Texturing Workshop Part 5

i can put the pdf/doc n my webspace. no traffic limits, plenty of space. send it to my mail and i’ll post the link: martrash@terra.es

Leigh, I have a question for ya:

I recently figured out how to do a Photoshop trick that allows one to seperate the color channel from the diffuse channel of any given image. The idea being you can texture an object with a color image and a diffuse image and get exactly the image you started with back out of itat 100% lighting. Is the info on how to do that of interest to you?

Yeah, Nanogator - that sounds really interesting :cool:
Post it in the diffuse workshop thread - Diffusion Workshop
:smiley:

Here it is, folks:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=172078#post172078

:slight_smile: Leigh, I’m particularly curious what you think of it, particularly if this process is of use to you. I haven’t done much texture work lately so I’m curious what somebody who does a lot of it thinks. I was tickled when I got this technique working. :love:

I think that some, um, beginners, do not understand how the program extrapolates how reflective something is from a map. Eg. In the reflect map, do I put in a picture of my room or do I put in a grayscale map?

The different ways diffuse, reflect, and environment map slots are used are a bit confusing when starting out.

[I know, but I’m sure you could explain it so succinctly and eloquently, as you always do :wink: ]

Okay, let me explain a little more clearly :wink: :

The reflection map that you place into your reflection channel in your surface editor is a indeed a grayscale map - the darker the gray, the less reflective, the lighter grey, the more reflective.

When making grayscale maps for texturing, the renderer takes the gray value of each pixel, and applies that value accordingly to the value of that attribute - in other words, if a pixel is 42% gray, that area will be 42% reflective.

The best way to start off a reflection of specularity map (or any other map for that matter) is to decide on the overall amount of that attribute that you want. In other words, of you don’t want any part of it to go more reflective than 16%, then make a gray image in Photoshop that is 16% gray, and just darken the areas that you want to be less reflective.

When making maps like this, I personally tend to start off by the process I have explained above, and then just use the dodge and burn tools (in Photoshop 5) :wink:

As far as a reflection environment goes, well if you want it to reflect your bedroom, then place that image into the environment slot in the surfaces settings (if it has one).
I can’t remember where this option is in Max, but I know it is there somewhere…
In Lightwave, this option is under the Environment tab in the Surface Editor.
I’m not yet sure where these options are in XSI, or Maya :shrug:

Hope this makes sense! :smiley:

I wish I could communicate as well as you! :buttrock:
I’d also like to add that this really doesn’t just apply to reflection either. It’s the same way you set bump, displacement, masks, etc etc.

Originally posted by bri
i can put the pdf/doc n my webspace. no traffic limits, plenty of space. send it to my mail and i’ll post the link: martrash@terra.es

is it up yet

Originally posted by Leigh
Hmmm… when I am texturing, I usually use a 3 point light setup :slight_smile:
Basically I position 3 lights around the object ar varying intensities so that any flaws and all details will show up clearly :slight_smile:

Can you post this setup please

there ya go… unless Leigh does not approve it:shrug:

[](http://www.iespana.es/hecatonchires/files/Texturing for Dummies - Part 5.pdf)

and the part 4:

[](http://www.iespana.es/hecatonchires/files/Texturing for Dummies - Part 4.pdf)

could you post 1,2,3 pdf’s thx:)

sorry, there is a post made by leigh herself where the three pdf’s are linked to a page :

if you click on the topmost link, you’ll be in a page where the first 4 are (or at least, they were here last sunday)

Hey Leigh, great tuts here, I am learning and applying alot of yours and others techniques on my A&B challenge, but they arent good enough to post so Ill prob move them to a WIP when challenge is over.

On the question of reflection mapping, though. I am not familiar with MAX, so maybe there is just an environment reflection property there.
But for the Maya users out there, there are two(2) reflection channels. (Shown below)
The one with the slider is pretty self explanatory, and the little checkerboard on the right lets you define a grayscale relfection map of your choice.
And directly below that is a channel where you can define an actual full color map (ie. environment) when you click on the checkerboard.

Hope the pic helps others out there.:beer:

:beer:

Thanks a lot leigh! I suck at textureing, so any help that I can get is great! This is a great thing that you’re doing for everybody :D!

-Jsh3d

Hi Leigh, this is my first time on this site, and I love your tutorials! Lots of great info. Anyway, I wanted to ask a question from way back in the first lesson, about determining texture map size. How do you calculate the image size if it will be used in gaming, where every bit of space counts? The advice is generally to keep them around 256 x 256, what do you suggest?

Originally posted by mabuffaloe
Hi Leigh, this is my first time on this site, and I love your tutorials! Lots of great info. Anyway, I wanted to ask a question from way back in the first lesson, about determining texture map size. How do you calculate the image size if it will be used in gaming, where every bit of space counts? The advice is generally to keep them around 256 x 256, what do you suggest?

The advice I read in a magazine once was to make the texture as high res as possible while it’s in development, then scale it down to your needs.

I haven’t worked on a game, so take my advice with a grain of salt. :slight_smile:

I don’t know all that much about games, but as far as I know, the size of the images used really depends on the game engine - more powerful engines can handle larger images.
The rule of thumb is - the best quality in the smallest size. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of game maps being larger than 512x512 :slight_smile:

Ack! Leigh! What happened to your avatar! Somebody shrunk your head!!

Hehehe yeah Sasquatch did it :stuck_out_tongue:
I saw the pic, and thought it would be a nice change! :smiley:

by any chance this thread will move along soon? Will there b an update soon? I’ll be waiting right here.

PLEASE UPDATE THIS, PLEASE!!!:slight_smile: