Strange Behavior (Illustration) Entry: Rianti Hidayat

Rianti Hidayat is entered in the “Strange Behavior Challenge” update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: Order of Masks -Topeng-

Hi guys!
This is the 1’st time i participate in the challenge (i really interested in the theme), and here’s my idea and draft:

• There comes one era, where human can no longer express themselves properly. So they should use mask to express everything (they bring the masks variation everywhere). But, the ‘smiling mask’ is one of the most expensive to buy, and the poor can’t afford it.

I use some parable here. Anyway, we all are using mask everyday, aren’t we? And indeed to be happy is one of the expensive things in the world.

I just still need to think of the emotional scene that can express this entire concept. This draft wanna describe how ashame the poor that cannot ‘smile’ in such performance, and being laugh at by his surroundings. In the scene, the boy/girl run away from the surroundings…
But i think this scene not yet emotional. Any comment or crits?

Thank you,

Rianti

thats impressive, very few would go that far. the image you intend to illustrate is somewhat deep and has a message. i think thats cool. go for it. your right about the mask people in some ways do have their personal mask ( a form of hypocrisy)

Hi Rianti,

I like a lot your idea very good subject as well! the composition so far its not describeing the idea very well but I bet its the 1sth sketch, so good work! and I really hope you can post some updates of the masks and the compositions with the emotions that your chracters will play with them.

Take Care and Have FUN!:slight_smile:

Hi Rianti!

I do agree with Axel,and I am very curious to see how youre going to develop this dificult and nice Idea!Its not an easy job,good luck ! I`ll be watching!

Your idea is really nice, but I agree with Axel and Doug. Perhaps you can see your idea from another approach, a happy person with no mask in a world full of people using masks… mmmm… :slight_smile: only a comment :slight_smile:

Hi Rianti! Your idea is really nice. A deep concept. I’ll be watching your development.
My two cents: What kind of faces are under the masks?
Cheers!

our bidea is very good… checked your other work out… really love your stuff… this could be great… no crits as such , just o a few more compositions

This is the final draft. Finally i found the fit view for the scene. Sorry for taking so long, my last assignment and graduation took longer than i expected.
As you can see there’s a boy/ or girl that assamed of him/herself for having no proper mask for the fun upstairs.

And some of other are mocking him/her, because only the poor that cannot afford to buy the ‘happy mask’.
c& c welcome.

Actualy i’m already in progress of coloring. I’ll upload it as soon as i can. i know i’m late but i’ll try to finish it.

Rianti

Thank you guys,

Nigio : actually under the mask is just exactly like ours… i want to make it as close as our life.
Ferx : That an awesome idea. it would be great to develop. See if i have time left to develop teh idea. thanks. The big udea is to create critics for ourselves :slight_smile: Since we’re all want to be happy…and the happy mask is the most expensive.

Yeah…it’s not easy job…i really stuck in compositing a whole time. and so this is the final draft. I would like to hear you opinion. I want to make it extremely detail.

Umm…i use manga and game style however…mixed with my style. Hope you like it.

I wonder if the whole composition should be colorful, red, or green? which one would you think best?

Regards,

Rianti

what a great concept, and excellent line art may i add. too bad you don’t have a lot of time left to develop this. but hey, you’re working fast, and miracles are possible here. i’ll be watching your thread buddy, best of luck…

This is delicious, there will be lots to take in. :smiley: I am very excited for this one, I really want to see how this turns out. Best of luck and quick hands!:thumbsup:

Here’s the overall basic color. I want to create the noisy and messed up town…that’s why i called the image : sector M 45K…(mask)…i admit it’s a bad name. If you all have better idea, i would gladly consider it.

And i’m currently working on the detail on the city below :

Ooooo…very interesting! I’m liking the colors you have too :slight_smile:

I DIG your idea, very very nice, and excellent work so far… I’d love to see it finished, so, please, hurry up!:slight_smile:

There comes one era, where human can no longer express themselves properly. So they should use mask to express everything (they bring the masks variation everywhere). But, the ‘smiling mask’ is one of the most expensive to buy, and the poor can’t afford it.

I use some parable here. Anyway, we all are using mask everyday, aren’t we? And indeed to be happy is one of the expensive things in the world.

The scene is about a girl/boy who want to see the performance upstairs, but since she/he have no ‘happy mask’, she/he watched the performance from afar. When she/he was discovered by the others, he/she feel ashamed and ‘losing face’ for not be able to express the joy. He/she run as fast as she/he could. Even her/his friend neglect his/her by only seeing and no helping.
The llustration was made sequenced by visual language(bahasa rupa technique) so we can understand what happen.

Here’s The details…

Hey…the deadline being extended…maybe i can improve this image better…comment and crits are welcome…

There comes one era, where human can no longer express themselves properly. So they should use mask to express everything (they bring the masks variation everywhere). But, the ‘smiling mask’ is one of the most expensive to buy, and the poor can’t afford it.

The scene is about a girl/boy who want to see the performance upstairs, but since she/he have no ‘happy mask’, she/he watched the performance from afar. When she/he was discovered by the others, he/she feel ashamed and ‘losing face’ for not be able to express the joy. He/she run as fast as she/he could. Even her/his friend neglect his/her by only seeing and no helping.
The llustration was made sequenced by visual language(bahasa rupa technique) so we can understand what happen.

Oh yeah, almost forgot.

I only added some shading so the image no too flat, the changes in text, and also some details.

I wanna thank you all who already encourage me and give me c&c, and to all contestant as well. You’re all great!
Thanks,

This a really original piece here in the challenge, In theme, technic, color and composition.
Great work!! !! !!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: