The Still Evening

Solitude is a personal emotion. I vividly remember a comment made by musician Jeff Golub in Naked City that there is nothing like being in a city (New York) with X-million people looking down on you and feeling totally alone.

To me, any graphic representation of “solitude” needs to have the camera positioned very close to the subject. It doesn’t need to strive for “photorealism.” In fact it probably shouldn’t.

nachofrades,

they said “no fanboy posting”, so i’m gonna pretend i’m giving a real crit here :wink:
(but i’m absolutely in love with your artwork)

i like the idea you’re expressing solitude over several different works. As a subject which can be taken in different lights, I think If these were my works (oh of these were my works!!) I would keep them thematically similar…
IE the last one (the orphan) has a boy experiencing solitude in one possible way… the first might have an anatomically similar stylised girl’s shadow cast on the wall… and the tower, perhaps someone sitting reflecting - and perhaps a little melancholic from atop (but styled the same… a series)

they are fantastic as they are, but if you have your heart set on conveying the strict notion of “solitude” i might look into including the subject in such a way…

lachlan

Hello paraplex, thanks for your words.

The ones that include a figure or a shadow are for me rare exceptions, because the goal I want to reach is that YOU (the one that is looking the canvas) is the one wich is in the scene, and you in that place surely feel solitude, it´s the meaning of the figure lack, the figure, the shadow in the wall, all what you want… is not neccesary if you can feel inside the picture.

Hi!
I like all your pictures, and I read a lot of interresting opinions about those, For me the first is the best to express solitude, despite of the strange perspective of the image. I tell you why: when I looked at it I had 2 impressions: 1. it is sunset, the lightpost (a person) is alone, and soon it will be in total darkness, and maybe theres noone to turn him on (to bring him home). Second feeling, is that the sun going down, and slightly coming closer to us, so the shadow of the wall going to catch the lamp. So the image for me is expressing that the darkness is coming. This is why I like more than the others.
Cheers,

I see solitude in the first image thus:
The object experiencing solitude (to me at least) is the lamp post.
The lamp post is itself a light emiting object, and it’s being singled out in this painting, the shadow of a single lamp post being cast by the bright light of what appears to be the setting sun (colour of the wall on the left and the long, shallow shadows imply this).
The sunlight is of a similar nature to the lamp in that they both emit light, but yet it’s not, because the lamp provides light, when the sun is down. Even so, after the sun sets, this lamp post will be alone, casting it’s light in to an open space (There are no other shadows near this lamp post, so one must assume that it is alone, in a vast open space, for the setting sun to be casting such a shadow on the wall to the left)
The colour of the shadow itself in contrast to the colour of the sun hitting the wall, sets it apart from the middle ground of the painting, but ties it with the foreground. The foreground of the painting ties the alley and the lampost together. The shadows in the ally, are where this lampost should be.
This lampost is alone, in solitude. Maybe it won’t be alone when the sun sets, and it can spead it’s light and joy across the courtyard, and into the alley, where it can reach in and play it’s light against the brick walls in the alley, as the sun does at the present time in this painting.

/ramble

Very great painting, conveys solitude to me.

The first one, the one with the lamp, feels like someone’s running from the alley and finally sees light, a lamp post’s shadow, a sign of civilzation, a sign of hope and aid.

The second one… doesn’t really stirr up anything to me except the relaxing noise of powerlines in the night (that’s my own thing… not saying you’re relaxed by the powerline’s noise :slight_smile: )

the third one is, to me, a chase as the human figure is chasing a floating ball (a goal in his life?).

my thoughts regarding the tower

what about if there was light coming up from the street implying warm noisy human activity in the street below with the tower standing high above it all with just the moon for comfort

and maybe some birdshit/water stains would help it look more old and abandoned

?

I’d have to agree with Keroberus about the first oil. It gives you the distinct feeling of motion… the road does that for you… as you’ve mentioned its “The still evening” the road looks as if you were sitting in a moving vehicle… the theme is good, the colors are good … but u need to dim the lights just a little and perhaps elongate the shadow of the lampost a little more and you need to stop the road rushing away from the person looking at the painting.

About the orphan… he seems to be enjoying himself … solitude is generally an emotion which is not very enjoyable it is one of the serious emotions…perhaps if the boy was just strolling with his hands in his pockets and just idly kicking the ball…

I noticed in your first painting that it had a very similar feel to some of the paintings done by artist Jeffrey Smart, his paintings create a feeling that something is about to happen, and this is the moment just before the action begins. This is exactly how your first artwork came across to me, something seems to be just around that corner, and the sky is pressing in, waiting for the drama to unfold. It’s a great evocative image, though, as others have pointed out, not necessarily expressing the idea of solitude.
Your latest image is certainly more in the dirction you want. Some people have pointed out that the boy seems happy to be on his own, and others have mentioned that solitude should be more sombre and sad. It really depends on what interpretation of solitude you want to convey. Being alone is only depressing if you dont want to be, the word solitude simply expressed the that idea of being alone. To me solitude seems like a word you’d use to describe the calm, welcomed feeling of being allowed time to yourself far away from distractions. I think from the images you’ve created however, you want to show the idea that the subject has unwillingly been placed in a stark and empty place and wants other human company.
In respect to composition, doing a closeup of a character and showing a vast and empty background will help your viewer identify with the feelings of the character. Putting a tiny character in the middle of that empty scene focuses on the situation and distances the personal feelings of the character. Just an idea to help define what the focal point of the picture should be.

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.