The Sideshow - Character - GMASK

The LEGMAN:

The legman’s deformity was being born with legs for arms and arms for legs. The circus was going to call him “Mr. Legs for Arms” but the inside joke about ole leggie being a legsman stuck (ole leggie is what the carnie’s call him ) . Legman’s deformity is rumored to have been caused by the spell of a witch doctor that was cast on his mother because she had washed the feet of another man. Unfortunately for ole leggie his mother never suffered from the spell other than giving birth to him. Soon after he was left with a traveling Gimp show and the rest is history.

I drew this in 1989. I guess it was probably inspired by Joel Peter Witkin. In order to stay within the rules I need to make him non-symmetrical and give him something to hold. I was thinking of having him balancing or operating some kind of device with his hands or feet. I might give him a loin cloth otherwise I don’t really need to worry about clothing.

Here’s the first image of the WIP. I’m roughing out the anatomy with spheres.

Here’s the legs… they still need work.

but I think I figured out that Legman is perched on a swing in a giant birdcage. I dunno if that counts as him holder something though?

Your basic bird freak…

That’s freaky, allright… Interesting roughing method.

wow, looks great what do you do after you get the rough together you melt all the spheres together? kinda like metaballs?

Lordrych

Originally posted by Lordrych
wow, looks great what do you do after you get the rough together you melt all the spheres together? kinda like metaballs?

I could boolean them together and do a smooth but that’s NOT what I was actually planning to do.

<<EDIT… actually I played around with union and smooth abit and it’s problematic and would make cleaning up the geometry a nightmare.

interesting method indeed!

one small critique however… I would imagine that his tricep muscles would be a lot bigger than that, seeing that they carry all that weight around… looks really wrong now, likr he suddenly woke up and found his limbs switched, as opposed to being born that way.

Originally posted by Amer
[B]interesting method indeed!

one small critique however… I would imagine that his tricep muscles would be a lot bigger than that, seeing that they carry all that weight around… looks really wrong now, likr he suddenly woke up and found his limbs switched, as opposed to being born that way. [/B]

Yeah the forearms are a bit spindlely as well.

New more powerful arms

This is hands down the weirdest thing I’ve seen in a long time! Not only the model, but the technique and the look of this last render… :surprised

That just HAS to be a good sign… !

Originally posted by JamesMK
[B]This is hands down the weirdest thing I’ve seen in a long time! Not only the model, but the technique and the look of this last render… :surprised

That just HAS to be a good sign… ! [/B]

LOL… I take it as good sign… FYI the rendering technique is just me screwing around with the screen capture in Photoshop. The rendering shall be more or less photoreal and witkinesque.

Yup, this is really strange and thus very, very interesting! You just got yourself a subscriber :slight_smile:

/Anders

roughing with spheres - thats very nice way gmask finding the right edge loops is now much easier (poly) - u going with nurbs patches (old school) or poly´s after roughing?

Originally posted by swag
roughing with spheres - thats very nice way gmask finding the right edge loops is now much easier (poly) - u going with nurbs patches (old school) or poly´s after roughing?

I haven’t decided yet… I may go with nurbs at first until I get the topology more or less laid out as edge loops are no fun in Maya.

What do you mean by “finding the right edge loops is now much easier (poly)”… maybe I has missed something?

Then I will convert them to polys and either use a smooth proxy or convert to sub-d.

your nurbs spheres represents the skeletal muscles of your model and when you looping the muscles you have very nice deformation when animation - the skinning is much easier with nice loops :slight_smile:

Here’s Leggie in his cage. He’ll be wearing a birdbeak mask … I think that qualifies as clothing? Does standing on his hands count as holding something?

Aww… just screwing around with the environment…

So I’ve started converting the model from spheres to surfaces…

After deciding on topology I am tracign the live surface of the spheres with curves. Then I loft the curves into a poly surface , then combine the lofts and merge edges. The final step is converting to Sub-D.

Continues to be most intriguing… At first, I had a feeling that all these steps put together would constitute quite a lot of overhead - but on second thought I assume you’ll get that time back because you will not have to do a lot of poly-tweaking afterwards. And the spanking clean topology makes any necessary tweaking a breeze… Hmm, very good stuff…