"The Rescue" Short Film

maksy

Thank you!..and thanks for voting, I’m amazed that the thread seems to now have a rating of four stars…thats never happened to me here at cgtalk. It’s a honour.

Anthony

Thanks!..yeah theres this clip here online, havn’t uploaded anything else yet, but could do that soon, its all getting really extream with the workload over here at the moment, theres so many shots to do, an awful lot of test rendering and a push each day to try to get a final shot to through into the edit.

TUNNEL:
http://www.studiotacitus.co.uk/ts.html

Michael,

I like the moody and atmospheric look! Just a nice balance of B/W and lightplay. Sometimes sets look a little spartan and drawn notice for that, but with just enough action and visual interest going on in the scene, it seems about the right pace!

Reminds me of the 1940s-50s sci-fi movies… where the scientists are racing through the tunnel to get to the hidden spaceship before the army!

Joe

Thanks Joe!

Glad you like the clip :slight_smile: …may upload another clip with sound soon. This whole sound business is tricky…I’m currently going with a bit of classical music…but its looking like i’ll have to use two bits of classical music.

A clip with sound :slight_smile:

TO THE SHIP:
http://www.studiotacitus.co.uk/tts.html

This is looking really cool. I also like the old time look of the film. Great work on the lighting and fog effect. It’s looking good!

:thumbsup:

watching this was the coolest part of my birthday, keep up the good work.

It reminded me of a cross between german expressionism and early silent science fiction films.

Eomer41

Thank you, glad you like the scratchy look / dirt on the lens look :slight_smile: I seem to keep altering every shot with the layer of dirt on that, can never get it how I want it or keep changing my mind on it…lol

hackett

Thanks!..I’m really happy that you had a good time with the clip
I don’t want to get negative here but I start to really think (at times) “what is the point?”…or…“being an artist is such a ridiculous thing…what possible use is any of this”…but when I hear that somebody loved it, then there suddenly is a point. I think I just look at it far, far too much and well…it’s like what Woody Allen says about how you have a idea…then you set out and make it into a film, but it never quite comes out how you had it in your mind.
[size=2]

I think what also happens is that you get very tired physically and mentally, I also have chronic fatigue syndrome and with that, sadly, depression is one of the symptoms.

I do however like bits of my film, this clip is one of the best bits in the film and also in the music. I do at times get really quite high on making the film and will do a shot that I love to pieces. and ive been getting excited about a new idea for another film that would use the same character.

But…I do realise after viewing a team project of lets say seven people…seven people who are experts in different areas, that you get a far better quality animation…that’s one of the things that saddens me about my projects is that they are by no means technical marvels…and the technical direction has a huge effect on how you can direct your story

[/size]

don’t try to make films for other animators or for yourself. Do what you can for the fourteen year old nephew that doesn’t read books or your widowed friend who is tired of watching Love Actually by herself for the 11,000 time.

The most envy I have on people who work in this industry comes from the people who get to work on the cool scripts not the highest budgets (although the older I get the more I just want to work on “something”…especially w/ hollywood downsizing everything).

I have to say its both wonderful and [size=2]extremely frustrating working on something like this that has no budget what so ever…the money I can imagine would get to a point where it wouldn’t be a good thing, BUT, at this point…money would come in mighty handy for a few things…lol

Decided to upload what I have so far…

THE RESCUE: PART 1 of 2
http://www.studiotacitus.co.uk/trpo.html

RUNTIME
4min 37sec

[/size]

There’s also a blog where I rattle out how I feel, though it’s a bit all over the place.

http://therescueshort.blogspot.com

It’s now a three part type of a thing…of course, once all the parts are done i’ll through it all together and it’ll be one thing.

Here’s the second part…

THE RESCUE: Part 2 of 3
http://www.studiotacitus.co.uk/trpt.html

Cool its coming together nicely. The shot under the massive sphere is really nice.

I’m not sure about the way the thingy is lifted up by the big magnet though, as it moves up on its own and then hits it.

Overwise its looking very nice :slight_smile:

This is looking fantastic and am certain it is going to be up there as 1 of the best animated shorts in my opinion. The style and look of the whole thing is amazing.

Keep up he fantastic work on what I am certain will be a magical piece of animtion.

Your lighting and compositions are really good. This style you have is really refreshing. Add with that the classical music and it really sets a mood. I hope the story is on the same level, because visually its amazing.

SimonReeves

Thank you, yeah the bit with the cage being put on the back of the truck i’m not too happy about iether, I think it could be a lot better, but theres so much to be done before 23rd that I really have to leave it and keep going…but, if i have time to fix it once ive got all the shots into the edit, I may try and get it better, I think maybe a little robot operating a better crane with grapple with him sitting in a chair would be nice.

leonlabyk

Thank!..lol, well I dont know about that…I just wish it was a bit better techically, there’s some stuff up ahead thats going to be really a bit tricky to pull off well.

otacon

Thank you.

Story is always somthing that worries me a bit, I just hope that what I have is enough.

I really enjoyed the two “episodes” so far. It is good to see something different.
You have a great style going there, and the music is just perfect.

Keep going Michael, I know it is tough sometimes but you are doing great stuff.

mick

Thanks for the kind words Mick

Really glad you loved the music. There’s a bit more Dmitri Shostakovich in Part 3.

Here we go…the day before the deadline I set myself. So I had to upload to simply say…here it is…or…here is somthing.

I’m really not happy with it at all, but I dont know if the thing itself is good or bad or like many of my things, its at the top of the bad pile and the bottom of the good pile. My feeling on it right now though, is, that it is exactly like this.

THE RESCUE: Part 3 of 3
>>> http://www.studiotacitus.co.uk/trpthree.html <<<

SOME MAJOR PROBLEMS I NOTICED

1. The truck and the jeep really at times are going far, far too slow for the music.

2. its very poor from a technical standpoint.

3. It’s a rushed job

4. It feels like a animatic

5. It feels like a first draft of the script

Just a quick mention!..there’s a blog for The Rescue…some shots from the colour version are on it (somthing i’d really quite like to continue, but there are too many projects!)

http://therescueshort.blogspot.com/

The video was great. How long did it take for you to set up the light in the scene.