THE XSI v7 Thread

I’d be very surprised if you would need nodes that are missing and they could be scripted :slight_smile:

The node library differs from other softwares that have a similar approach as it’s incredibly atomic.
High level functionalities are provided out of the box in the form of compounds, but the real strength of the system lies in the fact that very low level nodes are available that effectively allow to wire a graph like you were scripting (down to things like case, ifs, etc).

Even if you wanted to script that to keep it compact you’d do harm to yourself, since the performance of something interpreted like that would be a fraction (in the hundredths) of what the equivalent graph’s performance.

Compounding and the way wiring works allows to build things like you were scripting anyway.

So, any possibility of passing data from ICE to your own custom geometry ops? I’m curious how much of s closed system this is with regards to the non-ICE parts of XSI.
How well is ICE exposed in the SDK?

Cheers.

whoa… i’ve been praying for ages for Linux84 bit. Thanx Softimage.

Anyway, questions;

1. Anything on old scenes conversion to version 7?

2. what about the new SDK? Anything major if to run old scripts/plugins on the new version 7?

3. what about version 7 performance on ATI cards (both Windows and Linux)? ATI has good drivers now on both platforms. Any particular glitch like the previous versions of XSI and ATI drivers?

4. Is there any images out there that can illustrate differences between old FG and the new FG? May be a comparison between FG and importons too (image, render time, etc)?

i cant remember what more to ask. Hehehhe… got to check more info before throw other questions.

TIA.

ICE has its own SDK to write nodes, and on top of that what you do in it will end up in an hierarchically represented operator inside the stack.
So if you modify a pointcloud you can simply read it after the ICE op to pull whatever you did in the graph.

There are also facilities to build and manipulate arrays inside ICE (which is pretty damn awesome), and quite a few things can be passed out to the execute ports.

The open nature of the system also allows you to be creative.
Nothing prevents you from building double the points, not using half of them, and using their position, velocity or whatnot to store data to read outside.

It takes some lateral thinking to get everything out of a first incarnation, but it’s actually surprisingly malleable.

Thanks for your insights.

Mine all loaded fine. Even the old particle system is still there for retrocompatibility, help people transitioning or just for some quick and dirty stuff.

1. what about the new SDK? Anything major if to run old scripts/plugins on the new version 7?

There is some new stuff but nothing has been radically changed.
Most things should work pretty much out of the box, and there are ways to make sure a plugin will work on both 6.x and 7.
Of course it’s hard to tell if the extent of this is total before the baby hits the userbase, but so far so good.

1. what about version 7 performance on ATI cards (both Windows and Linux)? ATI has good drivers now on both platforms. Any particular glitch like the previous versions of XSI and ATI drivers?

Given my experience on softwares other than XSI I’d venture that ATI still has a fair few issues.
I know there is stuff they admitted to being their fault that is supposed to come out in a driver release any day now, but that’s the whole of it.
Pretty much everybody around uses nvidia or went back to it after a few weeks of ATI, so there wasn’t much noise about it because people are still trying to stay away from the platform.

1. Is there any images out there that can illustrate differences between old FG and the new FG? May be a comparison between FG and importons too (image, render time, etc)?

Not much around yet that I’ve seen, and you have to bear in mind part of that (importons and all) is borderline experimental features even on MRay’s side. Regardless of Soft’s work on it I’d be careful adopting it too soon in production.
Some other things rendering wise though are a whole damn lot faster.
From the new acceleration structures to AO etc.

That is all MI stuff though. Soft seems to have dared implementing a bit more this release because users seem to want the latest MRay feature even when it’s not exactly production worthy, so the curious will be happy, but I’d be careful trusting too much in MI :slight_smile:

Are the new particle volume shaders the BaVolume particle shaders (version 3?) as rumored months ago.

Phil

Pretty much yes.
If you liked BA (and people would be crazy not to) you’ll be pretty impressed by how it’s been updated and implemented.

I apologize if this has been asked already, but my questions are from a modeler/texture artist perspective. Does XSI 7 have much in store for modelers? I’m not 100% able to understand what ICE is exactly, but does this mean we’ll being seeing a lot of node based modeling tools from the community? Is this why Softimage isn’t releasing much new in that regard? Also is the multi-threading speed related to viewport performance? It would be nice to have added speed for my real-time modeling needs. Thanks for taking the time to answer, but needs in XSI are probably more limited as apposed to other users out there, but I think it’s modeling and UVing architecture is incredible so I am hoping to see improvements in that area.

for what i can say importons are production-ready, those were implemented more then a year ago (mental ray 3.6.0.3)
the experimental feature is the Irradiance Particles (3.6.50.8), but this is also the most interesting feature in the GI bag…
is it possible to see the interface of Importons/IP or it’s still under NDA? Nothing about the release notes?

thanx

mat

hi … wow … i saw it on the website and it is the most impressive release of a 3d software to date IMVHO … I mean n cloth was innovative but it did not wow me.

What i need to know, although i think XSI character animation tools are on top of the game … are there any improvements aor additional features to what was in 6.5. I guess that ICE would allow for easier muscle simulation.

WOW WOW WOW …

wow

Sounds hella powerful I must say! :buttrock:

I’m glad I bought into v6.02 ESS since I hear Foundation is not being carried forward!

Unfortunately being a hobbyist, I couldn’t afford to get maintainance along with my upgrade to v6 ESS. :blush:

What do I do at this point? Do I (can I) get maintainance at this point (which will carry me to v6.5 -> v7) OR is there is there an upgrade path for my situation?

-Will

Is there anything new on UV unwrapping in XSI 7?

Is there anything new on UV unwrapping in XSI 7?

I couldn’t see anything. (you know about Roadkill ?)

Hi Pooby,

Yes I use Roadkill from time to time, but I still find PLG uv tools for Lightwave to give better results. Roadkill always distorts my models more on one side, even if it’s symmetrical

Yes as well on the UV mapping. I have been waiting and praying for some enhancements here … the ability to select seams and cut and then unfold. I appreciate programs like unfold3d and uvlayout exist, but I was hoping that soft would finally incorporate some type of unfold mapping into 7.0 with the ability to pin and stretch etc… did anyone notice if this was added?

Thanks,

Don.

The only thing I can see is the ability to edit multiple uv maps at one time, which is a small but useful change. Given the amount of work that’s gone into ICE I think I can forgive relatively minor progress in other areas :wink:

Will - there is a thread over on xsibase discussing upgrade paths. Drop en email to your re-seller, but the price that’s been quoted to upgrade from foundation to essentials is pretty amazing, I would think essentials users would get the same deal (I hope, as I’m also looking to upgrade!)

I thought Unfold3d would be integrated in v7?
I’ve noticed new construction modes from the images
so there are news besides that there is no news about them.
Let’s wait for the full new features list.
cheers!

Is mainwin gone yet? If not when will it be disappearing?

After watching the ICE vignettes, will it now be possible to do cloth on cloth collisions with this new architecture…especially when used with syflex?