Strange Behavior (Illustration) Entry: Till Nowak

Here I added myself entering the bathroom still half sleeping in the morning - only visible in the mirror and only one second away from recognizing the shaved bumblebee with its mean friends. In this version the fur is missing again, it has to be rendered seperately. What do you think, is it better with the human in the mirror or is it distracting from the intimate little story in focus?

Greetings,

Very cool. The fur really sets the context

Great image - I like the one with the hair on the two BB’s the best. I think that adding the human element in this particular image detracts from the overall composition. I would vote to leave the figure out. Excellent work overall

Very nice and I to think that you will do just fine with out the human, takes the focus away from the action.
/peter

rofl, this is so absolutely funny, most hilarious entry I have seen so far! :smiley:

Hm, dunno about the mirror background. Both versions are appealing in a way. Maybe you could further play with how the character in the mirror looks like. And although it really does take away from the main action slightly, a person in general could basically add a nice touch, but it should look fitting (outfit, pose etc.)
At least, I’d definitely stay with the enclosed look in the 2nd last version of yours. The photo you placed lastly has an open area (a window?) on the very left which destroys some of the bathroom atmosphere…

Hau rein! :slight_smile:

Now I started to render layers and work on the final high resolution image. Most challeing part is to set up an atmospheric lighting. I will still try another version without the human and different bathroom background, and I will continue to tweak details, also on the bumblebees skin.

Lighting and composition are almost final now. To rework or erase the human in the background will propably be the last major change to be done, plus a few detail enhancements. I did excessive photoshop layering and painting and will post some making-of-info about that soon. Looking forward to your comments and critique.

Hey, I like the image but I do too think that you ,‘the human’ detracts from the focus too much. I prefer without :slight_smile:

Great! Wonderful to see it really come to life! Suggest just a touch of stubble, or a few stray hairs left.

This one is overwhelming superior!

I love it most. Just one compositional critic: Its concerning the reflection of the guy in the background. It confused me very much, because I tried to connect it with those bumblebees. I didn’t find a connection. Or are the bumblebees this reflected guy’s pets? I don’t think so. But if they are, it would weaken the strange behaviour, i.e. the foxiness of the bumblebees.
Maybe you con find a better compositional element, to make it better readable and comprehensible!

Wish you all the best!

These are my main layers…

:rolleyes: Every photoshop and compositing artist has his own way of arranging and working with layers. I think it’s fun to compare how artists use layers, that’s why I post this here. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Speaking for myself I can say that I would have a lot of fun watching the revealed layers of all of the other entries… Maybe it’s interesting for somebody, or maybe not…

A summary of the the most important detail enhancements.

Part 2 of the summary of detail enhancements.

This is the little story of the bumblebee Bernard who wanted to impress his friends with a funny experiment. It was one of these boring days, when they were as usual looking for some nonsense to get involved in, when the three bumblebees managed to switch on an electric shaver. And Bernard, for the first time in his life, completely freed himself from his beautiful yellow and black fur, under the shouting and cheering of his mischievous friends. But then he watched in the mirror and had to recognize that the result didn`t please him as much as he expected. But hey, so what, it will grow again… THE END.

Thanks for the comments and for helping on the decision to take the “human” out of the image. Now this is my final image, unless you have good suggestions what else could be tweaked… :bounce: Good luck to all entries! :bounce:

This is the little story of the bumblebee Bernard who wanted to impress his friends with a funny experiment. It was one of these boring days, when they were as usual looking for some nonsense to get involved in, when the three bumblebees managed to switch on an electric shaver. And Bernard, for the first time in his life, completely freed himself from his beautiful yellow and black fur, under the shouting and cheering of his mischievous friends. But then he watched in the mirror and had to recognize that the result didn`t please him as much as he expected. But hey, so what, it will grow again… THE END.

Sorry, this was posted twice, I don’t know why, maybe because I hit the F5 key and reloaded the “submit” page… this is the second time this happened (the “fur test” is also doubled in my challenge history). Is there a way to delete accidentially double posts?

Hey Till, wooooooww awesome image!!! I love it!! Really cool concept on a wonderful funny way!! amazing!! ( poor Bernard… hahahahahaha :smiley: ) The execution of the idea its superb! And really thanks to take time to share with us your nice workflow in that detailed form (for sure a great tutorial !!). :thumbsup: Again, superb art work !! Bravo :applause: and best of luck mate!! … and surely time for a well deserved cold beers accompanied with a lot of tequila !!! Cheers my friend !! :beer:

Hi Till,

Your work looks great. And thanks for posting your informative images and text on the behind the scenes glimpse of the Photoshop and 3D image enhancements.