Texture Mapping in Several Different Applications

[Note: I am posting this question in forums dedicated to: 3ds Max, Maya, Cinema 4D, Blender, maybe others]

The following simple free model, bare bones, geometry only, textures included (Build/Roll Your Own) provides a good learning experience:

https://www.cgtrader.com/free-3d-models/architectural/decoration/scifi-pedestal-turntable

If I can make it work, that is. As usual, there is no way I can replicate the advertised look:

These are the 5 PBR maps provided:

[To Be Continued]

I wish they provided a normal map. That one is easy as well.

TIA

-RFH

It looks like this is a marketing shot - it has some extra bloom/glare fx, and a gradient background.

I opened this in the blender format provided and straight from the viewport I was able to get this using the shader setup provided.

I then recreated the shader setup in 3dsmax vray to match the blender shader & hdri lighting. Make sure you turn the Vray Material to use Roughness as the screenshot below.

It looks like the only thing that needs extra work is the EMIT as im losing some of the blue from the larger rectangle lights, I turned on bloom/glare from the Vray VFB the render below was the result, I also put a gradient in the VFB background to match the reference. Im sure with tweaking the direction of the hdri some more and whatever extra post effects hes put into this image would bring you closer to the final result.

3dsmax files:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZApID8GOdNSF0ag_pGk6PLHQVH4ppHCA

What a great job, James! This is the way I like models delivered. I simply pressed “Q” and the object was rendered in all its beauty. The diagram of nodes in the Slater Material Editor are perfect as well. Kudos.

BTW: I noticed that you added a file named “forest.exr”. Being an incurable curious, I tried to open it with Photoshop. See error message below:

Could%20Not%20Open%20EXR

Thanks!

-Ramon

ps: I downloaded a set of EXR sample files from Industrial Light and Magic:

https://www.openexr.com/downloads.html

OpenEXR sample images
openexr-images-1.7.0.tar.gz

Good to hear it worked for you :ok_hand:

Not sure why you cant open the .exr file in photoshop, I was able to to check if it was the one I was looking for.

Its basically the Forest HDRI from Greg Zaal . Its also included for free in blender 2.8.

C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\datafiles\studiolights\world

As a side note, if I ever have issues opening a file in photoshop, I open it in gimp - it does a surprisingly good job.

You can simply use the Physical material in 3ds max, it is the main material now, it uses the current PBR material standard of metalness/roughness unlike Vray material which uses its own material idiom, and all renderes including Vray should work with it.

Thanks, Kaaf:

Being a total newbie, I was using Standard Material only. That is what I have seen in the YouTube tutorials.

I wonder whether there is some sort of translation table between the old main material and the new one.

“Bump” and “Displacement” seem to be the only materials that they have on common.

-RFH

The standard material is quite old so it lacks PBR features. You would do similar to how we set up the Vray material above if you wanted the Physical Material.

The Emit works a bit differently so Im unsure how to get the exact color as I dont generally use the Physical Material but everything else should be working.

It would be easier to understand what you are trying to achieve so we can point you in the right direction, whats the point of using standard materials?

3D File:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SwJ-rTA9C3vPUqffMunvUuUaPCXttajb

The current version of Vray supports Metalness/Roughness
Otherwise it is still physically based but it uses reflection/gloss instead

I have been hunting free models on the Internet for learning purposes. Many of them come with the old fashioned Standard Material maps.

I figured that, as in software and other endeavors, there would be an upgrade path.

-Ramon

Free models are a hit and miss, standard materials are an easy way to export basic materials to another software but its very limited. This is why vray has its own exporter so that your materials look the same between software (as long as you are using vray for both).

If you are downloading models with PBR materials (metal/rough) then these are designed to work with PBR shaders/materials, like the Physical Material in 3dsmax or Vray. Other PBR setups such as (gloss/spec) will work with most render engines. PBR materials are the new standard so the ‘standard’ material in 3dsmax does not support these.

If your plan is to build everything for Unreal Engine then you should set up those materials within Unreal if you want the cleanest workflow. There are also alternatives such as Datasmith that can transfer full vray/corona scenes with lighting etc, but you will run into certain objects/materials that wont convert 1:1 and have to fill in the gaps yourself at some point.