The Real Story Here

Do the volumetrics now come with some kind of edge recognition? Edges that run diagonally through the “marching cubes” zone tended to create ugly artifacts because the resulting volumetric edges do not follow exactly the original edge. So you had to turn up the resolution to insane values or smooth it all down.

I would very much like an addition that adapts the micro-edge direction to the original edge direction of the generating bodies.

Interesting.

I personally think Maxon will survive this.

After all of the melodrama and angry bluster,
most of the core loyalists will suck it up and pay the subscriptions,particularly the Mac users who are already resigned to the high"Luxury tax" of their OS/hardware choice.

This is Maxon’s “End game” to survive
in a market where the true growth comes from appealing to the new incoming users …not pacifying the the existing “tribe” who are worried about opening thier 5 year old scene files in the future

Even leaving Blender, out of the equation ,the price of entry is where the battle is taking place and Autodesk
has delivered quite an opening salvo, that was likely targeting Houdini Apprentice, however clearly will have a collateral effect on anyone asking for more than $1000 USD for a full 3DCC.

Autodesk will keep their major Studio clients
and will now peel away many of the lone, one man operators and aspiring Studio job seekers well.

But I suspect Maxon will keep the majority of their
Arch vis/ motion graphics /Mac OS ,core user base overall.

One of the biggest issue I see here is what about the non-Studio users?

In my case I use Prime since the modules where discontinued and I haven’t missed/wanted any other features than Prime has to offer, so yes the subscription is a monstrous price step, where with MSA we used to pay 190 euros about and now we have to pay 700 something?, no thanks. And yes, they can say we get a juicy discount (20%) for two years which is still more than double of what we used to pay…

It is funny how in Youtube people are saying that now with the subscription is a bit cheaper… cheaper my rear.

@JC4D Well this year, it’s a bargain for you. Pay as usual and get a full studio perpetual licence. It’s only next year you’ll be bitten in the rear.

Us Studio user will have the privilege of paying almost three times as much for exactly the same thing.

As a matter of fact I asked my reseller if I could downgrade my MSA this year, to at least get something positive from this thing (they didn’t say yes, only we’ll call you).

@EricM, Yes you are right this year yes because I have MSA valid until April next year.

If I wanted to have Studio, but I don’t need it and I didn’t wanted it, now I feel like they are just saying:
“Take Studio or leave.
PS. Thanks for being our customer since version 9.”

Even when I bought my first license I got only Advance Render module in addition, nothing else.

I got answer from my reseller about the juicy discount which I do not consider it juicy at all.

If I were a Prime user with MSA, I’d simply take the upgrade to Studio Perpetual R21, and then leave the upgrade path. The 20% discount is not worth getting oneself locked into the subscription, and with a perpetual Studio of the newest variant, I’d have stuff I could explore for years on end, without paying a penny.

Once that feels too outdated, I could still decide whether it makes sense for me to go on a subscription for the higher price (entering a subscription later does not come with a “missed upgrade penalty” after all), get a new Perpetual (for an admittedly much higher price), or switch over to something else. (Where will Blender be in five years?)

Yeps, that’s what I have been thinking to do, get the perpetual R21 and stop there. I already started to check Blender but the material system(Mapping and editing) is like an alien language after C4D.

To be able to “paint” the smoothing where needed like in sculpting would greatly help too.

I have no idea. This will be the first time I get to work with VDB rendering.

I get the impression it’s an early feature, as there is no way to generate smoke and fluids in C4d and the only way to render them natively is with ProRender.

We’ll see how it turns out.

I don’t know if there are even any plugins in C4d that can generate VDB files. If x-particles does, I might be talked into buying a copy.

X particles certainly does, i think TFD and Realflow too.

That’s awesome, thanks.

A quick google search also turned up free .VDB files like this: https://cubebrush.co/byvfx/products/xycqw/200-modular-openvdb-clouds

I’m looking forward to trying this out!

Sadly TFD and RF don’t. They only save to dedicated caches. (RF files are .abc, TFD is some weird .bcf thing).

Just for for fun I exported an X-particles smoke sim, then used the Volume Loader to create a voxel grid in Builder and meshed it with Volume Mesher. No idea what good it’s for, but pretty funky nonetheless.

It’s maddening that C4D R20 has no native way of rendering volumes. I woud love to use TFD’s renderer, which is lightning quick with Standard Render!

X-Particles does but I haven’t found a way to import the VDB generated by XP into C4D yet.

Currently it relies on 3rd party renderers. It’s very simple with Redshift.

(edited: wrong topic)

You can convert TFDs native cache with a build in tool (bcf2vdb.exe) into open vdb.

Yeah, .exe. No macOS version, annoyingly.

[EDIT] Yes there is! It was included in the last build (D’OH!). Trying it out now!

I did using the Volume Loader, having saved out an X-Particles smoke sim as OVDB files. of course I have no way to render the damn things… (apart from a tedious TP/Pyrocluser workaround which was a bit riubish).