The Solution to the Subscription Issue

Dear allies,

I know many of you complain about the new subscription model and so do I.

Complaining about prices is is a short-term thing. 725usd per year should be affordable for every freelancer.

But its about disabling us users and many studios in an enormous way.
„We don´t need lots of progress, they have to subscribe anyway“.
And think of what happens once Mason gets acquired 6years from now. You couldn´t even work with the old perpetual version.

To all you guys complaining, I want to encourage you.

THERE IS ONLY ONE THING WE CAN DO NOW.

Write an email directly to info@maxon.de and additionally send a letter to the CEO:

Maxon Computer GmbH
z.Hd. David McGavran / CEO
Max-Planck-Str. 20
61381 Friedrichsdorf
Germany

And please don´t be rude.

It´s us why Maxon exists. We enable them to pay the bills.

Seriously guys.
MAXON IS NOT ADOBE. That´s our chance.

Tell them directly what you think about „Subscription only“ and tell them if you want to be part of that.

Let´s see how we stick together.

They already knew what the reaction from many would be. Did it anyway.

The new Maxon CEO came over from Adobe. He was hired to do exactly this.

I appreciate the sentiment. Yes I am your ally here. But you can be sure: they won’t listen.

Honestly, I think it won’t work for one simple reason: the number of subscribers will be way, way higher that the few complaining on the forums. Same happened with Adobe. Someone is now moving to Affinity, but it’s like a drop in the ocean. I hardly believe it will affect them.

I don´t think you can compare Adobe with Maxon.

At Adobe all your bugreports get lost. At maxon you have one person processing bugreport emails and replying. At maxon they even listen to your feature requests. Honestly.

Only complaining in a forum really won´t help.

I don´t see why we should surrender instead of building momentum.

Marko,

Connect the dots. Maxon’s parent company, Nemetschek bought out the 3 Maxon founders and brought in a guy from outside the company, from outside the country. That CEO, McGavran, was quite familiar with the forced-subscription approach at Adobe.

This sub-only policy wasn’t a decision by Maxon employees, but by Nemetschek and their hand-picked CEO. I very much suspect there are some Maxon employees who don’t like this. Doesn’t matter. It’s been planned for a long time. They are convinced (right or wrong) that they can repeat what Adobe did and profit from this, despite losing a good number of long-term customers.

@verysame
As far as I know, Adobe has NOT that much more Subscriptions as they had Perpetuals before.
(Since a couple of years Adobe isn´t giving away the exact amount. They former had 12.5 mil. registred perpetual users when Cash Cow (CC) was invented. In end 2018 (6 yrs later !) they expected 15 mil. Supbscriptions. In the beginning, the amount was much, very much smaller 1,8 mil in 2014)
The fact is: Now all these are on Level of Master Collection (which was the most expensive Suite before and roundabout 5 % of all users bought that) and in many cases dependent to their file-formats.
Many Users have to buy the complete Tool-Box now. Regardless if they need it/can use it or not.
Adobes stock went up around 1000%.
Users also?
NEW MAXON isn´t a monopolist as Adobe is.
Competition is great and their prices are not that far away.

@Marko-doria
…because its foreseeable that there is a change in companies philosophy.
And yes - In the past Maxon was a real fair partner. Like only a very few companies I know.
But let´s wait, if the NEW MAXON is the MAXON we know from the past.