THREE D

Hello, I created this image as a means to show traditional car photographers the power of 3D computer graphics. It was meant to prove that it would be very hard to produce with photography and/or photoshop.

I used Maya’s deformers in order to twist the shape. Unfortunately the polygon mesh broke up quite a bit during this process and so I used photoshop in order to clean up some of the car body where it twists.

I enjoyed creating it and found it quite therapeutic to create a ‘twisted’ form of reality.

Great idea ,love it,nicely done.

LOL – nicely done :slight_smile: a good concept.

Mark.

I have been quite facinated by the rendered image…
How do you achieve such a realistic look of render?!
I meant, you use HDRI? or what kind of techniques?
It will be a happiest day if you tell the world how you do such a good job :slight_smile:

Hi Bryan, yes it does use HDRI for lighting and reflections. I used a physically accurate unbiased renderer called ART, which has physically accurate materials such as car paint and glass. There is not much to it to be honest. The mistake I made was not to white balance the HDRI and so the car looks very beige when in fact it was supposed to be silver! :argh:
oh well.

Thanks for the comments,
lee

I never heard of ART render.
Can you explain it in mor details for specific area of your technique?

Can you explain it in mor details for specific area of your technique?

sorry I dont really understand what you want to know? could you be more specific?

cheers,
lee

Let me tell you what I know.

I know:
how to model your car, i know mental ray, i know software render, I know maya.
But I dont know ART renderer, and I dont know mental ray advanced usage like writing shaders.

But I dont know ART renderer, and I dont know mental ray advanced usage like writing shaders.

I think the website will explain things a little better - www.artvps.com

Sorry, I cant help you with writing shaders.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Thanks.

very cool! love the concept and it looks great! It looks real but of course it isnt!! Love it!

Daly called, he wants his car back (I had to)

Really cool car and idea

I like the concept! Great idea and good render! The aberrations are to strong for me, but that’s not a problem :slight_smile:

Wooooooow

Great Idea… :slight_smile:

I really like it.

Wooooooow

Great Idea… :slight_smile:

I really like it.

I see it is on artvps automotive galery. Doesn’t it objects one of the rules?

Cool image and nice idea.
Keep it up.

great work Brian! you made your point regarding the limitations of photoshop, but I can’t see the abstract approach in this image even so this car twisting is not possible in reality. This looks more like surrealism.

cool… is it twisted or amazing?

this is something that can’t exist in our reality.
great!