above, they should look into this set.

As for the stylized vs. realistic models, I was a little reserved about the “Toon” look. However now, I would say that Todds methods could easily be tuned to meet more exacting figures with a nominal amount of work. As long as someone has access to photo or drawn refferences, I can not see how these techniques could not be applied.

:thumbsup:

richcz3

Great stuff, to be honest I’m a beginner but no doubt l be able to learn how to model well especially during the short time l have to make a small animatin feature for my project. l was thinking along the same lines, that the DVDs would equip you skills so you could basically apply it to anything you wish to model or make

Yakumo: With these DVDs you will end up creating a character very similar to Todds. I tried to make mine look a little different. ( bags under the eyes, etc )
You’ll really like the DVDs. Todd does a great job!

Peter

@Sil3- This thread is months old and so is my question, and that’s all it was was a question. You seem awfully defensive about it for some reason.