The future of CG for Architecture industry?

Hi all the seniors,

This is Vic, and I am a new comer of CG. It is so good to know this site, since I can see
so many great works here and learn from you.

I am asking for your assistance abt the prediction of the CG for architecture industry.
Does any one know somthing abt it? Especially for 3D.

I mean in the States, UK, and Germany. Is there huge demand for architecture 3D?
I tried to find the market research on the web, but ended up with no result.
Can anyone provide me some information abt this?

Thanks in advance.

Vic

Hello,

Can anyone advise me some information?
Thank you very much.

Regards

Vic

Sighhhhhhh…

I really need some information to decide whether to invest on this
or not.

Any opinion is welcome.

Regards

Vic

hey FerryVic,

i can only speak for the market in germany as this is also my interest.
i know a lot students (architecture) who work with progs like archiCAD and AutoCAD, most of them know VIZ too but when it comes to modeling, lighting and rendering they need a lot of advice. since they never had a look into the theory of modeling and rendering they are mostly fascinated by the output 3d-software can generate in these days.

but, and it´s that simple - the studies are very time-intensive and they don´t have the time to learn a complete software from the scratch. so most of them go back to traditional modeling with paper and wood and stuff, not thinking about 3d.

when they start in the industry, they´ll still work with the software they´re used to work with. and a lot of the visualizations aren´t really impressive. so i think the little companies and studios don´t bother about high-end-3d really… only the bigger ones can afford this.

if you consider to try it in the market, it would be an advantage when you´re an architect yourself, i think.

I’ve been working with architectural visualization for about 10 years. I would not consider the architectural visualization market huge market. I would say there is work out there but it is more of a niche market. Many recent grads of architecture schools have some 3D skills, but they are usually not very polished. It is very helpful to have an architectural background and have 2D CAD skills. You will find it hard to get a respectable fee for smaller architectural projects, there just isn’t money there. Larger and high profile projects can usually justify renderings and sometimes animated walkthroughs. Most people who do this kind of work, work freelance or with animation companies that do some architectural renderings. In my opinion real estate developers are better clients than architects. Good luck.

Still going strong here in the UK!

I work for Smoothe. Probably one of the largest in the uk, and we are going from strength to strength, it just gets more and more busy. So the market is very buoyant. But the number of companies around are increasing month by month and the gap in the market is closing bit by bit.

I’m in the final stage of my architecture degree at university here in Rome and i have a fairly good experience with those apps that have been conceived for architecture. In fact all my 3D “story” started from an university project, then i fell in love with 3D, but that’s a long story. How do I see the future of architectural viz? Not so different from the actual one. The 2D/3D CAD apps can’t be replaced by a 3D software, i keep repeating that. Their 2D capabilities, the possibility to make drawings and automatically extract the sections/elevations, the 3D views and the measures are frankly unbeatable. My workflow is always the same i had 5 years ago: create everything i can in my CAD of choice and then export everything into Cinema4D for lighting, shading and rendering (and even animation if needed). In the last few years there have been many introductions in the cg world that helped architectural viz a lot: the Radiosity and Global Illumination technologies helped architects a lot, usually all they want is a good output in the fastest possible way, they don’t wanna mess around with lights and technical stuff, all they want is to import their model and press the render button. Look back at some 3-4 years old architectural renders, you’ll notice a fairly deep step from an era to another one. When finalRender, Brazil, V-Ray, Cinema4D and Mental Ray introduced their indirect illumination algo’s the quality of the renders has improved dramatically, many people were absolutely astonished by the new possibilities, others kept using the old lighting techniques with the new technologies, others again let the machine do all the work. I have to say i can’t see anything so new or dramatically important for architecture, it seems the trend moved from lighting to simulation (soft/rigid body simulations, cloth simulations, fluids and so on) so probably that’s nothing you’d need for architecture, unless you want to make your buildings collapse :wink:

Here in northern ireland i think there are only a handfull of companies that do architectural 3d and i would say there is plenty of work to keep a fairly small company going but not if there alot of new companies to start up.

Thanks for my friends from Germany, UK, Italy, and Northern Ireland. Akdigital3D, can you advise me which region you are in?

I will take good consideration about the current situation you mentioned. Why I choose only the States, UK, and Germany for my first target is because of the language issue. After all, it will be a huge investment to me. I am planning to cooperate with local people like you and provide our 3D and animation service for construction/architectural industry. Then, to see if we are capable of other regions and fields.

Thanks again, and I hope after few months, I can also contribute my opinions here as what you did.

Peace

Vic

The demand for architecural visualization is deffinatly growing, and will continue to grow.

It will never take over, but there will allways be an increasing demand.
My firm has just started doing high end 3d renders for clients, and we keep getting more work. Alot of clients want nice images so that they can presell buildings or space in buildings, that way they have to invest less money up front.

As CG becomes faster to produce and more realistic, the demand will increase. If a client can get a photorealistic image of condo’s for a good price to pre-sale, he will. He won’t pay the big bucks that movie makers and other fields can though.

The market is there, it’s good. You just have to be good, fast, and relativly cheap.

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.