The Line Object Primtive Lives - Thanks to a Genius

For years I’ve argued that Maxon needs a Line Primitive to Join it’s Primitive Family.

After all this time, Who gives it to us? The uber-Geek of c4d…Merk

Power starts with the simple things done right. I guarantee there will be a “Pro Version” LOL

Why ? Just grab the free spline tool with snap enabled. Or just edit the start and end point to the same coordinates.
This primitive could potentialy make the workflow slower when trying to connect things with wierd angles.

Could be useful if start and end points were editable so you chould use the intermidiate point counter no matter the orientation of the spline.

If you want a poly you can draw it easily with the polypen tool…but there is still a poly primitive. Similar with other primitives. They can be created manually…but slower.

Every drawing software app has a line tool dating back to macPaint and macDraw in 1984. Beginners shouldn’t have to fuss with snapping… and fiddling with the axis handles which get in the way…and changing out of perspective view… and fussing w/subdivisions…to draw a simple straight proper line.

And experienced users shouldn’t have to spend 10 seconds making a line when they can add one in 1 second.

For a simple straight line I use an n-side with 2 sides.

I guess the more options the better, but besides the ability to push the axis to center or either end, I dont see anything else we dont already have with mospline?

This has nothing to do with adding some new capability. It’s an issue of approach-ability and usability.

If you are talking to a newbie and they just want a damn line…the user shouldn’t have to fish around for a mospline or an n-side. They shouldn’t have to manipulate the pen tool, which inevitably requires things like changing views and snap settings…perhaps fussing w/subdivisions.

The mospline confuses new users as it has that green visualizer overlay and a myriad of options. It’s a sophisticated mograph generator not a primitive.

Merk gets it. One line in one second. A few simple controls. He has built two amazing spline plugins (TopoWire and ReSpline) but he realized there was a need for something utterly and obscenely…SIMPLE.

Besides, the principle of it! A line is by definition a geometric primitive…yet it was missing among c4d primitives.

I wonder what is the median age of Cinema 4D users today.
I am seeing what happened when i arrived to Softimage, a reluctance to consider simplicity , ease of use importance and a strong attachment to existing routines.

I agree, simplicity is good. But you only need to learn something once, and then every time after that its easy.

But the greatest simplicity is to not have to even learn, which is basically calling something everyone already learned as a child. Automatic, Intuitive.

The only software i thought was intuitive to learn albeit restricted to relative simple modelling was Sketchup.

Sometimes i think i wanted a software that in its logic followed traffic rules terms.

@JoelDubin

I suppose I recoil at the inelegance of needing to use a F14 tool (like moSpline) for times I want to fly a little drone. :slight_smile: That and…by default MoSpline creates too many points.

It’s not only over-kill it’s fiddly and even lacking if you just want a line w/immediate axis and # point control.

I know that once people have a simple line primitive…they’ll use it…like it…and wonder why it hasn’t been there all along.

Won’t heal the world…but hey…

@IceCaveMan If asking a user to create an n sided and typing in “2” is too much, then we urgently need triangle, pentagon, hexagon and whatever primitives as well.

I get that easier is better, but I guess I dont undertand how this particular tool is seen as such a big step forward when Im only seeing the axis shift as being the only functional difference between mospline and the spline plugin. Just pointng out that we already sort of have this feature.

Also–you can just change the step count in the mospline controls. to get more or less points. The more you know! :wink:

I will agree that maybe the tool gets buried due to its seeming complexity, and Maxon isnt always the best at putting a spot light on hidden features, --but once you spend 5 minutes fiddling with it, you will discover a lot of useful functions. My favorite and most useful one for me is the ability to grow a spline over an existing spline or better yet, over a spline made from a tracer via cloner nulls or placed/animated nulls, so you end up with a totally procedural and animatable spline.

You should not have to spend 5 minutes in something that should be automatic.
The complexity should come after the initial contact.

@Cinemike

Discover-ability is important in good software.

I build database apps and I would be embarrassed if to perform a query some one lacked a “FIND” button and instead had some cryptic button in it’s place. …or if I required users to fish around for common commands.

And again the n-gon option doesn’t permit you to easily control axis and # of points.

@JoelDubin

MoSpline is sweet…for power mography operations.

We have ‘Cissoid’ and ‘Cycloid’ and ‘Profile’ primitives. I think the program can afford room for a line primitive. Until we get a native one we’ll (soon) have the plugin.

It won’t open up a world of possibilities…but I’ll be a tad better world. :v:

…and for adding a simple spline to your scene :wink:

(Sorry couldnt resist–in the end whatever floats your boat is best!)

I’m drawing a line in the sand over this…with the best tool for the job! :wink: