Todd Grimes DVD ( what I made )

I just finished the 3rd Todd Grimes DVD on Character modeling and animation.

The next DVD deals with Facial Animation, so this guy will look a lot better with something other than a blank stare on his face.

Anyway, here are the results so far. I just called him generic Man for now. I’ll come up with a better name for him later on. :slight_smile:

Peter

Very good job… I have those dvds as well…

How do you like them?!

I’m a total newbie in Lightwave, so I thought this would be a good way to learn some of the tools.

looks great, I have them as well, and there great.

nice super guy:beer:

Thanks for the feedback guys. :slight_smile:

I have a question… I used the bones to move the cape around, and as you can see by the renders, the cape isn’t showing up completely. Is this because of lighting? ( Like I say, I’m new to LW, so I’m a bit puzzled as to why the cape isn’t there.)

In layout the cape only displays from behind. From the other views, all I see are the bones, and a hint of the cape. That may be due to my machine, or is there something I’m missing in the settings?

Any help with this would be great! Thanks. :slight_smile:
Peter

couple of things.

if its a single poly, you can set surafces to ‘double sided’, single side by default are invbisible on the other side.

but it does look like it shows in one of the pics, so I say, either up
the luminosity on the cape, or you can set another light, for just the cape, you can set in properties, to exclude objects such as the character. for a little tweaking.

hope it helps.

Great, thanks roguenroll! That helps a lot!
I was using Max prior to LW, so what you say makes sense, I’m still learning what LW can and cannot do, and where everything is. :slight_smile:

Thanks again for the speedy reply
Peter

I hear ya, I’ve been learning Maya. Many things are the same, but many aren’t.:slight_smile:

oh yeah did you get the Lightwave VTM at http://www.3dbuzz.com/

its great to learn the UI and get a handle on the basics.

its free

very nice

question? Where can I buy the Todd Grimes DVD?

thanks

Todd Grimes DVDs - www.desktopimages.com

^^
thanks

Don’t forget to check EBay for the DVDs. That’s where I got mine. :slight_smile:

I did get the LW VTMs from BUZZ. I already knew what was on them. I’m looking forward to newer VTMs form BUZZ, but by the time they come out I’ll probably already know what’s on them. :frowning:

The Todd Grimes DVDs are worth the cost. Todd does a GREAT job of explaining what he’s doing and why. Not just another click here, now here, do this, sort of thing.

If Todd were to put out another set of DVDs, I’d buy those also.

Thanks for the comments guys. :slight_smile:

Peter

Peter,

As for your question about the cape, it looks like you just need to make the surface double-sided. Go into the Surface Editor, and select your cape’s surface check the box down at the bottom where it says “double-sided”.

If that’s not it, then it could be just a matter of lighting, and the cast shadows from your character getting in the way. Try rendering over a background color other than black. That should give you an idea of what’s going on.

BTW, the character looks great! Owlman’s brother, perhaps? I think Todd would be proud. :thumbsup:

Looking good :thumbsup:

Can’t wait to get my own DVD’s…why it can’t be wednesday already?

I bought those DVD with my Lightwave 7.5 Summer deal. I got them from a reseller here in Spain, but they are NTSC and I can’t watch them… very intelligent for them or whoever distributes them in europe. :annoyed:

Odrakir.

Hey Odrakir,

you can buy an NTSC compatible codefree DVD player :wink:

Ciao, Robert

hey! great idea man!! you give me the money and I’ll go and buy it! :rolleyes:

Odrakir.

Are software dvd players like windvd able to play NTSC? I`m not sure:shrug:, but if they are, you could buy a low priced dvd drive instead of an expensive stand alone player.

Yes, software players such as WinDVD and PowerDVD are capable of playing NTSC, PAL and even some non-standards.