"This thread has been automatically closed"

I keep hitting Google search results to this page where somebody asks a question, nobody has an answer, and at the bottom it says:

“This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.”

I’m sure this is well-intentioned, but it’s a terrible thing to do. It means that everybody who ever clicks a search result and lands on that thread will have the same experience: reading the question, finding that there isn’t actually an answer, and grumbling at the waste of time.

Leave questions open. There have been countless cases where I’ve hit that, then found the answer with further research, and wanted to post the answer to the thread for the next person who searches their way there, but been unable to.

The most important feature of open forums is for the countless future people with the same problem–not just the one random person who happened to ask the question–so being able to add answers is still vital, even if it’s an old post and the original poster no longer cares.

This was installed when necroposting got out of hand. People would post unrelated stuff in ages old threads, thereby cluttering the currently active topics.
If you think you have useful information to add, please don’t hesitate to create a new thread on that topic, link to the old question and post your solutions.
Cheers
Björn

That doesn’t help–people searching their way to the original post (which is where search engines are landing, at least enough that I got there in the first place) won’t see it. It also seems strange to post an answer as a new topic rather than as a response to somebody asking, even if the question is old (strange enough that I’m more likely to not post at all).

Anyway, just be aware of the result of this: less information for people reading the forums, and a greater number of useless threads that people have to wade through.