Sunflow 0.5

Sunflow Global Illumination Rendering System V0.5.

In action [here](http://sunflow.sourceforge.net/gallery/v005/progressive-anim.mov) and gallery [here.](http://sunflow.sourceforge.net/index.php?pg=gall)  I think this has a lot of potential.

[img]http://home.comcast.net/%7Eelamd/sunflow1.jpg[/img]

Features:

[ul]
[li]Extensible architecture: geometric primitives, cameras, intersection accelerators, surface shaders, image filters, light sources, global and caustic photon maps, and GI engines work with user extendable types[/li][li]All user extensible features are exposed as interfaces, making it easy to integrate into existing applications[/li][li]Simple API for procedural scene creation[/li][li]Direct Illumination with soft shadows from area lights[/li][li]Adaptive sampling of area light sources[/li][li]Quasi-Monte Carlo sampling architecture: all sampling operations are fully deterministic[/li][li]Adaptive image anti-aliasing (over and under sampling)[/li][li]Bucket based rendering (programmable ordering)[/li][li]Progressive refinement rendering[/li][li]Photon Mapping (for global illumination and caustics)[/li][li]Caustic filtering[/li][li]Irradiance Cache for inter-diffuse reflections[/li][li]Path tracing for inter-diffuse reflections (with multiple bounces)[/li][li]Texture mapping (JPG, PNG, HDR loaders)[/li][li]Depth of field[/li][li]Camera motion blur[/li][li]Multi-pixel image filtering[/li][li]Multi-threading[/li][li]Display driver interface[/li][li]Redirectable info/warning/error messages and rendering progress information for integration into existing applications[/li][/ul]
[ul]
[li]Custom scene format: basic translators exist for 3ds files and Blender[/li][li]Output formats: HDR, PNG[/li][li]Written 100% in Java[/li][li]Simple Swing GUI with progressive rendering display and console.[/li][li]Simple Swing display driver that can be embedded in other applications.[/li][/ul]
[ul]
[li]Primitives: triangle, disk, sphere, infinite plane, point sets (experimental), cube-grid (eg: Menger Sponge)[/li][li]Cameras: pinhole, spherical, thinlens[/li][li]Ray intersection acceleration schemes: kd-tree, uniform grid, bounding volumes hierarchy, null (for simple scenes)[/li][li]Surface shaders: diffuse, mirror, glass, phong (with glossy reflections), ambient occlusion, shiny diffuse, anisotropic ward[/li][li]Light Sources: point light, directional spotlight, triangle area light, image-based infinite area light[/li][li]Photon mapping engines: KD-Tree and grid based[/li][li]Image Filters: Box, Triangle, Gaussian, Blackman Harris, Catmull-Rom, Mitchell, Lanczos, Sinc[/li][li]Bucket orderings: Hilbert, Spiral, Row, Column, Diagonal[/li][li]Global illumination engines: irradiance caching, path tracing[/li][li]Display drivers: Swing frame, file output[/li][/ul]

nice :thumbsup:
yet an other opensource renderer.

Look cool.

Cool :thumbsup: I wonder how it works within a 3D software like Max

Thanks for the plug Fides.

I’m the Sunflow developer. The project is still in early stages and not super user friendly yet. I am planning to focus on supporting open source modellers like Blender at the moment, I think that 3dsmax has more than enough renderers as it is :wink: I welcome anyone who is interested in writing a connection to commercial packages though.

Have fun everyone :slight_smile:

I have only one question…render times?

^ Watch the video.

Well the easiest is to download the release and try the sample scenes for yourself. =) Like most raytracers, rendertimes are heavily dependent on the number of samples. The same scene can take seconds to hours by just changing sampling rates.

For reference, I think that video was recorded on a Dual Opteron 2Ghz.

I did, seems…average. Could be a lot slower though and it certainly is a lot faster than Lightwave :slight_smile: so…maybe I should give it a spin some time.

hmm interesting , java open source renderer
did have a look to the source , it seems so small
id like to reverse it to understand it!

keep on guys

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.