The Mars Rover Visualization of Daniel Maas @ Cgnetworks

New on CGNetworks, check out the small profile written by Lisa Thurston & me on our fellow CG talker Daniel Maas.

“Real NASA spacecraft are covered with wires and bolts, and you really need to model as many of those as possible to make convincing images,” explains Maas. “I spent two months working on the rover alone. The background environments make use of pretty much every trick I could think of, from straight photographs for the launch pad environs to hand-painted textures on real topography, for Mars.”

>>Link<<
>>Complete Animation<<

-R

You forgot to post the link so here it is:

http://www.cgnetworks.com/story_custom.php?story_id=1970

Great article roberto.

Ooops!
Thanks Sheep Factory

Fixed the link!
-R

Thanks for the neat article guys :). If there are any questions I would be happy to answer them here.

In the posted image you’ll note some texture misalignment/stretching on the “egress ramps” in front of the rover, which was my fault, although ironically the real ramps sort of look the same way!

Similarly, the hills you see in the background were supposed to be the walls of Vallis Marineris (a preferred landing site that was ruled out due to dangerous winds). But we can just pretend they’re the “east hillls” near Spirit :slight_smile:

I downloaded your animation after seeing the realplayer version after Nasa press briefings. I had to see the version with sound after experiencing it using 56k dialup.

I was blown away by the suspension of disbelief you achieved, I showed it to my father while explaining EDL and he asked if those were the real mountains or cg.

After watching your animation I watched the “Opportunity” landing live from mission control. As the Flight Controller ticked off the descent stages and stats, I could picture the whole thing as it unfolded, it felt almost like being there.

I would like to see some w.i.p. shots wires etc and maybe some previz, anything that you would be feel comfortable sharing with us from the "making of " would be great.

Thanks again for an excellent animation.

Michael.

i was really entertained watching this animation…had me glued to the screen. great use of audio i think…

good job :thumbsup:

-Strang

I am so jealous right now.

Beautiful work, really impressed with the way the rover was ‘humanized’ through use of music (btw, LOVE the music), and movement.
How bad is it to actually feel ‘sorry’ for a machine that is on another planet alone?

dmaas: if you have any wires or any more information that we can learn from, we would appreciate it. :smiley:

this proves the americans never get to mars…they only got some good 3d artists :slight_smile:

Gr8t work dude

Originally posted by Strang
[B]i was really entertained watching this animation…had me glued to the screen. great use of audio i think…

good job :thumbsup:

-Strang [/B]

100% agree !

WOW!! I totally feel soooooo sorry for that lonely robot. I hope the story ends where he finds some friends to play with.

You know you must be bored if all you do all day is drill rocks and look at them… =\

Just kidding.

Amazing work! Stand tall and be proud!!!

Very sweet, What I was wondering is whether that LW2RM translator will ever be made commercial, given all previous attempts being rather weak.

Great work!! Nice article too

Loved this piece since the first time I saw it (an engineering director at Aerojet showed it to my class when he was teaching it).

Although, I always turned down the sound when I watch the new one so I can listen to the launch’s “original” soundtrack (Fly Away by Lenny Kravitz - I guess they didn’t get the rights before it went public - or the Aerojet guys modified it). It’s almost like Wizard of Oz and Dark Side of the Moon if you start at the right time.

WOW… absolutly stunning :slight_smile:

Nice article!

Is that music from Edward Shearmur, (from the movie K-Pax)?

Excellent animation, btw. :slight_smile:

Originally posted by dflipb
[B]WOW!! I totally feel soooooo sorry for that lonely robot. I hope the story ends where he finds some friends to play with.

You know you must be bored if all you do all day is drill rocks and look at them… =
[/B]

lol
any way geat job :thumbsup:

I first saw this video months ago. Back then I downloaded the 300 meg DVD quality version, and since then I watch it very nearly every week. Great work, Mr. Maas.

Congratulations Mr. Maas, you did an excellent job of pre-visualizing this incredible achievement in science. I have seen animations for previous NASA projects that seemed like they were ten years behind the technology curve, despite the many billion dollars being spent on the projects. It’s good to know that you have raised the bar and helped NASA promote a competent, technologically superior image.

-T

Streamed the vid a few hours ago. Now im trying to DL the DVD quality version taking ages.

I’ve been fallowing the mars rovers like a hawk. I check space.com and cnn.com for any news that the rovers have discovered life on that small red ball.

Sometimes I feel we’re little in the dark by the media regarding the mission, seeing that we only get bits and piece of data and photos that don’t look to different that what you’d see here on earths deserts.

It still surpises me that we can get a little robot that far into space that can nagotiate rocks so it can drill and take photos of it in exact locations down to the inch millions of miles away, yet oddly after several weeks, they can’t make out if there is water yet? hmm They’re shooting shots of sand that have threads that could be anything from alien hair to parts of the rover chute…

at any rate, the CG simulation is the best thing I’ve ever seen put together for a space mission. You really get a sense that it’s all worth it when you see that little vid. It still blows me away to think about this man man device is diggin away millions of miles from here, and two of them no less.

Inspiring mission! Unless however… the mission turns into Al Capones vault and we’re left wondering why we spent so much money, time and effort to look at a pile of lava rock on a dead planet of red dust. I guess us humans just have to say we did it, because we could… :shrug:

did I mention the CG was AMAZING!!! possible that we’re not even on mars… look sooooooo real. (if only the missions were as smooth)