The Day the Music Died

Go tell the Adobe customers of Venezuela how life is much better with the subscription model. Adobe has cut access without warning so all those artists who entered into a legally binding contract with Adobe now cannot access the tools of their trade due to an increase in illegal US sanctions on the country.

Think that same thing couldn’t happen with companies based in the EU? Listen to the poisonous russophobic and sinophobic rhetoric spewing from such EU luminaries as Guy Verhofstadt and Donald Tusk. This trumped up EU empire likes to throw around sanctions too so how should a Russian or Chinese artist feel comfortable entering into a contract for software when their tools of their trade could be switched off overnight.

It has become de rigueur for governments to throw around sanctions like confetti and corporations to jump straight to it in compliance, sooner or later the sanctions will impinge on your ability to do business if you don’t own your software.

Don’t say it can’t happen, it happened to the good people of Venezuela.

This topic is temporarily closed for 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 4 hours.

This topic is temporarily closed for 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

Maxon have always had their heads screwed on backwards.

They had the best UI in the business, but pissed that huge advantage away with overpricing by factor X 2 to X 3, not listening to customer requests, never giving even a tiny clue as to where the software is going next, taking years to fix or implement much needed features, always being the absolute last in the market to add Pro 3D features to the software that Maya and others already had, not doing enough R&D and so on and so forth.

Now subscriptions, 14 day internet license checks and so on.

Cinema4D is effectively DEAD. Mismanaged first by Maxon, then by Nemetschek.

R.I.P. Cinema4D.

Thank God for Blender 2.8x.

C4D isn’t dead at all but another fat loaded release like R20 wouldn’t hurt. Blender is cool though.

‘Fat loaded releases’ are over, the precedence has been set.

One of the features of previous C4D updates were all the unlisted UI tidy-ups and workflow improvments, these will no longer be unlisted in future updates. Every inconsequential improvement will be lifted up and assigned a bullet point to manufacture a ‘fat release’ from nowhere. Watch for that.

I agree, C4D isn’t dead but it’s on a trolley on the way to a high dependency ward with an unfavourable prognosis. The problem for Maxon is that the industry is changing fast and much faster than Maxon have historically shown to be able to cope with.

The arrival of real time or near real time GPU assisted ray tracing and USD which will provide high fidelity scene and asset transfer will inevitably attract more and more users and industries to Game Engines not just for rendering but as their DCC of choice. The days of needing C4D ‘Studio’ are over and in the next couple of years renderers like Redshift and VRay will be seen as quaint. Redshift RT will never be able to compete against Unreal Engine and the $millions that will be thrown at their RT Render tech.

How can Maxon change gears and accelerate development and compete with this > https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Engine/index.html IMHO, they can’t.

There are already early adopters such as Arch Viz, Science Viz, VR developers, RT performance and Indie filmmakers reaping the benefits of Game Engines and it’s not going to be long before the Mograph crowd wake up too. I think Maxon is the most vulnerable given the state of development and Mograph niche but Max will be hit and only those DCC like Maya and Houdini who have traditionally carved their own furrow will survive.

In the last 6 months I’ve been testing Eevee and despite it not having ray tracing I have sneaked into client demos Eevee renders and not one has noticed. In fact in the right circumstance Eevee and a little post production can look surprisingly close to Redshift and instead of taking 2-3 mins for a render it’s 20-30s per frame, a dramatic time saving. Add RT Ray Tracing to Eevee or Unreal and it’s, no pun intended, Game Over for days of rendering or render farms, take your pick.

Instead of anonymously flagging this thread, how about you join the discussion?

Hi,

I agree that flagging and temporarily closing this thread is childish. Yes, nobody is forced to read this thread. Yet, some of the postings were not very polite and that is unnecessary too.
I just installed my R21 and didn’t go much into it. R21 has nothing I need urgently. In fact, I mostly still work in R19, where I can load all my old files directly. A few weeks ago Maxon cancelled my MSA to the end of the year. So, it was Maxon, who ended our business relationship.
I was also unhappy with the development of C4D the last years. I was angry at Maxon when they released the unfinished TR and stole my time. But, I realized that being angry at Maxon would only hurt myself and it would change nothing.
Being a german speaking Amiga guy in the 80s, I followed the various endeavors of Maxon from the beginning (they started selling 3D software later). In the 90s I had C4D SE on MacOS 7.5 just for fun. Later I started some serious work with EIAS (R.I.P.), which, so I was told, was the professional solution. I never liked EIAS as much as C4D. When Maxon acquired rights to Thinking Particles, which was incredible at that time, I entered the C4D ecosystem with R8.5 for my work. 14 years later I still have almost the same TP I bought with R8.5. Of course I bought X-particles, a third party renderer, 3D-Coat for sculpting, retopo and UV-mapping and Modo for modeling. And of course I use Blender since 2.4x.
At the beginning I mostly used blender for file conversions for some exotic file formats. With the 2.6x release and Cycles it became obvious how powerful Blender is. If you get used to the blender way, you can work very productively in blender. Eevee ist great and one can only speculate when Maxon will deliver a similar solution. They won’t tell us. They don’t even tell us whether they are working on something like that. For years I heard, that with the new core things will be so incredibly fantastic. I decided to keep my MSA to benefit from these achievements, while working more an more in other DCC applications
Now, that I’m without open contract with Maxon, I will wait and see what Maxon has to offer in the future. They have to convince me with their future products. If R22 will be another lackluster release the won’t get my money this time. If R22 will be the incredibly fantastic release promised, I will probably feel a little bit cheated but I won’t get angry. I will use C4D as long as it helps me with my work and I will upgrade my R21 accordingly.
What I really look forward to is the „all nodes blender release“ around 2.83 or 2.84.The momentum is clearly with blender. All the tech-affine 14 years old kids (and older) have Blender on their computer. They watch a youtube video and create fantastic results in short time. They don’t discuss the UI, they use the software. They can collaborate easily in bigger projects at no extra cost. Will they use C4D in college or university? I doubt it.
Eevee and RT engines are the way to go and I will go this way. Blender 2.8x on a fully blown up graphics workstation with 2 or more rtx2080 is simply incredible.
So, we are living in great times for DCC.

cheers

celke